Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Straight chars grow too much height and are not favored at the feedlots/finishing lots. They hang too "long" (length) for the normal conveyor chains I have been told by a couple of buyers. They take longer to put a finish on... somewhat like some of the simmentals I have been told. More frame before meat and finish. Same as Brown Swiss in the dairy world... Frame before finish. Yet there are some places that they obviously do good at.
And then you get into the "black angus" marketing.... I can tell you that there are plenty of those smokeys that go through as black angus beef.....they are "half" black "angus"... well, half "black something"....

Look at the QUALITY Charolais that @Dubcharo has in Canada... those are some really NICE animals... and he seems to have a good market for them.
And one other thing, chars have a bad reputation for being high strung/crazy/mean many places... Which of course we all know, there are lots of high strung/crazy/mean animals in any breed... and from the ones I have been around, they are no worse than any other breed.... it depends on the strain, and HOW they are Handled......I have some real iffy thoughts on Limi's being high strung and meaner than a snake .... but that is from one herd I helped at... some of the momma's will kill you on that farm if you want to tag the new babies....and they are very "athletic" when it comes to fences and not staying where you put them. But I know that they aren't all like that.
I have mixed feelings about Limos as well, what I found is they are spooky even when tame... if you do so much as scold them for misbehaving they're terrified of you for a week.. When I went to select my limo bull, a couple of them snotted at me, and one came to the fence and licked my hand, that's the one that came home with me..
I have 2 daughters left from him, most didn't work out well for one reason or another... both remaining cows are decent cows, one isn't my ideal body type, little too much leg and not enough chest, but she is trouble free.. finally at 5 years old she's warmed up to me and actually comes for scratches.. Daughter is a month old, just discovered she was missing out on scratches and seems to be over the hump as far as becoming friendly
Both cows are docile until you have to work them, but lose their cool really easily if you have to convince them of something that's not their idea, which is what I found with all the limos I had... kinda scatterbrained things

This gal is huge! And full of pizz and vinegar!
Kicking and ramming me with her head. Wow!
Finally got that bottle in her mouth tho.
Now she 😍😍😍😍😍 me...
Whew! What a fight!
20210408_195128.jpg
That's the I'm gonna smash you look!!
20210408_194823.jpg
We will see what happens in the a.m.
Left her a cup of feed and some water. Shes living in the trailer til she settles a bit!!!
My goodness. I couldnt keep her backed in the corner. 😂🤣😂🤣

Kinda braford lookin huh?

She had normal poop last night. But they sorted her off an old crummy cow and she was at the barn most of the day waiting to sell.
I would think she has some in her. That would be my guess. What did her mama look like?

I would think she has some in her. That would be my guess. What did her mama look like?
Unfortunately I dont know. She was split b4 the sale.
Shes settling in tho. Ate a spot of feed today. Almost time for a bottle. I've got some alfalfa hay again too. May toss a bit in there.
Hopefully she settles enough I can get her in the calf pen this weekend.

Straight chars grow too much height and are not favored at the feedlots/finishing lots. They hang too "long" (length) for the normal conveyor chains I have been told by a couple of buyers. They take longer to put a finish on... somewhat like some of the simmentals I have been told. More frame before meat and finish. Same as Brown Swiss in the dairy world... Frame before finish. Yet there are some places that they obviously do good at.
And then you get into the "black angus" marketing.... I can tell you that there are plenty of those smokeys that go through as black angus beef.....they are "half" black "angus"... well, half "black something"....

Look at the QUALITY Charolais that @Dubcharo has in Canada... those are some really NICE animals... and he seems to have a good market for them.
And one other thing, chars have a bad reputation for being high strung/crazy/mean many places... Which of course we all know, there are lots of high strung/crazy/mean animals in any breed... and from the ones I have been around, they are no worse than any other breed.... it depends on the strain, and HOW they are Handled......I have some real iffy thoughts on Limi's being high strung and meaner than a snake .... but that is from one herd I helped at... some of the momma's will kill you on that farm if you want to tag the new babies....and they are very "athletic" when it comes to fences and not staying where you put them. But I know that they aren't all like that.
I used to have registered Charolais around 25 years ago. Like you said those straightbred white with pink nose Chars get docked pretty heavy, but the mouse colored crossbreds as we used to call what they call smokes now have always sold pretty good. The breed had a reputation for being crazy years ago. I did have a few that were bad, and could be dangerous, they were mainly from cull situations that I made the inexperienced mistakes of purchasing. Most of the Charolais cattle were very calm and in truth most were tamer than any Herefords that we have now. The Charolais bulls that I had were way calmer than the Angus bulls we have had in recent years.
I have only had one Limousin bull, and he was extremely calm, as were his calves. Have had a few purchased Limousin stocker calves, some were crazy wild at first but they calmed down to a manageable level fairly well. Some of those calves were pretty calm all along and I actually wish I had kept a few to see what they would have done as cows.

Sunshine is doing great!
The meds seemed to have kicked whatever was wrong. And kicked it hard!
20210421_182448.jpg
After her college fraternity drinking/beer can smash imitation, she went straight to the alfalfa. Gonna have to fix that vent I guess...
20210421_183230.jpg
And here's Midnight. The one I took back from Bertha. Still wondering if it was a mistake. But o well I guess. Shes such a sweetheart. 😍😍😍
20210421_181757.jpg

Sunshine is doing great!
The meds seemed to have kicked whatever was wrong. And kicked it hard!
View attachment 3968
After her college fraternity drinking/beer can smash imitation, she went straight to the alfalfa. Gonna have to fix that vent I guess...
View attachment 3969
And here's Midnight. The one I took back from Bertha. Still wondering if it was a mistake. But o well I guess. Shes such a sweetheart. 😍😍😍
View attachment 3970
Why? Is Bertha ok?

Why? Is Bertha ok?
O yeah. She was just mean as heck to this one. She raises a good calf of her own. She let this one nurse, but at the same time was constantly shoving her with her head. This lil black heifer was bleeding when she pooped. I've got her on milk with a coccidiostat now. Dont know if it's that, or all the violent shoving.

Bessie is still raising her three!

Latest posts