bottle calf with cough

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
i have 7 bottle calves all about a month old.this morning i noticed 2 of them coughing,one quite a bit the other a little.they all ate fine and acted ok but i went ahead and treated all 7 with resflor gold.tonite i added cough medicine to there bottles,vet said to do it and they all ate fine.the one that was coughing the most is still coughing about the same.none have scours.i guess all i can do now is watch them.anyone else got any ideas?

Seperate them. The sick ones. Stress induced pneumonia is really bad news. You could lose them all in a day or two in this heat. Keep a check on thier temp. If they develop a temp tell the vet you need banamine asap. If I were you I would go ahead and get some now.

I have had good results with banamine and nuflour in curing pneumonia.

piedmontese":2i6yl7yn said:
yea i think i will get some banamine n the morning and treat them all.
As bhb says, you have to have an antibiotic as well ~ banamine is essential in my opinion, but by itself will not work.

i treated them with resflor,which is nuflor and banamine mixed.so i guess i dont need to giv them more banamine?

piedmontese":16pq7am5 said:
i treated them with resflor,which is nuflor and banamine mixed.so i guess i dont need to giv them more banamine?
I don't know, I have not used that drug. I would say "no" ~ banamine is a life saver, but if over used can cause more problems than it solves. Someone else might know better. I am thinking that if they are still symptomatic it would be a good idea to switch antibiotics.

well i only treated them today at 2p.m. so how long until i should see improvement?

alisonb":1lvj11mh said:
The coughing may very well not be pneumonia but due to milk on the lungs?

Could be just that... are you feeding them via bottle or bucket? Some of the little buggers inhale milk into their lungs and will tend to cough more than the rest.

piedmontese":no5w54i4 said:
well i only treated them today at 2p.m. so how long until i should see improvement?
24 hours ~ today at 2:00. This does not necessarily mean they are 100%, but you should see definate improvement.
Check their temp ~ no fever, no drugs.

backhoeboogie":31lodtrt said:
Banamine is a seperate drug
i know that banamine is a seperate drug.resflor is nuflor and banamine together in 1 bottle.the dosage is the same as nuflor.

angie":324yitep said:
piedmontese":324yitep said:
24 hours ~ today at 2:00. This does not necessarily mean they are 100%, but you should see definate improvement.
Check their temp ~ no fever, no drugs.
noticed an improvement this morning.definately less coughing nad more active.

DavisBeefmasters":2q7wq8jv said:
alisonb":2q7wq8jv said:
The coughing may very well not be pneumonia but due to milk on the lungs?

Could be just that... are you feeding them via bottle or bucket? Some of the little buggers inhale milk into their lungs and will tend to cough more than the rest.
this group of calves are all bottle fed.we normally do bucket them but these were all beef calves that had been pulled off old cows at about 3 weeks old and we thought it would be easier to just let them keep sucking.the adapted after the first couple of feedings.

piedmontese":s6o47w13 said:
backhoeboogie":s6o47w13 said:
Banamine is a seperate drug
i know that banamine is a seperate drug.resflor is nuflor and banamine together in 1 bottle.the dosage is the same as nuflor.

Didn't know what resflor was. Never heard of it. Mine don't get banamine unless they have a fever.