Bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
If I bought a bottle calf from a sake barn does it run a higher chance of getting sick then say another older calf........and can you mix aeromyicine(sp?) with it's bottle once a day? Thanks

If the calf didn't get colostrum, it will get sick a lot easier.I wouldn't give it any antibiotics unless there's a need to, like being sick. I'm not a huge fan of preventative antibiotics

We used standard medicated 20:20 milk replacer and gave them a shot of Nuflor as we unloaded them. That's the only time we used antibiotics without an actaul problem to treat. Chances are they had something or were exposed to something but hadn;t shown signs of it yet

Dixieangus":39v24gpi said:
did those calves get sick dun....and did you buy them at a sale barn
No they didn;t and yes that's where we got them. For the ones we bought straight from the farm we didn;t give them anything other thrn the medicated MR

Haven't bought bottle calves for years, but when we did, vet had us give a pennicillin shot (doesn't burn like oxytet) and a shot of complex B vitamins. The B vitamins made them "hungry" and they quickly got over fear and sucked a bottle by the time we made it home - 1-2 hours later.
Valerie

Dixieangus":2lpnrzj5 said:
If I bought a bottle calf from a sake barn does it run a higher chance of getting sick then say another older calf........and can you mix aeromyicine(sp?) with it's bottle once a day? Thanks

Look at the calf's navel chord. Is it dry all the way up to the stomach? If so the calf is likely a few days old and had colostrums from its natural dam.

ok so i will be buying one for a neighbor.....There is a dairy about 7 miles from me so i could get a holestein maybe even a heifer.... But wich would be best holestein calf that would more than likely already know what a bottle is or take a chance on a beef calf at a sale.

I would probably by the holstein since it would be on a bucket or bottle already, and I would buy two instead of having one lone calf they just seem to do better with a buddy