Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Very interesting!
I'll see what happens tmrw night. Sure will take that advice into consideration.

Yall may be right. I may have screwed up. #$&@ internet bidding anyway. 🤣
Ah well. Everyone screws up occassionally.

Edited to add.
Remember I had that dumb lil bull? Dumbo. Weighed 100 or so. Could never get him to take milk either. He didn't bring much. But I think I about broke even on him anyway. I don't think ya could've killed him with a hammer!!

Edited again..
Random thoughts.
Don't think I've ever seen a 2 month old 50lb calf. First time for everything!

This calf was cheap enough. Remember I said I gotta get my average cost per head down.... this is one way to do it.
Sometimes it's better to just have more in em per head!! 😄
A calf can live for two months and not gain a pound. She's Dumbo 2.0. Dumbette, if you will.

Another thing... if the calf is completely off milk, trying to get it to take milk again will screw up her digestive tract. Once the abomasum (milk stomach so to speak) starts to shrink as the calf eats solid food, it no longer produces all the enzymes that cause the milk to be digested... you can cause more problems by trying to force the calf to take milk at that point.
BTDT.... and as I said, the pictures show me a calf that is stunted and is way past the milk stage...

Damn, somebody really stole half that dog's legs. Can't have nothing these days.
Shes my new buddy!
Corgi-dor
We had her a while back and couldn't get her house broken. Gave her away. Those folks decided a dog requires too much of their time.
So shes back!!
I needed an outside Mutt anyway. She went with me to build a new H-brace today. Wasn't much help, but she's real cool come break time. Wife is actively seeking a new home for her. I'll have a word with wife tonight. This dog is mine now.
20230325_143359.jpg20230325_115442.jpg20230325_153216.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't either... get her good and full of hay and give her a week at least... if she has a huge bunch of worms and they die off too quick could cause toxic reaction... happens in sheep often... so you want their gut tract working good so they will pass out the manure fairly quickly in the digested hay and grain.... and had one pass so many worms that it was like getting a blockage and I nearly lost the calf... about 2-3 months old... wouldn't grow... worms were sucking the life out of it and calves normally don't get worms that young.... given to me years ago when someone wanted a calf and got tired of it and then didn't half take care of it... managed to get it turned around so it did grow some... not very great... but it didn't die...

@kenny thomas
@farmerjan

I had not even thought about worming her yet. My biggest priority right now is figuring out what she's gonna eat. She did not clean up her feed from this morning. Been nibbling on really crappy hay. The leftovers from crabgrass cut off of a wheat field. I think tomorrow I'm gonna move some animals around and clean out her little area.

What are your thoughts Kenny?

She might not have much capacity to eat either... looking like she is stunted and her whole digestive system might just not be able to handle much feed/hay at a time...
She needs calf starter grain. With as little capacity as she has, she needs really high protein and energy.

@kenny thomas
@farmerjan

I had not even thought about worming her yet. My biggest priority right now is figuring out what she's gonna eat. She did not clean up her feed from this morning. Been nibbling on really crappy hay. The leftovers from crabgrass cut off of a wheat field. I think tomorrow I'm gonna move some animals around and clean out her little area.

What are your thoughts Kenny?
I worm everything I buy as soon as it gets to the barn. Jan may be correct but if I had bought one like that today it would have been wormed by tonight.
I'm feeding calves not worms.

She might not have much capacity to eat either... looking like she is stunted and her whole digestive system might just not be able to handle much feed/hay at a time...
High protein for her then. Creep feed ain't gonna cut it I don't reckon. I bought a bag of 16% starter to see how that goes. She sure didn't eat much today.

O! Hey @Buck Randall u were posting as I was typing. Thanks!

Latest posts