Bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I bought a 3 week old Angus Heifer that is a Free Martin/twin to a bull. She's skinny and flighty, the guy said she's been on a bottle for 2 weeks, I've had her for 4 days, but until today she wouldn't let me touch her, which is when I discovered that she has a inch and a half long place sewn up on her neck and another triangle shape on her shoulder sewn up, the guy didn't say anything about it. Just wondering if anyone has ever bought a calf sewn up, and the guy didn't say anything about it. I'm curious how she got hurt? You can see the spot on her shoulder.

Attachments

• KIMG1290.JPG
    KIMG1290.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
  • KIMG1289.JPG
    KIMG1289.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • KIMG1288.JPG
    KIMG1288.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • KIMG1291.JPG
    KIMG1291.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Ain't no telling.
She may have got tangled up in a fence being chased down when mama would t take care of her. Or if they used a dog for help to catch her.
Guess the possibilities are endless really...

Nice to see ya gotcha a lil project tho!
Cute as a button!

Sad about what happened to the calf. I doubt the seller will tell you anything. Makes me wonder if being a twin/free martin is the truth.

My thought was a dog because of where the cuts are, and I've had a calf attacked by a dog before and it went for the neck area. Thank you, I enjoy the baby calves! I will have to get a picture of my other projects lol.

Sad about what happened to the calf. I doubt the seller will tell you anything. Makes me wonder if being a twin/free martin is the truth.
I know, I wonder that also,he said she's out of his registered Angus herd, he also has a registered herd of charloise cattle. I didn't see a single black cow on his property lol

She could be a calf that he tried to graft on a charolais that lost a calf, and she wouldn't take it? Really, doesn't matter what happened to it, raise it up, get the vet to check it if you keep it to breeding size, and they can pretty much tell you if it is "good" inside... then you will know if it is breedable.... or just raise it and beef it.

I just haven't bought a calf before that was injured without the owner telling me what happened to it. If you read my original post, you will see that I was asking if anyone else has ever bought an injured animal without the original owner telling you about it? I also said I was curious how she was injured, (but) I don't expect Anyone on here to have the answer.. Only the original owner can answer that.

My vet said 90% chance to be infertile. My neighbors said they have a 50% fertility experience.

One of my dairy farmers has a better than 50% fertility rate in twins with a bull,, heifer... but most all my experiences with the beef cattle, are with them being infertile.
I have never bought a calf or cow, even, direct from someone that had been injured and not told to me... but have gotten a few from the sale barn that have had some things that were not revealed.

That's interesting how the dairy one's have a higher fertility rate. I bought this calf from an individual. Sale barns seem hit and miss. Which I'm sure there's plenty of healthy cattle at sale barns, if a person is experienced what to look for.

Latest posts