Bottle Calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":3jwniziq said:
It all made perfect sense to me. Glad your babies are doing fine ~ don't sweat the rest.

Angie, at least someone has enough sense to read and comprehend a straightforward message.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... es&start=0

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:07 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z&J Cattle
Just thought I would share this experience that I had yesterday. Here it goes:

I took a day off from my "real job", being that I am just a hobby farmer as some would put it. I was doing some bush-hogging and right after noon the bush-hog tore up. I decided not to waste the rest of the day working on it and that I would just do something else. We had a new bull calf that was born on Sunday and I noticed that he was sleeping in the pasture, so I decided that I would go ahead and cut him. I called the cows up to feed them in the corral, and they all came right up, even the new momma. I closed them in the corral while they ate, thinking I would just slip down in the pasture and cut the calf. I have never tried to cut one without someone else there to help hold him, but it seemed like a good opportunity, so I gave it a shot. I got out of the truck, he jumped up, I caught him and threw him. I couldn't get him tied up well enough that I felt comfortable cutting him with no help, so rather than force the issue, I just let him up. He took off walking toward the West fence (which is also toward the highway). I hurried to the corral to let his momma out so they could get reunited. When I went back to where I last saw him, he was not there. You guessed it! He went under the fence and there he was, standing across the highway looking lost. I jumped in my truck and went out the front gate. By this time, he was in the neighbor's back pasture steadily heading West. I drove up to him and of course, he ran. So I chased him, roped him, (and by the way, I am no roper, I can't believe I got him in only one throw). I got him tied up and into the back of the truck. I thought the worst was over and I was just going to take him back home. I was wrong. I pulled up next to the corral and got into the back of the truck to untie him. He bawled, and another cow (not his momma) came from across the farm and tried aggresively to get into the bed of the truck with me. She ran me up onto the roof actually. I finally managed to fake her out and get my passenger side door open so that I could climb down into the cab. I backed into the corral and she followed, then she walked out. So I jumped out quickly and locked myself in the corral. I untied the calf and called the cows back up again. When the calf and his momma spotted each other,I let him go. They went right back to doing their thing like nothing ever happened. But, I did manage to learn a few lessons out of all of this. One more thing, I was covered from head to toe in yellow calf poop! Anyway, just thought I would share that interesting experience. Well, it was interesting at the time anyway!

Zach

This original post is very funny and thank goodness it turned out so well for Zach. However it is not even close to what you posted in this one. Msscamp was just giving her years of experience and opinion to help.If you disagree that is fine but there is know need to change the story. Like I said before I am glad that your calves are doing well. Twins are tricky. FYI only you can check your profile and your posts still come up:

(No topics or posts met your search criteria)

Maybe it's a glitch with the forum.FWIW the only reason I posted your previous post was so everyone can read it because it is a good story.

O M G!!! What story am I changing??? :mad: :mad: :mad: I do not understand where you are getting that I am changing any story. Your going to have to explain this one to me, because I absolutely do not know what you are talking about. Again, if you are accusing me of being dishonest or making something up, then you and I have got a serious problem. The story that you cut and pasted was something that happened almost 2 years ago and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my problem on the twin calves. Where you are connecting the two is beyond me. All I said was that I learned the hard way not to startle a new calf without momma around. Again, show me where I am changing ANY story.

Sorry :oops: You didn't change a story, however how it is interpreted by different people makes things change.Like what was stated before, funny first post.BTW do you still cut all your young ones?JC?

And to answer constructively to help your twins I would keep them (all three) separate for a while and add some grain to the cows diet so her milk production stays up especially two months form now when those babies are going to need a lot of milk and your cow should be getting bred back.

Also if you see that one is not doing so well you can intervene as they will be used to you being around them.

Good luck with your new ones and hope all goes well :) .

Z&J,
I'm sorry youre having such a hard time with those two. (i'm talking about msscamp and hillsdown--not the twins). I've been trying to find the scratching head emoticon but this one will have to do instead. :???: I dont know what their deal is. Maybe something went WAY over my head. But dont let it deter you from posting in the future.

Beefy in case you didn't see I apologized for the misunderstanding.Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding of your original posts' add ons.

Hopefully Z & J will accept my apology and move on , as I forgive her for a very snotty remark as well.

Also, we all have our dumb dumb times :oops: apparently this was mine (not the first and I am sure not the last) as I am only human. ;-)

hillsdown":17vgi8h3 said:
Beefy in case you didn't see I apologized for the misunderstanding.Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding of your original posts' add ons.

Hopefully Z & J will accept my apology and move on , as I forgive her for a very snotty remark as well. <--mature

i saw. i still felt the need to address Z&J and let him/her know that i think y'all were out of line and not to let it deter him/her from posting in the future.

Also, we all have our dumb dumb times Embarassed apparently this was mine (not the first and I am sure not the last) as I am only human. Wink
You added the above while i was posting my reply. I completely understand. my original intention was to encourage Z&J, not so much to slap your hand with a ruler.

hillsdown, I do accept your apology and I too am sorry for the snotty comment that I made and hope you will accept that. I try my hardest not to argue on the boards, but don't want to be made to sound like a liar either. One thing though. You did say SHE made a snotty comment. My name is Zach and I am a HE. lol :lol: Don't know if I can forgive you on that one. :lol: :lol:

Z&J Cattle":2f0mlnoh said:
hillsdown, I do accept your apology
One thing though. You did say SHE made a snotty comment. My name is Zach and I am a HE. lol :lol: Don't know if I can forgive you on that one. :lol: :lol:

Thank you Zach and it was completely my fault no need to apologize.Now that my head has been removed from my but I am sure everything will be fine :oops: ;-) .

Sorry I didn't mean to "steer" you.So I apologize for the faux pas.

Again good luck with the twins.

Beefy":1gahlb11 said:
Z&J,
I'm sorry youre having such a hard time with those two. (i'm talking about msscamp and hillsdown--not the twins).

I don't have a clue what you're talking about - perhaps you could enlighten me, all knowing one?