bottle feeding newborn question

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Im speaking hypothetical and just thinking about different circumstances that I could encounter. So my question is: If one must bottle feed a calf, obviously it must get colostrum very soon after birth, but does this colostrum have to be from the same breed? For example if I was to go get some milk containing colostrum from my friends dairy cows and gave it to a new born angus calf will this have the same effect or does it have to be from the same breed? I assume this is right because if you buy it from a place like southern states there isn't different types for each breed. (Atleast to my knowledge.)

Any breed will work. I get mine from a dairy and freeze it in single serve amounts so I only have to thaw what I need. Do not thaw in the microwave.

I use cow colostrum for calves, goats, sheep or whatever needs it. You can freeze it in an ice tray for smaller animals and put it in a freezer bag after its frozen or water bottles for calves. Always take some off easy cows that just need some feed to stay still. You never know when you will need it.

Alright thanks for clarifying. I assumed that was right because I had heard of people freezing it. I know it would be easier to milk a holstein than trying to milk a beef cow. Haha. So I guess my next question is, do you have to get the milk at a certain time or will anytime work?

There is also a product available that is a dried powder that can be reconsituted with arm water and fed. It's not as good as colcostum from a cow right at calving but it beats nothing. The main problem with it is that it has an expiration date so you can;t buy it and keep it for a year unless the date is far enough away.

Dun, or others, what are your thoughts on how long to keep the frozen colostrum? I always get new before I start calving but really don't know why other than I just think its time to get a fresh supply.

kenny thomas":1wc4yl95 said:
Dun, or others, what are your thoughts on how long to keep the frozen colostrum? I always get new before I start calving but really don't know why other than I just think its time to get a fresh supply.
I prefer to use it within a year, if kept in a non-frostfree freezer it will probably last longer. But it's easy for us to get it from a friends dairy so we just get new at the beginning of calving season.

something else. the calf must get the colostrum within a certain time frame for optimum benefit. i don't remember exactly but it is like 48 hours (?)
after that time , the calf cannot absorb or utilize the antibodies in the colostrum.

chippie":1q585u5e said:
something else. the calf must get the colostrum within a certain time frame for optimum benefit. i don't remember exactly but it is like 48 hours (?)
after that time , the calf cannot absorb or utilize the antibodies in the colostrum.
It's usually said to be 24 hours but anything after 12 is not very affective

Latest posts