Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

I did not.
Shes a feisty one and rather large.
Drank another 5 gallon overnight.
She will have the pen cleaned up by this evening and I'll see how she like my lil square bales I made last month. Gotta get her settled down a bit.
At least settled enough she dont wanna go thru fences and follows me and my feed bucket.

Shes a fairly large framed calf. I got no info on her. But she hasn't made a peep. Wondering how long shes been without mama.

So Seven came up this morning.

Well, I should say, she was wandering the pasture looking for something I thought. Almost like a cow looking for her calf. I've never heard her so vocal and frantic. Past few days shes been leaking a little and appears to be springing, but no bag yet. I had to go investigate!

Get up to the other cows, Seven hollaring the whole way, and she RUNS straight up to a lil rwf calf. But it ain't hers!! Its 28's.
28 politely made sure to tell her about it too.

So I've got a new calf. Ok.
Seven just wanders off and starts grazing like nothing ever happened. Weird huh?

So I've made several trips back and forth around the pasture now. (Had to get tagging stuff) no signs of a stray newborn.

I'm keeping a close watch on Seven. She is a twin after all. I'm almost wondering if she was carrying twins and has aborted one. Tho she hasn't gotten extremely large, like shes plumb full of calves. She still isnt. Like u said, leaking but no bag yet. Clear discharge, no blood.
MAYBE starting to form an udder.

Either that or she just knew I needed to tag that calf. Idk....

Well, she's adorable. And you took the damn sticker off for the pic - thank you!;)
Not again.....
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
They're super cheap when no one else bids...
Might be a lil rodeo later getting that sticker off and a bottle in her. Shes a lil firecracker! Pulled off her (blown out udder, no tooth) mama just a while ago.
20210911_150114.jpg

Not again.....
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
They're super cheap when no one else bids...
Might be a lil rodeo later getting that sticker off and a bottle in her. Shes a lil firecracker! Pulled off her (blown out udder, no tooth) mama just a while ago.
View attachment 8213
Another excellent Murray deal! Looks like she has a top hat. Have one like that myself; Betty Lou and Drew Lou
0829212016_HDR.jpg

Another excellent Murray deal! Looks like she has a top hat. Have one like that myself; Betty Lou and Drew Lou
View attachment 8217
That's a kool looking cow! Two tone!

This ones mama was over 1400 lbs
BIG smooth cow. Udder just wasnt making much for whatever reason. She brought way too much. Went to slaughter.

Passed on an old cow, 6 months bred. She really looked good for an old cow. She brought less than 550. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... haha!
Not a very flattering picture but this one shows her orangutan hair-do.
20210911_153401.jpg

If I was there the old cow would have come home. Been going by the stock yard on Fridays more regular... to maybe pick up a few like the one you passed on. I don't see cull/pound cows coming down much in the next couple years with the ones that are being liquidated from drought areas....other than the normal cycling.... people are going to be eating hamburger when inflation starts getting the their wallets.... and some older farmers selling out. So an old "one and done" works good for me. And like the one I picked up a couple weeks ago... young cow with a 2+ week old calf by its side... she weighed barely 800 lbs...paid $800 for the pair..... turned out with the calf after some shots and tagging... won't put a bull in there until Nov so she will have some time to hopefully put a little weight on and grow a bit with only a calf on her and not one growing inside too. Might wean her current calf off early too... If she breeds back great, if not, she ought to gain some and can be turned over.
Hope you can get the calf on a bottle without too much fight. Maybe if the cow's udder wasn't too good, it will take to a bottle easier once it realizes there is actually good milk in it...
No cheap calves around here hardly.

If I was there the old cow would have come home. Been going by the stock yard on Fridays more regular... to maybe pick up a few like the one you passed on. I don't see cull/pound cows coming down much in the next couple years with the ones that are being liquidated from drought areas....other than the normal cycling.... people are going to be eating hamburger when inflation starts getting the their wallets.... and some older farmers selling out. So an old "one and done" works good for me. And like the one I picked up a couple weeks ago... young cow with a 2+ week old calf by its side... she weighed barely 800 lbs...paid $800 for the pair..... turned out with the calf after some shots and tagging... won't put a bull in there until Nov so she will have some time to hopefully put a little weight on and grow a bit with only a calf on her and not one growing inside too. Might wean her current calf off early too... If she breeds back great, if not, she ought to gain some and can be turned over.
Hope you can get the calf on a bottle without too much fight. Maybe if the cow's udder wasn't too good, it will take to a bottle easier once it realizes there is actually good milk in it...
No cheap calves around here hardly.
I sure wanted to buy her. Couple things held me back. I just bought 2 pair like u described and I'm pretty stocked up. Idk. I guess I could've handled maybe 1 more...
But I feed 20% cubes thru winter. Might be hard on her with no teeth. I watched the vet check the first 2 old open cows and walked off. Should've stuck around and asked if she actually had any teeth at all.
They call all cows old at this place even if they are short and solid.
This vet is new here. Old vet passed a couple months back.

New vet was actually sending them thru with ss/6 or 9/5. He even went as far as calling cows teens/whatever months bred. Ifs they had teeth he made it known.
Only toothless cows he called old.

Barn owner made him change that. He likes them to say old, rather than short/solid or broke mouth or smooth mouthed. I think that's a mistake and they are leaving money on the table.
But it's his place....

O! This cow was 1200lbs btw
Now that I've said all that, I'm kicking my own arse.... 😂

We are fortunate in they are calling them broken mouth, short, solid, or just old... on the ones that really look old. I will stay away from ones that look really old going into the winter. We do feed some corn silage so the "old cows" get that and it really does help more than cubes. When we feed any grain, it isn't cubes but actual pellets or a sweet feed. So a broken mouth cow can do a little better. And I will take one with a calf anyday unless the udder is totally useless...But any cow under 600 I will take a chance on unless she looks like she will lay down permanently .... or she is nuts. You can't give me a nut case.
By calling them old the barn owner is leaving money on the table .... not selling for what they might be worth...so the seller is not getting the best price he could.... but owner might be benefitting on them by someone else buying them cheap and he is in partners/or some other type of deal???
I want to know if they are ss or sm or bm or whatever....

I don't have to worry as much about being at the max # here, since we are keeping and feeding calves a little longer, but have cut the cow herd a bit. With the silage, things are more flexible. Hay is shorter supply this year, but we may be selling more calves off earlier if the prices stay up too.

Bless her heart, @MurraysMutts, she is butt ugly! But I have no doubt you'll get her fattened up and looking good in no time (minus the sticker!!). You definitely have a knack! Good luck with the bottle. Or bucket. Preferably without a rodeo & subsequent injury (to you).
She certainly is ugly as a turnip! Lmao!

Gonna let her simmer til morning I THINK.
Just a bit of water. Want her HUN-GReee! Maybe that will persuade her drink a bottle.

My gawd!
Took like an hour to get the bottle in her. I think mama been without milk for a while I guess. 🤷‍♂️
Poor kid was SCARED to death too!
But boy, once that light bulb came on she was really going. Took the whole bottle. Got the sticker off. Finished her bottle. Then went right back to being crazy scared. Idk where she thought she was going, but she tried jumping thru the trailer wall.
May take a few bottles to get her settled. I much prefer tiny-er baby calves that ain't so scared. This one is 100lbs by the sale barn scale.
Gonna name her Tangie. Tangie the orangutan heifer. Her orangutan hair and monkey like behavior sealed the deal....

She looks much better with a tummy full!
And omg, this is the first one I've heard the stomach filling. It was like a clogged drain, Glug. Glug. Glug. Echoing off the trailer walls.

20210912_091507.jpg
I've definitely had uglier calves!

Latest posts