Bottle baby deer going bald?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
So my little guy, Coco, is about 8 wks old, he is a fallow deer. And has been going really really well. I got him when he was about an hour old. So far he has done great, I've been raising him on goats milk, no scours or anything. Well I've just noticed the last week or so, he is starting to go bald on his head. It started with a tiny little spot, and considering he is always going through the fences, I thought maybe he had just scraped his head on the barb wire or something similar. But, its been spreading now, into a pretty big patch. Dad reckons its the x marks the spot, because its in the middle of his forehead, marking the spot between the ears and the eyes where you would shoot him ... LOL the skin looks good, its not itchy or sore ...

What could it be? I've recently had a sarcoptic mange problem in the camels and the alpacas, and although I havent seen him mix with those animals all that much, he really does have the run of the place, going wherever he pleases. So I guess its possible he might have picked it up from them. But it looks different. But then again the mange on the camel looked completely different to mange on the alpaca ...

Anyway I'm just rambling here.

Any thoughts as to what it is and how to treat it?

If it is mange you can most likely use a puppy shampoo from your vet meant for mange and that should cure it. The little thing could just have a skin condition that could get better, I assume you have ruled out fever wit no scouring and appearing and acting healthy other wise.

My guess would be mange but I have never seen it in deer ,sorry ,but good luck with him. BTW tell your dad he is wrong.. ;-)

Maybe Angie will chime in as I know she has raised rescues before .

hillsdown":2pey5ojw said:
From what I have been taught and observed mange is rare, though possible, in deer. Usually it is paired with a compromised immune system ~ not as a result of the mange, but in addition to. Does your fawn have any other symptoms? His hair otherwise is healthy and sleek? How did you come by him? The fawn rehab program was discontinued in the state of Mn due to CWD, and it has been a few years since I have had fawns.

angie":q1pyiw66 said:
hillsdown":q1pyiw66 said:
From what I have been taught and observed mange is rare, though possible, in deer. Usually it is paired with a compromised immune system ~ not as a result of the mange, but in addition to. Does your fawn have any other symptoms? No. His hair otherwise is healthy and sleek? YesHow did you come by him? The fawn rehab program was discontinued in the state of Mn due to CWD, and it has been a few years since I have had fawns.

Deer are farmed commercially here in Aus, and family friends of ours raise fallow deer. This guy was orphaned and they dont have the time or inclination to bottle feed, and asked if I wanted him.

Keren":1jcrwaay said:
Deer are farmed commercially here in Aus, and family friends of ours raise fallow deer. This guy was orphaned and they dont have the time or inclination to bottle feed, and asked if I wanted him.
Well, good for you! I would suggest benign neglect.

ordinarily I would say benign neglect too - except that, at the moment I am part of a mobile animal nursery, and Coco is one of our star attractions. And obviously it doesnt look real good to the public, if we have a half bald deer. Which is why I'm really hoping I can clear it up ...

Keren":23b2sbf4 said:
ordinarily I would say benign neglect too - except that, at the moment I am part of a mobile animal nursery, and Coco is one of our star attractions. And obviously it doesnt look real good to the public, if we have a half bald deer. Which is why I'm really hoping I can clear it up ...
Oh! Thats really funny in a twisted sort of way!
You're right though. The public likes pretty more than reality.
Find out what those folks use to worm their animals (pour on for external parasites I would suggest) and use that (?).