Bos Indicus cattle to increase Heterosis, read mess. b4 vote

Help Support CattleToday:

Have you use Bos Indicus influence to increase Heterosis to your commercial herd? If YES, what breed

• Gyr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guzerat

• Nelore or Ongole

• Indubrazil

• Brahman

• all of the above

• No, but interested

• No, not interested

• Total voters

A. delaGarza

Reaction score
In a commercial basis we know that bos Indicus cattle will add more heterosis to English or Continental breeds and with an influence as low as 12.5% or 1/8 you will still have this benefit with the advantage of not having any complaint with the ear or hump.

Do you know that if you are in the need of using Bos Indicus influence cattle to add heterosis to your commercial herd you can use any of the different breeds and you could obtain all the distinguishing characteristics of the Indicus but could get more specific benefits, as for example; Gyr is a dual purpose compact breed high in milk production, Guzerat is the largest and considered a draft animal with moderate milk, Nelore or Ongole is a large muscular dual purpose breed with the best quality meat, and Indubrazil taller and similar to Brahman but with larger ears and less muscle.[/b][/list]

I don't care much for the eared cattle. We had about 10 super baldy steers this summer in the lot and when we went to sell them we got docked a quarter compared to the same weight Bos Taurus steers that we sold the same day. If I lived down south and needed some ear I might look into it but until then I'm not interested.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised that more folks don't use the Nelore down here since:

(1) there seems to be decent evidence that they are about the best of the Bos Indicus cattle from the carcass standpoint;

(2) they apparently won't add any more hump to a calf than any of the other Bos Indicus;

(3) much more normal sized ears, generally speaking --- therefore seemingly better to "disguise" the Indicus influence in their crossbred calves;

I'd love to hear reasons why more folks have not used them in crossbreeding -- perhaps its just a relative lack of availability of purebred Nelore as compared to the Brahman?? Arnold Ziffle

i like it for the maternal qualities i like brangus cross and i have a braford bull 5/8 hereford and 3/8 brahman and i like his calves, but mainly for heifers.

Hopefull ythe Nelore would add enough to override the Braunvieh

dun

cow puncher":1axh9l9o said:
i would love to try a 3/8 5/8 braunvieh nelore cross

jcarkie":3a7hi19f said:
i like it for the maternal qualities i like brangus cross and i have a braford bull 5/8 hereford and 3/8 brahman and i like his calves, but mainly for heifers.

The 5/8 X 3/8 takes most of the ear out and complently illimates the hump. So it you used a 5/8 X 3/8 bull on English cows you would not be able to tell it had any Brahman influence. You would get all the hardy influence though.

why dont you go ahead a voice youre opinion mr DUN , what dont you like about braunvieh ? let me guess you have been assosiated with some very PROMINENT breeders and they had calving problems some where in the ozark sticks go ahead and feed us that crap , i run 400 plus females on a forest sevice alotment in AZ , over 32,000 acres and i can assure you these cattle if selected buy a cattle man will perform , the last three years i have hade an 91 % wean rate and if you know a damn thing about cattle you will relize this is very very good for my part of the country , these cattle are tough and they husle for feed and fight off lions.

A decade or more ago a couple of purebred herd of Nelore were imported to the US. As far as I know the breed did not go over well and they no longer exist as a pure breed in the US. The American Brahman Breeders Association maintains separate herd books for the various Bos Indicus breeds. If they have any registered to the Nelore Herdbook they might give you information on who owns them. If you are deseperate to cross with a pure Nelore bull you can probably find an A.I. sire.

Anonymous":2gi8gmhz said:
Frankly I'm a bit surprised that more folks don't use the Nelore down here since:

(1) there seems to be decent evidence that they are about the best of the Bos Indicus cattle from the carcass standpoint;

(2) they apparently won't add any more hump to a calf than any of the other Bos Indicus;

(3) much more normal sized ears, generally speaking --- therefore seemingly better to "disguise" the Indicus influence in their crossbred calves;

I'd love to hear reasons why more folks have not used them in crossbreeding -- perhaps its just a relative lack of availability of purebred Nelore as compared to the Brahman?? Arnold Ziffle

Dun,
I've never used them but I've seen some real good ones. I'm just curious what beef breeds do you like and which would you not use?

I may be overly conservative, but we stick pretty much with Angus (preferably red), Polled Hereford, Shorthorn if I could find a few proven bulls in any of the studs that met our requirements. For continental, Gelbvieh and Simmenthal. We're back to the depth of the gene pool thing with proven accuracies.

dun

Ollie":1awz0rj7 said:
Dun,
I've never used them but I've seen some real good ones. I'm just curious what beef breeds do you like and which would you not use?

Latest posts