Bottle Feed???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If you buy a small young calf at the action barn (I know it's not a good idea) and bring it home, how do you no what to feed it regilar calf feed or bottle feed with milk replacer. THANKS for any advise>

[email protected]

My advice to you if you are going to buy a bottle calf is try to get one that has at least nursed on momma to get colostrum. They will be much more apt to make it. Then when you get them home put them on milk replacer. The key to raising bottle calves is More is not better!! Only give them a half a bottle to get them started. I like to buy the better milk replacers rather than the cheaper brands. They really do perform better on them and they mix a lot easier. At about a week or so I would start offering a calf starter feed. These usually have quite a bit of molasses in them....they wont eat a lot but just leave it out and they will eventually start eating on it. If you do see any scours just make sure you get on it quick..either give them some sulfur tabs, LA200, and there are a lot of other ways of treating them, just depends on what you want to do and what they respond to. Well hope this helps. Good Luck!!

> If you buy a small young calf at
> the action barn (I know it's not a
> good idea) and bring it home, how
> do you no what to feed it regilar
> calf feed or bottle feed with milk
> replacer. THANKS for any
> advise>