borrowed my gooseneck and tore up all the tires

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
tri axle. loaned it to a guy to help out his sister whos house got some trees knocked down around it about 200 mi away. hes a guy i know from work and lives near me. so he wants to haul his backhoe up there to help out.
i dont usually loan people stuff but it was a sob story and im gettin soft in my old age.
so he calls me on his way back and tells me he been thru six tires in 150 mi...now i dont know what he hauled up there but it mustve been a helluva backhoe. he made it there fine apparently but couldnt make it back...says the trlr was doggin goin down the road scuffin off the tires..he spends a bunch of time and money redrilling the spring seats in a rest area to get it home...brings it in with 4 bad tires and 1 bad rim..1 bad hub....
1 month later hes got the hub and the wheel fixed but i still got no tires and he wants me to pay for the mtg and i gotta buy the hub...cuz he already spent 1500 bucks on it....
i dont think i oughtta pay squat...was fine in my barn til he gotta ahold of it but now if i need it i gotta fix it myself....so today i gotta go git 5 tires..he paid only for 4 finally and pay for all the mtg.
my time and trble for doin a favor...and people wonder why i am such an a-hole...anyone else feeling my pain...
oh yeah..while mine was sitting broken he went and bought himself a trlr..used but bigger than mine

yer kickball
gary

thanks fer nuthin

If he can buy a trailer, sounds like he can afford to fix yours. He broke it. He needs to fix it. Simple as that.

dieselbeef":34rk240l said:
tri axle. loaned it to a guy to help out his sister whos house got some trees knocked down around it about 200 mi away. hes a guy i know from work and lives near me. so he wants to haul his backhoe up there to help out.
i dont usually loan people stuff but it was a sob story and im gettin soft in my old age.
so he calls me on his way back and tells me he been thru six tires in 150 mi...now i dont know what he hauled up there but it mustve been a helluva backhoe. he made it there fine apparently but couldnt make it back...says the trlr was doggin goin down the road scuffin off the tires..he spends a bunch of time and money redrilling the spring seats in a rest area to get it home...brings it in with 4 bad tires and 1 bad rim..1 bad hub....
1 month later hes got the hub and the wheel fixed but i still got no tires and he wants me to pay for the mtg and i gotta buy the hub...cuz he already spent 1500 bucks on it....
i dont think i oughtta pay squat...was fine in my barn til he gotta ahold of it but now if i need it i gotta fix it myself....so today i gotta go git 5 tires..he paid only for 4 finally and pay for all the mtg.
my time and trble for doin a favor...and people wonder why i am such an a-hole...anyone else feeling my pain...
oh yeah..while mine was sitting broken he went and bought himself a trlr..used but bigger than mine

yer kickball
gary

thanks fer nuthin
ill know what your saying and it sucks, you lay back.. what goes around, comes around always does

No good deed goes unpunished. ;-) Two fellers I know, one loaned his dozer trailor to the other to haul some hay. Hay caught fire and burned the trailor up. Some are just lucky that way. :frowns: Been several trailor/hay fires recently.

Yeah, I feel your pain as I discovered yesterday that the fella I loaned a tractor to to pull someone out of a ditch hooked the chain to the tie rod and bent if like a pretzel. I have a rule about stuff like this but I guess I'm either to tender hearted or stupid to follow the rule. I'm beginning to think its the latter. Of course I'm sure your problem is only heart related.

gittin soft in my old age...lotta good quotes on here...im telling ya....as a rule i dont ever loan anything. this guy is our union business agent.
the last thing i told him was bring it back just like ya borrowed it...yeah yeah no problem man thanks...trust me. i wont let nuthin happen to it...uh huh!

now its outta my pocket...aint seen him face to face since he brought it back and made all them promises he didnt keep....but i will..so yall keep yer heads down :mad:

Years ago, I borrowed a trailer from a friend to haul a few goats. In the 2 days that I used it, I slung the tread off 3 of the 4 tires, + bent 1 of the rims.

It went back to him with a new rim, 4 brand new tires, and greased axle bearings. He told me that in a few years to please come back and borrow his trailer again. He would probably need new tires.......

Call it what you wish:

What goes around.....
Being a good neighbor/friend....
Karma....

Payback is he11

My personal rule #1: If I borrow it, it goes back in at least as good a shape as it was when I got it, greased and washed if possible, and put back in exactly the same spot and in exactly the way they had it when I got it. Even if it wasn't my fault it broke, it happened on my watch, so it's my responsibility.

Rule#2: If I don't believe you will follow rule #1, I won't loan it to you.

As far as I'm concerned, he owes you tires and rims on your trailer, and he needs to be quick about it because you might need it. Otherwise he is no better than a thief.

jkwilson":n54pg6l9 said:
My personal rule #1: If I borrow it, it goes back in at least as good a shape as it was when I got it, greased and washed if possible, and put back in exactly the same spot and in exactly the way they had it when I got it. Even if it wasn't my fault it broke, it happened on my watch, so it's my responsibility.

As far as I'm concerned, he owes you tires and rims on your trailer, and he needs to be quick about it because you might need it. Otherwise he is no better than a thief.

my list of friends is constantly getting shorter

dieselbeef":2alfm917 said:
jkwilson":2alfm917 said:

my list of friends is constantly getting shorter

Yeah, well the problem is you had him on your list in the first place.

Should have shortened it a couple years ago from the sound of it.

Write him off - do not ask him for any more fixing and do not ask him when it will get done.

Fix it yourself - pay the bill.

Then keep the bill - someday he may ask for it - probably not.

As has been said - "What goes around comes around".

Every time you run into him - just look him in the eye and then shake your head and walk away - say nothing.

He will either pay up or you will be far better off with him gone.

Cheap lesson - you might have needed something important and found out then!

Bez+

If you can't afford to buy one,you can't afford to borrow one.

I end up doing alot off free work,just so people won't be operating my stuff.I have a hard time telling them no,it's a good thing I'm not a girl.

bez im with ya...he wasnt even that good a "friend"...more like a nieghbor that i know and werked with but still...he was adamant about taking care of it and being desperate...

im fixin it today..he did fess up for 4 tires but im doin all the labor and paying the mtg and doin all the off/on trlr thing..as well as buying a new hub for it..

my wife asked me why i loaned it to him when she seen it heading down the drive ''cuz you never loan anyone anyhting''.....

yeah..i know...kinda reminds me of a guy i told about my out in the middle of nowhere fishin hole... he told all his buddys about...im running outta friends to screw me... :drink: :banana:

Some people are just hitch and go. Load a trailer with low tire pressure and just drive will cause problems. Experience ( and I had to experience it more than once I'm sad to say ) tells me that your trailer or someone else's, put the correct air pressure in before you drive off. That is a heck of a lot easier than fixin flats. Trying to put 3 loads on with just one trip will also cause problems. Some folks either don't care or don't know better that if the load is so heavy all the tires look flat then things aren't going to go well! Some folks with a trailer of any type are just a menace to good people on the road.

Phil's right. I couldn't believe we'd use an air compressor as much as we do, but it's an awfully simple way to ease your mind before hauling. As far as your situation diesel, here's what my husband says:
"When the Bible tells us to pray for our enemies, that doesn't just mean radical Islamic terrorists. There are lots of wolves in sheep's clothing in our own backyards."

There's three neighbors and me who more or less share each others equipment, and so for it's been great.
If we use a piece of equipment and it needs repair or maintenance we just do it no mater whose it is.
It's always returned to the owner in the same condition or better. Seems to work great for us anyhow.

Cal

Jogeephus":33xp9uvj said:
Yeah, I feel your pain as I discovered yesterday that the fella I loaned a tractor to to pull someone out of a ditch hooked the chain to the tie rod and bent if like a pretzel. I have a rule about stuff like this but I guess I'm either to tender hearted or stupid to follow the rule. I'm beginning to think its the latter. Of course I'm sure your problem is only heart related.

Did the wheels of the tractor turn? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dieselbeef":2yn9sihf said:

yer kickball
gary

thanks fer nuthin

So what did you learn from all that?

I thought it was the "universal policy"; everybody is supposed to know if you borrow it and something goes wrong while you have it, you are responsible for fixing it. This guy owes you but since it's someone you work with it could be awkward.

Our BIL wanted to keep his skid loader down here and out of his way as they live in the 'burbs. We got permission to use it to clean out our corral. Sure enough, it sprung a big hydraulic leak and the hoses and fittings to fix it were a couple hundred bucks. Would have been cheaper to rent one.

We have had a lot of borrowers of our trailers and tow dolly. Sooner or later we're bound to get burned like you did. I guess it's better to say no and let them think you are a stingy a-hole.

HerefordSire":27g3zopw said:
Jogeephus":27g3zopw said:

Did the wheels of the tractor turn? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes. It was very similar to what happens when you have a two party system of government. One was going left and the other right but the tractor stayed its course.

well...i went for the tires and they were paid for but not the mtg...so the guy brings em out and theyre light truck ties e rated..about 4'' shorter than the ones on the trlr so they aint gonna werk..i have f rated 7.50-16 tires on it...22 ton gooseneck. i call em up and he has a fit ...costing me a fortune ...blah blah...so i says ''look man..all i wanna do is get my trlr back on the road. already needed it twice since it got tore up....i tell him im goin to got get tires for it from my bud at the trlr shop and he can come get the reciept (or not) when he gets back form his biz trip''...all the while hes having a cow bout the money....i really wanted to say...''well ya had money to buy one before ya fixed mine''...but i didnt. so today i go spend 500 bucks on tires for a trlr that was sittin in my barn..not costin me a dime or a moment of my time..and spend 1/2 day haulin tires back and forth and puttin em back on the trlr and then puttin the trlr back in the barn...cuz i got all kinds of nuthin to do....

all so i could do someone a favor...im known for being an a-hole at work....i dont see that changing much anytime soon. at least when people think im a d*** for not letting somebody borrow somethin it wont cost me anything....thats why i got a stk trlr and a backhoe for only having 15 cows...cuz i aint a borrower...

thanks for the vent..kept me from setting his truk on fire

gary

Latest posts