Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Speaking of Limos.. how much limo do you think this one has?
20210421_103147.jpg

With this one here, she was pretty skittish (she's 1/4 Limo), and finally I found the key to her heart.. She loves sucking on my thumb.. She isn't quite the build I want so she probably won't make the replacement heifer pen, but she should make someone a pretty trouble-free cow otherwise.. I have someone that wants a bunch of heifers and steers, maybe I can fill part of that order
20210413_112149.jpg

Here's my miss June bottle baby. Just over 4 months old and just weaned. They have 24/7 green grass. Makes for messy rear ends but some happy calves! The best part is my brother lives next-door and for fun I lead her over to say hi on his outdoor patio.

Attachments

• 89AF1B8A-AF5D-4A8C-B233-8155ACFF64B6.jpeg
    89AF1B8A-AF5D-4A8C-B233-8155ACFF64B6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • E8790FF1-F4DB-4E4F-9AD0-151FCE4B232F.jpeg
    E8790FF1-F4DB-4E4F-9AD0-151FCE4B232F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Lil grass pickers!
Been re-doing fence past several days on my south acre or so. Couple new H-braces. Tight tight fence. The new baby calf pasture!
No more pen for these lil fookers. I know they are happy to roam a bit and have some spring grass. 😊😊😊😊

Best lil electric fence testers u can buy too! Not only do they give u a visual indication that the fence is working, but usually an audible indicator too. 🤣😂🤣😂

20210501_095644.jpg20210501_092218.jpg

I got lil Midnight fed this evening and Bessie was still eating her dinner....
Have a lil tug on ol Bessie, kid!
😂🤣😂🤣
View attachment 3998
And dad gum those ribs of hers drive me nuts!! Ain't from lack of something to eat, I promise u that!
You will never "get rid of those ribs"; just a good sign that she has a good dairy background. Stupid last person letting her get like she was is a definite plus for you.

You will never "get rid of those ribs"; just a good sign that she has a good dairy background. Stupid last person letting her get like she was is a definite plus for you.
She sure is doing a great job!
I cant believe how long it's been since putting them all together. I've been looking at past pictures and comparing her with the herd. She has dang sure come right along!
I keep thinking she just dont have enough milk for the 3 but they just keep right on a growing and being happy bouncy calves. Picking grass with the best of em too.

She looks great! Bred? Clearly, I'm not the best judge. Had 2 this year I was pretty sure were open. One surprised me with a 38 lb. (full term) calf and had the other one preg checked yesterday. Yup, there's a calf in her. Have her due on the 29th so we'll see . . . .

Here's the other 3.
Lil Annie somehow gave Midnight her ringworm. 🙄
Annie just ain't growing that great. Shes got a few months on these other 2.
I think Sunshine is taller, even tho shes much younger. And Midnight is catching up fast.
20210527_175546.jpg
We are still playing with halters. They got Stop figured out when ya tug. Getting them to lead will take a lil time. May need to borrow a donkey.... lol
Nah! We will get there.

Twin went on Bessie.
Annie is lil orphan. My tan heifer that prolapsed and didn't make it. I'm the only mother she knows.... lol
Midnight I bought for a neighbor that changed their mind after I bought her.
Well.... may as well buy another now, so I bought Sunshine. The yellow white face. She really doesnt need milk. But I've been feeding her with Midnight.

Sunshine and Annie went off to their new homes/owners Sunday.
So now I'm down to Midnight.
With the 3 mamas that dont seem to mind 2 calves nursing randomly, I'm considering turning her out with the herd. Shes down to one bottle a day for a couple weeks now. Eats grass good. And grain daily.

Something to ponder for a day or 3...

Edit to add
Idk what I'm thinking. It's time to track down another one so Midnight has a new friend!!
Hahahahahaha!!!! Its a sickness. 🤠

I found lil Midnight a friend. Think shes too big for a bottle. 215 lbs. Bought cheap!
Heck 80 lb black bottle calf sold for 300 today. Not to me!! This lil gal was a tick more but no milk. Sorry guys, she would fit in the truck with me....
20210719_141150.jpg