Bottle Babies

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Because I have lost my mind and nothing else to do . I have started fooling with bottle babies again. They are selling from 2.00 to very most $20.00 if they are a week old. I guess I am a gluten for punishment.

Well, you won't have a large investment in calf purchases at those prices. Just the milk replacer and your time and some meds. Good luck with the calves. At least you already have the experience and know what is required.

Before I retired from my day job, I worked for a large company with offices all over. Met one of my fellow employees from our Wisconsin office. He mentioned that he raised veal in stalls. Now, he had a full time day job that required travel sometimes. I asked how many he had. The answer was 400. Did not have time to discuss details or what help he had. But was surprised with the number. I know next to nothing about the veal market, but thought that 400 of them would require a big effort.

Well, you won't have a large investment in calf purchases at those prices. Just the milk replacer and your time and some meds. Good luck with the calves. At least you already have the experience and know what is required.

Before I retired from my day job, I worked for a large company with offices all over. Met one of my fellow employees from our Wisconsin office. He mentioned that he raised veal in stalls. Now, he had a full time day job that required travel sometimes. I asked how many he had. The answer was 400. Did not have time to discuss details or what help he had. But was surprised with the number. I know next to nothing about the veal market, but thought that 400 of them would require a big effort.
I use to fool with them before I have a shed for them and some milk tanks but it is work. I won't get rich but its something to do. Replacer will be biggest expense.

I know next to nothing about the veal market, but thought that 400 of them would require a big effort.
Me neither save for an acquaintance in CA that raised ~ 40 at a time on a contract basis with a major mid west veal producing company. Her set up was pretty amazing and she made big bucks.
Guessing 400 head is his annual production & assuredly has a contract with a major purveyor.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswveal.pdf

Perusal of the internet indicates retail price/lb for veal is comparative to Wagyu.

Me neither save for an acquaintance in CA that raised ~ 40 at a time on a contract basis with a major mid west veal producing company. Her set up was pretty amazing and she made big bucks.
Guessing 400 head is his annual production & assuredly has a contract with a major purveyor.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswveal.pdf

Perusal of the internet indicates retail price/lb for veal is comparative to Wagyu.
400 calves at a time would not be an unusually large veal operation in Wisconsin. He would probably have a couple full time employees. They're usually raised on slats, so no labor spent on bedding. They feed them up to around 500 pounds, so even on a farm that large only a handful of those calves are young enough to be a lot of work. The bigger calves just need feed put in front of them.

Because I have lost my mind and nothing else to do . I have started fooling with bottle babies again. They are selling from 2.00 to very most $20.00 if they are a week old. I guess I am a gluten for punishment.
What kind of calves? Unless you're getting Jerseys, that's dirt cheap.

I saw where you were keeping them warm. A friend of mine raises bottle calves and sells them for custom beef. He says he makes more on them than his beef calves in the end.
Yes sir it does work out that way sometimes. Are you going to get some? Keeping them warm and dry while they are tender is best. We had 3" of snow last night.

Latest posts