Bottle Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Little heifer black and white baldy born Dec 30th. Ended up being a bottle baby. First bottle calf I have done. I gave her colostrum the first 24 hours, now giving her 3 bottles a day. I followed the directions on milk replacer and it says 2quarts per feeding but the little one had a it of scours this morning. Still super healthy, wide awake, frisky and wants to play. Suggestions? Should I cut back on the bottle amount? And can I give a Probios paste to help her out?

Attachments

• 9B63654E-5304-473A-9244-9E919EE68A1C.jpeg
    9B63654E-5304-473A-9244-9E919EE68A1C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
Make sure you're using a quality milk based (not soy) replacer. Some mild scouring is to be expected. As long as she's perky and not running a temp she should be fine. Probios paste may help & certainly won't hurt her.

Make sure you're using a quality milk based (not soy) replacer. Some mild scouring is to be expected. As long as she's perky and not running a temp she should be fine. Probios paste may help & certainly won't hurt her.
Yes I'm using an unmedicated, non soy 20/20 calf milk replacer. I only noticed the scours because of that distinct smell... otherwise she's completely happy and perky!

Some people will disagree, but I have always heard to start them out slow and build up to the recommended amount of milk. That is how we do it and have had much better success than giving the full amount that early on. They can get dehydrated pretty quick from scours. I also try to get them on a calf starter/developer ration as soon as possible. After a few days of age I will put a little of the feed in their mouths after bottling and leave some in a pan on the gate for them to have free choice.

Some people will disagree, but I have always heard to start them out slow and build up to the recommended amount of milk. That is how we do it and have had much better success than giving the full amount that early on. They can get dehydrated pretty quick from scours. I also try to get them on a calf starter/developer ration as soon as possible. After a few days of age I will put a little of the feed in their mouths after bottling and leave some in a pan on the gate for them to have free choice.
That makes sense. Thank you for the input! I may back her off to half the amount in smaller feedings for the first week and then increase. Thank you!

If your able to feed 3 a day that's great! Time is usually the issue.
I have found if they scour a bit, they soon snap out of it. Just part of getting their system going. If she up and waiting for that bottle 3 times a day, I'd dang sure do it.

Just keep ur eyes on her. Shouldnt be a problem.

I would cut her back to 3/4 of a bottle morning and night and only give her half a bottle in the middle of the day. For the first week and slowly move her up after the first week. Also a shot of Exceed from your vet will make scours go away fast.

I agree that she is getting too much milk right off the bat. I have raised more than my share of bottle calves. Starting out a little slower and working up is better. When the cow first calves, the calf only drinks 1-2 pints at a nursing. The cow is not producing her max milk for at least 30-60 days. The calf does not need that much when her little tummy is not ready for it. You actually cause her system to try to pass on the excess milk over what she can digest, so it runs out the other end as scours. I start out with less, and if there is the time, 3 times a day feeding is better than twice.... more like nature..... work up to a full bottle after about 10 days to 2 weeks.

If she is eating and still seems to have the squirts, try some immodium AD anti-diarrhea . I have used it often in a calf to just slow down the speed in which the milk goes through the calf. Granted, we are different than cattle.... but a baby calf is only operating on the one simple stomach that digests the milk for several weeks before the rumen starts to get stimulated and develops. So, it works..... I try to not use anti-biotics as that will just upset the gut bacteria..... pro-biotics sure won't hurt.... but a brand new calf is just getting started, so the "true stomach" that digests the milk is what you need to protect.

While there's nothing wrong with starting slow and working them up to more milk, I wouldn't back her down from 3 bottles a day at this point. Scours from excess milk feeding are short lived and harmless as long as you're consistent. She'll adjust and grow like a weed.

If your able to feed 3 a day that's great! Time is usually the issue.
I have found if they scour a bit, they soon snap out of it. Just part of getting their system going. If she up and waiting for that bottle 3 times a day, I'd dang sure do it.

Just keep ur eyes on her. Shouldnt be a problem.
Yes she is sucking down each bottle! I'm not even really sure if it is scours. It's not really liquid but just slightly runny, tan in color, and STINKY!

I would cut her back to 3/4 of a bottle morning and night and only give her half a bottle in the middle of the day. For the first week and slowly move her up after the first week. Also a shot of Exceed from your vet will make scours go away fast.
If it continues, I'll check with my vet about Exceed. Thank you!

I agree that she is getting too much milk right off the bat. I have raised more than my share of bottle calves. Starting out a little slower and working up is better. When the cow first calves, the calf only drinks 1-2 pints at a nursing. The cow is not producing her max milk for at least 30-60 days. The calf does not need that much when her little tummy is not ready for it. You actually cause her system to try to pass on the excess milk over what she can digest, so it runs out the other end as scours. I start out with less, and if there is the time, 3 times a day feeding is better than twice.... more like nature..... work up to a full bottle after about 10 days to 2 weeks.

If she is eating and still seems to have the squirts, try some immodium AD anti-diarrhea . I have used it often in a calf to just slow down the speed in which the milk goes through the calf. Granted, we are different than cattle.... but a baby calf is only operating on the one simple stomach that digests the milk for several weeks before the rumen starts to get stimulated and develops. So, it works..... I try to not use anti-biotics as that will just upset the gut bacteria..... pro-biotics sure won't hurt.... but a brand new calf is just getting started, so the "true stomach" that digests the milk is what you need to protect.
Great info, thank you very much! I think I will cut her back to a little less. I'm not even really sure if it is scours because it's not really the squirts, it's more of a runny tan looking stool that is really stinky.

Yes she is sucking down each bottle! I'm not even really sure if it is scours. It's not really liquid but just slightly runny, tan in color, and STINKY!
That sounds like healthy calf manure. It should be loose, but not run straight through bedding.

While there's nothing wrong with starting slow and working them up to more milk, I wouldn't back her down from 3 bottles a day at this point. Scours from excess milk feeding are short lived and harmless as long as you're consistent. She'll adjust and grow like a weed.
Great thank you. I appreciate the info. She's acting completely normal! Do you think 3 bottles a day is sufficient? Is that ok even if feeding at 5pm and then not until 7am?

Great thank you. I appreciate the info. She's acting completely normal! Do you think 3 bottles a day is sufficient? Is that ok even if feeding at 5pm and then not until 7am?
Three is definitely sufficient. Ideally they wouldn't go 14 hours between feedings, but it won't kill them if that's all that your schedule allows. What's important is that you get them on a routine and stick with it consistently.

Three is definitely sufficient. Ideally they wouldn't go 14 hours between feedings, but it won't kill them if that's all that your schedule allows. What's important is that you get them on a routine and stick with it consistently.
Ok great thank you! Just want to make sure I'm doing this right, my first bottle calf!

what kind of milk replacer, should be 20 percent fat & 20 percent protein 100 lb calf should have 2 quarts twice a day, if smaller less hungry calf is healthy calf. if he is scouring you need to give electrolytes for one feeding

what kind of milk replacer, should be 20 percent fat & 20 percent protein 100 lb calf should have 2 quarts twice a day, if smaller less hungry calf is healthy calf. if he is scouring you need to give electrolytes for one feeding
Yes, she's getting a good quality, non soy, 20/20 calf replacer. She's doing really well but I've noticed she hasn't pooped much? Eating a ton and frisky otherwise!

Latest posts