bottle calves - nurse cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks to me like she's feeding more calves than she's got milk for.
You'd get a better idea of how they're all doing by going to look... I'm presuming that's her first set of calves and they're now 8 - 12 weeks, that black one is far too skinny for that age and as far as I can see the white one behind it is just as bad. Drop her back to two calves and/or give her a bit of feed - but maybe there are calves not in the pic stealing off her too?

That 3-titter in the other thread would do for a nurse cow, I wouldn't bet on selling her on easily but she could rear a good few calves for you. If she's dry and also open that's no use (if she's the one in the centre of the pic she looks dry).
It's quite possible for a cow who "will take any calf" to change her mind at some point in the future... one of mine did. I think she had bad memories of chewed teats.

regolith":3i1e5emd said:
Looks to me like she's feeding more calves than she's got milk for.
You'd get a better idea of how they're all doing by going to look... I'm presuming that's her first set of calves and they're now 8 - 12 weeks, that black one is far too skinny for that age and as far as I can see the white one behind it is just as bad. Drop her back to two calves and/or give her a bit of feed - but maybe there are calves not in the pic stealing off her too?

That 3-titter in the other thread would do for a nurse cow, I wouldn't bet on selling her on easily but she could rear a good few calves for you. If she's dry and also open that's no use (if she's the one in the centre of the pic she looks dry).
It's quite possible for a cow who "will take any calf" to change her mind at some point in the future... one of mine did. I think she had bad memories of chewed teats.

Great points. I emailed them.