bottle baby deer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Take it to someone that is in the practice of rescuing/rehabilitating fawns.

I thought it was illegal to raise a deer? -- I agree, take it to a wildlife biologist or someone that is trained to take care of orphan fawns, MM is right, but even if it was a doe still be EXTRA careful - those hooves are VERY SHARP - I have heard that some "pet deer" will turn on their owners and they can/will do some real damage....

My daughters 4H leader is raising one now that is about 6 mths old it is a doe and was in her barn and her horses were pawing at it and probaly would have killed it if she had not have went to see what the problem was. It was only a few days old at the time. She raise Nubian dairy goats, as do we and she has been feeding her goat milk per the vet with no problems.

I raised fawns for DNR rehab for years. Give this baby goat milk or goat milk replacer. Is it injured? They are very fragile. Use a goat milk. How old is it?? Very young fawns WILL NOT go to the bathroom unless you take a paper towel (is what I used) and rub it on their bottom. It simulates the doe licking. Don't give it cow milk. I raised as many buck fawns as doe fawns. I did not raise them to be pets and never had a problem with them. I did not socialize them with other animals outside of other fawns (baby goats for example), nor did I show them to a lot of people. You can pen it, but don't attempt to chain it out. They learn very fast to come when they are called for their bottle. I never grained them. One year I raised 8, but mostly 3. I never lost one that came to me healthy. Because of chronic wasting disease, the deer rehab program has been scratched in Mn and they are killed or left. Feed as much as you would a baby goat the same size. When I first had them and they were very young, I fed them 3 times a day, as much as 8 hours apart as I could. A doe only feeds the very young twice a day. After that they go with her and they snack ~ but that it neither pratical nor necessary for you though. You do not need an artificial heat source.

That is all I can think of for now.

Keren, I don't have anything to offer as I have no experience with deer , but I do know that Angie does and has offered good advice and with all your experience saving rescues you will do great with your new little one....

Now pics please...when you get a chance fawns are SO cute.

Good luck and I hope your new little one does well.