Bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Jdwest

Reaction score
I have a brangus calf that lost its mother on Tuesday this week. I have it in a dry shaded location with clean water available. It has taken to the bottle well and I'm currently feeding it two quarts twice a day but occasionally she won't take it all and her stomach is growling and making noises when I feed her. She is very lively and seems to be healthy .She had a loose poop today but it didn't look like scours. Should I be worried that she is taking scours or is it just loose naturally?

It sounds to me, that her digestive system/"stomach" is getting used to the change in milk, from momma's milk to "formula". She should be fine.

The moment she wont eat, take her off milk and give electrolytes only..Worm her for stomach worms, bottle calves get them easily. Soon as you see improvement, she can got back on milk. Call your vet and see if they feel medication is needed. BUt the most important thing to do at first is stop all milk if the calf quits eating with their normal gusto...

Make sure you're feeding a good quality milk. I haven't fooled with bottle calves in years, but it's my understanding that there are some soy based products out there that aren't much good.

Rafter S":3s77rf65 said:
Make sure you're feeding a good quality milk. I haven't fooled with bottle calves in years, but it's my understanding that there are some soy based products out there that aren't much good.

stay away from soy milk

If she is scoured yet still eating good, its probably stomach worms. Paste wormers are best for stomach worms. You can take a stool sample to your vet to find out why its runny. That way you are nipping the bud quick...