Boron on alfalfa ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We live in an area that has low boron content in the soil. I have gotten very inconsistent input from our ag service on the amount of boron per application, and how soon you can apply it safely after seeding the alfalfa.

What is the most boron you have applied at one time and how did it turn out?

Boron is a very tricky trace element to deal with. Alfalfa requires it but at very low levels. Too much boron is toxic to the plants. I can't remember ever applying more than 6 pounds per acre and most of the time in the 2 to 4 pounds per acre. That is for a one time application. Annual applications are more like 1 pound per acre. Boron is deadly to cereal grains and most of the information about not applying it to a young stand are in reference to a nurse crop planted with the alfalfa. Soil test and check with someone local.

novatech":12nn8yaj said:
If you have done a soil test it should tell you how much you need to apply.

I seeded alfalfa with oats in May. I plan to top dress in August after combining. The soil test says put on 3 pounds of boron per acre...

One local ag service company said 1 pound max per application.
A second ag service company said 2 pound max per application.
A third ag service rep said none during the seeding year...

Don't you love it when you ask three different people for their opinion and you get three different answers to the same question. The problem is that boron is so tricky. Not enough will hurt your yields but too much will hurt them even more. When dealing with boron my advise is to go slowly. It is easy enough to add another pound or two later. it is not that easy to go back and reseed a field.