Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Too bad you aren't closer to here. I could get you all the "pretty colored" calves like that for $50..... alot are red & white holsteins, some jer/hol crosses, some with lineback or other breeding. I used to raise alot. Once I get these knees fixed, the ankle is doing great so know that the knees will do well too..... I will be getting more to go on the nurse cows. My son and I don't see eye to eye on them, but they will make darn good beef down the road.... and if the cows raise 3 or 4 each, we are doing good. The nurse cows will be on a dairy for the year due to my knee issues and not being able to manage this winter.... but next year should have 4-8 nurse cows, if all goes as planned.... OOPS shouldn't say that... it never does....

$250... I just sold a calf that looked just like the one in your pictures, for$100🤔. I went to th sale barn a few weeks ago and bottle beef calves were $285 to $325..

Prices are in the tank right now. We never sell during hunting season as the prices are always lower here. But cull cows have dropped and the talk is that they are culling cows severely due to the drought conditions in TX, AZ, OK and surrounding areas. No grass regrowth and hay is hard to find, from no rain in the summer for hay making. So, that is hurting and the plants are not able to keep up. Steers dropped 20-40 cents here in the last 2-3 weeks. We are holding now until probably after the first of the year. Heifers seem to be holding steady but they are in the 1.10 -1.30 for 4-5 wts.

The new project...
20201104_180111.jpg

2 decent pairs today
710 dollars
925 dollars
And a big bodied horned 2x3 530 dollars

Edited to add...
Got his first bottle in him. 2/3 of a bottle. I know better than to start full throttle. Lol
Hes 70 pounds.
After a small wrestlemania event he decided he probly betta go head and eat. Gobbled most of it down then stopped. Had to back him in a corner again and he finished up. He made his first lil moo and now hes laying again for the night.
Seems bright eyed and bushy tailed. A feisty one he is! Good thing he dont weigh much.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a nurse cow for a while. Ain't found anything I like. Not really sure I wanna fool with one. I enjoy a nice winter project calf tho.

Don't think I would enjoy dairy calves. They just dont bring no money even after they are grown. Watched a bunch big fat dairy cross steers bring 50 cents a pound today.

I've been looking for a nurse cow for a while. Ain't found anything I like. Not really sure I wanna fool with one. I enjoy a nice winter project calf tho.

Don't think I would enjoy dairy calves. They just dont bring no money even after they are grown. Watched a bunch big fat dairy cross steers bring 50 cents a pound today.
I believe it. They bring a lot more than that here, but that's because people are used to dealing with them and you can put large groups together easily.

This lil guy is soooo timid or leery of me. So funny. I have to chase him down to give him a bottle. But once hes latched on, he drains it. Then cautiously backs all the way to the other side of the lil 8x16 pen I threw together. No udder bumping. No running around me looking for a teat. Haha, maybe hes still adjusting.
Lol. Cracking me up!
20201107_072614.jpg
Oh yeah, I bought a bag of calf manna this time. That stuff smells wonderful!
Hes had his nose in it a time or two but it's not disappearing.
Gonna be hard to make money on this lil guy, unless i keep him to breed heifers.
He still has a lil dry umbilical and weighed 70 pounds when he came home. Undecided..

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for him? He's a nice looking calf!
I gave 230 for him. Hes in really good shape. Gave a lil more than I was wanting to but I like him!

Got another one today.
Project bull calf. Missing his tail switch.
Mama was a poor Milker and hes been filling up on grass. We will get him lined out tho.
Took right to a bottle.
100 for him
Screenshot_20201107-185136_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts