Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Anything that would entice her. Do you have some mineral that smells really good, or anything that smells good would work. Do remember to give her mineral. It will help in many ways.

Anything that would entice her. Do you have some mineral that smells really good, or anything that smells good would work. Do remember to give her mineral. It will help in many ways.
I've thought about buying another bag of calfmana. That stuff is crazy high tho!
It's packed with minerals and all kinda good stuff. Ups the protein value as well.

Never heard of a calf starter feed that was not a "textured feed" ... grains and pellets and well coated with molasses... it smells good enough for a person to want to taste it.... I'm with @kenny thomas on that, the feed looks dry and not very appetizing to a little calf. If you can get her to eating the sweet on top, just mix it in to help keep the protein up...and when she cleans up a couple cups full at the feeding, then I'd go back and offer a little real good hay...since her system and gut tract bugs are already geared to digesting the hay.. it will keep the bulk up in her system so she continues to do manure regularly... any grass she can get will keep her a little looser.. good also to pass the manure through her system. The last thing you want is her manure to be hard lumps....

I've thought about buying another bag of calfmana. That stuff is crazy high tho!
It's packed with minerals and all kinda good stuff. Ups the protein value as well.
You might be putting an expensive paint job on a worthless car. Just sayin'...

And I've used bagged 16% dairy feed a lot. It's sweetened with molasses and just because it says dairy it doesn't mean you can't use it on beef cattle.

A bag or two of calf manna would be a good thing.
You wouldn't have to keep her on it for a long period.
We raised an orphan calf on calf mana because she absolutely would not drink a bottle. That fall you couldn't tell her from the rest of the calves.

Good grief! Finally!!!
I felt so bad withholding hay from her. She finally decided she was gonna eat.
I gave in last night and gave her,literally, a HANDFUL of the alfalfa. She gobbled it down and left all the feed.
Now that I know she will eat, not more hay for a bit.
20230328_174215.jpg

Latest posts