Bottle Calves update

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":1gzqxj9c said:
From limo's, shorthorns and jerseys, I would say max of 10 - 15 cm (sorry guys I work in metric). But I've never seen a non-dehorned friesian.

Larry - re:

The only thing I would add to that is if young children can come in contact with the cattle, dehorn them.

You do know that if an animal wants to hurt a kid, there are many more ways it can achieve that besides its horns???

Townies around here always say ooh, look at his great big horns, you wouldnt want him to attack you. Well between hooves, teeth and their head, they dont need horns to attack you.
No, I didn't know that .
Thanks

Larry

I will say this...the holstein bull that attacked my grandfather did not have horns, however...had he had horns, instead of my grandfather being beaten to pieces, he'd have been beaten and ripped to pieces.

As children, my brother and I would get some of the larger animals running around their pen and would climb up on the fence and jump on them. Had they not been dehorned, we'd have been in one mell of a hess. 'Course, when daddy caught us we were in one mell of a hess anyway.

There is something to be said for dehorning for safety...especially when it comes to knot headed kids.

Alice

An animal doesn;t nedd to "want to hurt" anyone. They're big and stupid. The analogy of the bull in the china shop comes to mind. I've been accidentally (I like to think) bumped by an ox when yoking it. He was a calf but that little 2 inch long semipointed horn hurt a whole lot worse then if it was a smooth head.

Alice and dun, some wise words from people that know what they are talking about, and thats not to mention damage to equipment and other cattle.

Larry

larryshoat":2tokvtsc said:
Alice and dun, some wise words from people that know what they are talking about, and thats not to mention damage to equipment and other cattle.

Larry

Cripes, I forgot about the equipment! My 2003 Frontier P/U is in perfect condition, with less than 30,000 miles. One tiny problem, however...over the driver's side rear tire on the bed are long, long, deep scratches...from, uh huh, my undehorned steer that we had to get rid of because he hooked my sister-in-law unintentionally, but hooked her never the less.

AND, my car...my beautiful CTS...it also bears the markings of that steer. Van was not amused by this at all.

Alice

Alice":3syirtyh said:
larryshoat":3syirtyh said:

Larry

Cripes, I forgot about the equipment! My 2003 Frontier P/U is in perfect condition, with less than 30,000 miles. One tiny problem, however...over the driver's side rear tire on the bed are long, long, deep scratches...from, uh huh, my undehorned steer that we had to get rid of because he hooked my sister-in-law unintentionally, but hooked her never the less.

AND, my car...my beautiful CTS...it also bears the markings of that steer. Van was not amused by this at all.

Alice
Sometimes I think when you get a new vehicle you should just take a hammer and put a small ding in just to get it over with. :)

Larry

larryshoat":3gk6uxwq said:
Alice":3gk6uxwq said:
larryshoat":3gk6uxwq said:

Larry

Alice
Sometimes I think when you get a new vehicle you should just take a hammer and put a small ding in just to get it over with. :)

Larry

:lol2:

Just out of curiousity, how far do you plan to finish these calves out to, weight wise. And, how much do you figure you'll have in them? (if that's getting to personal, I understand)

Just curious as to how others do it. :)

Medic,

Thanks for the advice.

Question about creep feeding... Is there special creep feed that I can buy at the feed store, and just leave it out for them free choice along with hay? Would I do this until time to finish them a couple of months before they go into the freezer? How much feed can I expect each one to eat per day?

Thanks

Tim

Oh Gees now you are asking an imponderable.

Everyone feeds differently to suite their own needs..........when wanting good gain, I would feed minimum of 3-4 lbs of feed per animal per day, up to 10 lbs max. BUT gees, i wouldn't see a need to feed near that much especially if you are looking at the bottom line here.

As far as size before going to the butcher, there once again is another personal choice..........I have no problem sending a milk breed to the can around 750 lbs plus..........I wouldn't want it much more then 1100 lbs max before it goes.

Of course smaller breeds such as jersey's would go from 600 lbs up to 800, as it takes so much time and feed to get them much over the 600 lb mark. But i love young Jersey meat so, I tend to send them on around 600 lbs, like I said, it's all a personal thing, and how much money you want to put into it.

As I mentioned before, corn is a great feed for putting on weight, especially fattening them the few months before the knife hit's their throat, and lot's of folks enjoy the flavor it imparts in the meat. :cboy:

So, if I decide to creep feed, do I just feed free choice? In other words, do I put out 2 or 3 bags of feed, and just let my calves eat as much as they want? Or do I measure the amounts I put out each day?

Thanks

Tim

9 weeks? Free choice, but don;t dump alot, keep fresh each day. They are pickier than they should be.

How long should I let them eat free choice? Until they are 6 months old? Or can I let them eat free choice all the way until they go to the freezer (I am guessing about 15 months)

Tim

Latest posts