Bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rbettis

Reaction score
I have a 10 day old bottle calf that has just taken off in the last couple of days. I feed her 2 quarts twice a day with an electrolyte in between, and I offer her fresh water all day long which she will suck around on. This morning after her bottle she literally chased me wanting more so I filled her bottle back up with water and she drank it all! My question is, is filling her bottle back up with water like that good or bad?

backhoeboogie":huwuy9vv said:
There's no harm in giving her water. She needs to get started on feed and grass.

the extra water will help them not get hay belly. after milk shove some feed in her mouth let her chew then give her a little water , keep repeating and she will be eating in no time . also if you have a pasture mate that can teach her to eat it will go quicker.

I got 3 of those jokers right now. As long as they are getting their daily milk requirements, the extra water only helps. My youngest one is a bottomless tank. He'll take his milk water and just keep wanting more. He's a big bull calf and fits his name Big Boy. The older two heifers will take a bit of water but not real fond of it. I need to start beginning to work with them on a little feed but I'm planning on selling them Thursday at the sale barn. Those little jokers can be a headache and take to much time of my day. Yeah I'm probably gonna buy a Nurse Cow the next time I get stuck with bottle calves.

Latest posts