Bots

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdy! There are products out there to remove the bots, but if you have a CALM, easygoing horse, you can use a type of a hoofpick (the kind with a sharp edge on it)and scrape the bots off. This is what I use. **Be careful** so you don't injure yourself OR the horse! You could also use a pair of 'kid' scissors (blunt ends) and just clip the hairs above the bots. I definetly would not reccomened either method if you have a spooky or skittish horse--you, or the horse (or both!) could easily get hurt! Go to the local feed store & see what they have for bot removal if you aren't comfortable with the 'home-style/cheap' methods! :) Hope this helps--Jay

Most feed/tack stores and online horse/livestock catalogs sell a bot comb. It's kind of sharp, but easy to use. Just comb it through the hair and it clips off the bot eggs.

Physical removal of the eggs, plus a regular worming program are very important in controlling this icky parasite.

> My friend's horse has bot eggs in
> between her foreleg and belly. Is
> there a scraper or could you use a
> Magic Block(grooming material)?

> Howdy! There are products out
> there to remove the bots, but if
> you have a CALM, easygoing horse,
> you can use a type of a hoofpick
> (the kind with a sharp edge on
> it)and scrape the bots off. This
> is what I use. **Be careful** so
> you don't injure yourself OR the
> horse! You could also use a pair
> of 'kid' scissors (blunt ends) and
> just clip the hairs above the
> bots. I definetly would not
> reccomened either method if you
> have a spooky or skittish
> horse--you, or the horse (or
> both!) could easily get hurt! Go
> to the local feed store & see
> what they have for bot removal if
> you aren't comfortable with the
> 'home-style/cheap' methods! :)
> Hope this helps--Jay we use a old disposable razor works great. and cheap. oscar p.

[email protected]