Bottle calf recovering from illness

Help Support CattleToday:

Ann from KY

Reaction score
Hi All,
My son brought me two sick calves he bought at the auction a week ago. Long story I will skip. Anyhow, they had bad snotty noses and a cough. My son got shots from the vet for them. One died the same day he brought it. It was about 10 months old. The other I think might be a Brown Swiss steer calf. My son had them at his place for about 2 weeks but we had crazy weather-hot, cold, rainy, etc. He had banded the brown swiss calf while at his place and gave him a shot of tetanus toxiod too. (not the vaccine)
The brown swiss calf I guessed to be a bottle calf. He was really sick last week. Didn't eat or drink--not even grain. I figured I needed to get fluids in him so I figured my choices were tube him or try to get him to take a bottle. I picked bottle since I guessed my tubing skills to be at about 70% accurate! Got him to drink about a pint. Gave him the shot from the vet. Different calf in the morning. He drank a full 2 quart bottle of fresh goat's milk with some probois powder in it. So for the past week, I have been giving him a bottle of fresh goat's milk in the morning and in the evening since he is thin and been sick. He had 2 shots from the vet. I don't know what the shots were.
He seems to be much better and now eats grain and LOVES the bottle. I want to get him to eat hay and drink water. Not sure how old he is, but I am going to guess him at about 3 months. I did not give him the morning bottle today, trying to get him to eat hay and drink water. Didn't look to me like he touched it. He did eat the grain. Gave him the evening bottle which he loved.
My question is how do I get him to eat hay and drink water? I have plenty of goat milk, but how long should I give him a bottle? He is kinda thin so I was looking the goat milk as cheap calories on my end. Any other thoughts? He is by his self in the barn. I didn't want to get my other cows sick so I am afraid to put him with my herd. Any ideas??

Ann, I don't know the answer. But there are several who do. My response will get your thread bak up to the top and maybe a response. It was very hot her yesterday but suppose to cool off. Welcome! Hope your calf does well. Folks around this part of KY like to raise Brown Swiss for family meat.

I have never raised a brown swiss before, but I will say he is a big boned calf! I can see why he would be a freezer favorite!

Some very good info here:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49811

The short of it:
Don't take the bottle away, he needs that nutrition, especially if he's been sick.
Don't start weaning until he's eating 2-3% of his body weight of a good quality starter ration.
He'll start on hay when he's ready. He's not able to get the nutrition he needs from it at this point anyway, so it's just wasted.

Oh, and :welcome:

Latest posts