bottle calves

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
i have been raising bottle calves that i get from different area dairies and have noticed that most dairies do not offer water to there calves.they are normally about 1 week when i get them and i have fresh water in front of them at all times.they all drink it and still drink 2 bottles a day. why would a person not offer water,especially in this heat.i could maybe see it in the winter when there are freezing temps.i dont want to question the dairymen who have been at it for years but it just seems ignorant to not offer them water.

Piedmon....all the good calf raisers I know put fresh water AND feed in front of the calves the day they put them on the bottle. The won't eat and drink much for a while but eventually love it.

If you read a dozen articles on the best way to raise calves (written by people with years of experience) you will find a dozen different methods.

as soon as we get new calves we offer fresh water and calf starter.not too much starter because they dont eat much at first and they wont eat any if its not fresh,so we throw out any they dont eat every morning.

piedmontese":2xtv4c1g said:
as soon as we get new calves we offer fresh water and calf starter.not too much starter because they dont eat much at first and they wont eat any if its not fresh,so we throw out any they dont eat every morning.
Thats the way to do it.

I am wondering if maybe the dairies don't offer water (I have never seen baby calves offered water), in order to keep their areas dry ??? Thats all I can figure. Wet bedding in a confined area is a death trap. Just a guess though.

all the dairies around here keep calves in huts with a wire panel in front that extends out and that is where they give them there milk so they could just as easily offer water there too.

piedmontese":3d7jok0m said:
all the dairies around here keep calves in huts with a wire panel in front that extends out and that is where they give them there milk so they could just as easily offer water there too.
That's the way the wife raised them as well. We moved the igloos and the wire fenced "front yard" every other day too to but water and textured calf starter was also avaiable at all times.