bottle calf-below freezing temps

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
Got a call to take a 40 day old calf that is skinny, owner thinks not getting enough milk.appears healthy otherwise, seen it suck,had shots.Temps going to 5 here sleet/snow.i've had bottle calf before, but never in these temps.I have stall & heat lamp-Suggestions please! Yes, I know I'm crazy, but couldn't let this calf suffer.
UPDATE: On way to get calf, owner called & changed his mind.thinks calf has something wrong with it & doesn't want me to take it... So, headed back home, mixed feelings.

reeler":24e132ep said:
Got a call to take a 40 day old calf that is skinny, owner thinks not getting enough milk.appears healthy otherwise, seen it suck,had shots.Temps going to 5 here sleet/snow.i've had bottle calf before, but never in these temps.I have stall & heat lamp-Suggestions please! Yes, I know I'm crazy, but couldn't let this calf suffer.

That's what I use heat lamps and a lot of hay for them to lay in but I never raised one by themself always had 2 together.

skyhightree1":3571od3g said:
reeler":3571od3g said:

That's what I use heat lamps and a lot of hay for them to lay in but I never raised one by themself always had 2 together.
Thanks for your response. I had to edit my post because owner changed his mind & doesn't want me to take it.Reassessed, & thinks something's wrong with calf. My bottle calf (8 plus years ago) is my pride & joy. Never know what's around the corner.

skyhightree1":1cjbzt9t said:
reeler":1cjbzt9t said:

Heat lamp and deep bedding

we used to put our day old dairy calves in 4x8 hutches in any weather, front always open. never had a problem or sickness as they were all seperated

dun":125fchz9 said:
skyhightree1":125fchz9 said:
reeler":125fchz9 said:

Heat lamp and deep bedding
Thank you.The owner changed his mind & didn't give me the calf-thinks something more serious is wrong. The arctic weather's gonna be hard on all the cows/ calves, so I put deep bedding in loading barn.

jerry27150":1xu2qgzx said:
we used to put our day old dairy calves in 4x8 hutches in any weather, front always open. never had a problem or sickness as they were all seperated
Thanks. I didn't end up getting the calf after all, but appreciate your response. Sounds like you've had a lot of experience with calves, & an excellent track record.

jerry27150":3oq8q8nd said:
+1
Even on the coldest Minnesota nights, dry bedding and their own body heat in a open faced hutch and they turn out great.

''They can handle cold, wind, and rain fine, just not all in the same day.''
Clean deep bedding and good ventilation without creating a breeze seems to be the key from what I have found.