Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

We took her half brother and half sister to the sale today. She really didn't know them being bottle fed. I'm curious to see what they weigh tmrw.
Shes a little behind them in size and weight.

Aha...you did give the nod
Here we gogo!!
The hereford bull weighs 105lbs
Lil Fart heifer is 50lbs
20230323_193042.jpg20230323_193311.jpg
Bessie just HAS to check em out!
20230323_193432.jpg20230323_193456.jpg
I think she rivals Lil 'Nuf for size.
20230323_194823.jpg
5 gallon bucket for reference...
20230323_194921.jpg
Gotta lower my average price per head somehow. They seem healthy. We will make em grow!

May be a silly question but are you planning to keep the little black heifer as a replacement? And if you are, do you worry she's a free martin? We mark our tags "twin" or make sure the free martins go to auction saying "twin" but I'm sure that is not always the case with producers. Just curious…

May be a silly question but are you planning to keep the little black heifer as a replacement? And if you are, do you worry she's a free martin? We mark our tags "twin" or make sure the free martins go to auction saying "twin" but I'm sure that is not always the case with producers. Just curious…
No. She will be sold when she's about 250 lbs.

From the looks of it, her mama was making like zero milk. She is already eating feed and hay. I'll get her straight tho!

Shes a cute lil snot for sure!!
Can't get her to latch on this morning. But the feed is all gone.... 😆
Shes a good lil eater. She stays in the trailer today and I'll try her again tonight. Good healthy poops.
20230324_071304.jpg

The hereford however....
20230324_065022.jpg
They almost match!

Last edited:
So funny story. The hereford was supposed to be a heifer. Ticket says bull. I felt a bit under there last night on the trailer while moving and thought it was a bull.
Well I worked em all tonight. SHE has no testicles. She may end up at a friend's place. He loves the herefords.
Dang hair was laid flat just right to cover her lala! 🤣

Anyway....

So this is interesting.
I cannot get that lil heifer to take a bottle for nothing!
She eats feed. Eats hay. Eats green grass.
I just can't see a 50lb heifer surviving on that!
But. At the same time she isn't even acting hungry. So there's that. I think she's got a belly full of feed and hay.

I've cut her feed and hay off.

Tomorrow night we will see If she changes her mind about that bottle....

So this is interesting.
I cannot get that lil heifer to take a bottle for nothing!
She eats feed. Eats hay. Eats green grass.
I just can't see a 50lb heifer surviving on that!
But. At the same time she isn't even acting hungry. So there's that. I think she's got a belly full of feed and hay.

I've cut her feed and hay off.

Tomorrow night we will see If she changes her mind about that bottle....
When you posted the picture my first thought was that the heifer will not take a bottle. I bet it's 2 months old or older. If it eats that's all you can do. If your determined that it gets milk mix the powder in her feed. Use a feed with molasses.

When you posted the picture my first thought was that the heifer will not take a bottle. I bet it's 2 months old or older. If it eats that's all you can do. If your determined that it gets milk mix the powder in her feed. Use a feed with molasses.
Very interesting!
I'll see what happens tmrw night. Sure will take that advice into consideration.

Yall may be right. I may have screwed up. #$&@ internet bidding anyway. 🤣
Ah well. Everyone screws up occassionally.

Edited to add.
Remember I had that dumb lil bull? Dumbo. Weighed 100 or so. Could never get him to take milk either. He didn't bring much. But I think I about broke even on him anyway. I don't think ya could've killed him with a hammer!!

Edited again..
Random thoughts.
Don't think I've ever seen a 2 month old 50lb calf. First time for everything!

This calf was cheap enough. Remember I said I gotta get my average cost per head down.... this is one way to do it.
Sometimes it's better to just have more in em per head!! 😄

Last edited:

Latest posts