Bottle feeding and nursing questioin

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
Hello... we are very new at calving. We had two new babies born with two different Momma's. The one is doing great.... the other...well... she would not nurse, we started bottle feeding and he is taking it but still very weak. Had the vet out he gave him something to get him some energy I can't remember the name and a antibotic. The momma has plenty of milk... what are the chances that he will start nursing. It there a way to make him try his Momma... he seems like he don't know what to do. I noticed that when I bottle feed him his tounge is really big. Not sure if that is normal or what.. we have never bottle fed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,

How old is the calf? Did it get colostrum within the first 24 hours (12 hours is best)? Did you pull the calf, or did the cow have trouble having him?

If the calf had a difficult birth, that could be what your problem is. Sometimes with a hard birth their head and tongue will be swollen up, and if the calf was deprived of oxygen during the birth, that can cause him to be slow to suck, and you may have to teach him how and where. If his tongue is swollen, that makes it very difficult for him to suck, as he cannot get the tongue wrapped around the teat well enough to suck. With time the swelling will go down.

Since he is sucking a bottle, you should be able to teach him to suck the cow. You will have to restrain her, a headgate would be best, but a halter will also work. Headgate or tie her up somewhere where you can ALSO tie a hind leg back. Unless she is used to being worked with, it is a good idea to tie a hind leg, so she cannot kick you. Get a rope looped around her hind leg (be careful doing this) and pull her leg back a bit, just far enough back that it is not off the ground, but that she cannot bring it forward to kick you. Now you can get the calf up to her and work with him, on the same side as the tied leg. You will want him hungry, as he will not be at all interested otherwise. Maybe give him enough milk to whet his appetite, and so he is looking for more, then get him up to the cow and get the teat in his mouth, stand behind him and push/hold him while you or a helper works to get him sucking.

randiliana":989gfn94 said:
Unless she is used to being worked with, it is a good idea to tie a hind leg, so she cannot kick you. Get a rope looped around her hind leg (be careful doing this) and pull her leg back a bit, just far enough back that it is not off the ground, but that she cannot bring it forward to kick you.

I use to do the same thing until I was told the following, which I find simpler and safer. Put the rope around one of the front legs, and tie the leg up so it is off the ground (I happen to have a beam I can put the rope over). Once the cow is on 1 front leg and 2 back legs, she can not kick. She may try once, but I have never had a cow try more than once. The real nice thing is that it is easier to put the rope around the front leg than the back. I usually have the leg high enough so the knee is bent.

It was not a difficult birth.. but he is really big. I do NOT think he nursed at all before I finally had to give him the bottle. He still does not have a lot of energy but is standing more today than yesterday. I may try the leg tie trick... I don't know.... I DON'T want to get kicked. She is pretty good about letting me feed her though. How long and how ofter should we bottle feed?

No offence ,but you had your vet out didn't you ask any questions and write things down?

Bottle feeding depends on weight , age and how much a calf can handle. So at least twice a day and the key is to give as much as they can handle without getting milk scours. How much does the calf weigh and DO NOT eye ball it; weigh the thing.

Get some milk replacer at least 20-20-20. Higher if you can for the first two weeks 26 20 20.

Weigh your calf and get back to us.

Being a cattle owner you got to do a few things you are not going to like.

You will get better results if the calf sucks the momma. Give it anafin, a non steriodal anti inflamatory. It will help to reduce the tongue swelling. Treat for a couple of days

You are going to have to get the calf to suck the cow. All suggestions given were great. Another is to use to pannels and make a make shift squeeze. Secure one pannel to a good rale fence and the other use to squeeze the cow with ropes. We had a pannel specific for this with the bar cut out to get the calf at the bag of a cow. Now we use a mat pen. Much better and safer for things like this and easy to use.
This is a two man or woman job. You can also take the cows tail and drape it gentle over her back in the shape of a "C"(person 1). Do not pull to hard so not to damage the spinal nerve. She can not kick this way.
Now the calf will be stubborn and it will take you to be more stubborn (person 2). Get the calf up to the bag, squirt a few squirts in it's mouth, fight and fight some more, then shove the teat in it's mouth and fight some more and then maybe some more. Once he gets the idea, look out. You'll be happy you did this. Edit: and exhausted!!

Milk replacer is a frightful price, especially the good stuff (stay away from the cheap). You've paid for this cow over the winter by feeding it. You've paid for the mineral, the pasture. By feeding mik replacer to a calf with a perfectly good momma, you are giving the momma a free ride. Add milk replacer to the bill and there will be no profit.
It's okay to feed milk replacer in times like this for a feeding or two, but after that, gotta get the momma to do the work. That is what you are paying her to do.

Good luck,

RR

cah":1fsx2h58 said:
... she would not nurse, we started bottle feeding and he is taking it but still very weak. Had the vet out he gave him something to get him some energy I can't remember the name and a antibotic. The momma has plenty of milk... what are the chances that he will start nursing. It there a way to make him try his Momma... he seems like he don't know what to do. I noticed that when I bottle feed him his tounge is really big. Not sure if that is normal or what.. we have never bottle fed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,

The tongue being big sounds like delivery problems, and her head swelled as a result of the pressure of Mom's contractions, and the delay of delivery. When that happens, it is difficult for a calf to nurse, because they cannot control their tongue. I cannot believe that your vet didn't suggest either putting Mom in the chute, and helping the calf nurse - or, better yet, milking Mom and tubing the calf with the colostrum every few hours until the swelling went down and she could nurse. When was this calf born? Why did you not do your homework about what to watch for/how to care for the calf in case of problems? Colostrum is essential and the calf only has roughly 24 hours to get colostrum - and the ability to absorb the antibodies decreases with each passing hour. I don't understand.

Great news! Sunday Morning the baby would not take the bottle... I got up at 5 A.M. and also tried to feed again at 9A.M. no luck the baby would not take the bottle... I pushed him over by the momma and he latched on big time! I think during the night he got hungery and found his momma. Thank you all for your help and I will print it for the future. To the ones that questioned us on doing our homework we did do our homework but like I said we are new at this and would like to get opinions, I'm sure you all did not know all the "details" and "tricks" to getting the baby to drink and other things that go wrong with calving on your first year. The reason I asked about how much bottle to feed was just a question, My husband did know the anwser he did ask the vet and I didn't know it.. we love our little guys and just want what is best for them. The reason our vet didn't suggest trying the momma right off is because the calf was too weak to even stand... he told us when his energy was up that was the time to try... But we lucked out and he latched on by himself. :banana: Thanks again for all your input especailly those that were nice.

Thanks

Latest posts