bored with the same old recipes-

Help Support CattleToday:

Jilleroo, I spent a couple of winters in Perth and became hooked on those meat pies you have. They are not the mince meat with raisins and fruit like here in the states. The combination of meat with the flaky crust was incredible. I liked the meat and cheese variety. I never have learned to make them taste as good as what I got in your part of the world.

jilleroo":2bal9f71 said:
Thanks for the info re tater tots! There is no equivalent of them here in outback Australia. Potato cakes would be the closest, leftover mashed potato with some flour and egg, fried with or without breadcrumbs. We don't tend to grate potatoes much at all over here, we mash them British-style, I suppose because of our origins.
As for "pone" - no, none of that here either! I think the only time I've heard that word used is by Granny Clampett! "Hey Jethro, come'n get ya possum belly 'n corn pone!!" :D Thanks for enlightening me as to what it is....
I guess our most notable outback recipe is damper which is basically just flour and water. If cooked properly in hot coals, its delicious with sugar cane syrup or treacle. If not cooked properly, its indigestible. Although there are about 10,000 of them on our property, we don't eat kangaroo ourselves but harvest small numbers of them for sale when possible.

What does kangeroo meat taste like?

Gail

Yes, the good old meat pie is a great favourite....can't believe you don't have them over there? Just make a hole in the top with your finger and squit in the tomato sauce - hard to beat!
Gail, I have never tasted roo meat! And have absolutely no interest in eating it! Even though we would easy be running 10,000 on this place at the moment.....They're in plague proportions as Russia has banned the import of roo meat (they use it to make sausage.) Its mainly city folk who eat it and my cousins who eat it say its a bit gamey but quite acceptable. I'll take their word for it! I'm sure there'll be someone on the board who's tried it? (Hey, maybe I've eaten it in a meat pie and didn't know!!)

jilleroo":1qvxsh61 said:
Yes, the good old meat pie is a great favourite....can't believe you don't have them over there? Just make a hole in the top with your finger and squit in the tomato sauce - hard to beat!
Gail, I have never tasted roo meat! And have absolutely no interest in eating it! Even though we would easy be running 10,000 on this place at the moment.....They're in plague proportions as Russia has banned the import of roo meat (they use it to make sausage.) Its mainly city folk who eat it and my cousins who eat it say its a bit gamey but quite acceptable. I'll take their word for it! I'm sure there'll be someone on the board who's tried it? (Hey, maybe I've eaten it in a meat pie and didn't know!!)

I bet the French "upper class" will eat it when Horse is not available. :lol2: :lol2:

Mexican Casserole

2lbs ground beef
2 pkg enchilada seasoning mix
Chopped onion
2 cans chili beans (16 oz sz)
2 jars salsa (small to med siz)
2lbs grated cheddar cheese
2 lg bags Fritos - crushed

Fry ground beef with onion, drain and add seasoning mix. Stir well and add beans, salsa, and small handful (1 cup?) of cheese. Simmer till hot and cheese is melted. In 9x13 cake pan. Alternate beef mix, chees, crushed fritos, ending with cheese on top of fritos. Bake at 350* till cheese is melted.
Serve with more fritos for xtra crunch. Some like to add lattuce and more cheese and salsa. Enjoy.

Valerie

vclavin":6zpbuh85 said:
Mexican Casserole

2lbs ground beef
2 pkg enchilada seasoning mix
Chopped onion
2 cans chili beans (16 oz sz)
2 jars salsa (small to med siz)
2lbs grated cheddar cheese
2 lg bags Fritos - crushed

Fry ground beef with onion, drain and add seasoning mix. Stir well and add beans, salsa, and small handful (1 cup?) of cheese. Simmer till hot and cheese is melted. In 9x13 cake pan. Alternate beef mix, chees, crushed fritos, ending with cheese on top of fritos. Bake at 350* till cheese is melted.
Serve with more fritos for xtra crunch. Some like to add lattuce and more cheese and salsa. Enjoy.

Valerie
This recipe sounds real good-gonna print it and try it this week-thanks

Taco salad

1 lb ground beef
1 head romaine leatuce chopped
1 package taco seasoning
1 large tomato diced
1 ear of corn, cooked and cut off cob
1 can dark red kidney beans drained
1 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
Dorito's nacho cheese flavor chips, slightly crushed

Brown beef, drain. Add taco seasoning, 1/3 cup water, and drained beans. Simmer for about 5 min.
In large bowl mix leatuce, tomato, corn and cheese. Mix beef/beans into salad. top with dorito's. YUM!
Enjoy!

Steak and Veggie Fajita's

1 Pound Steak, cut into thin strips
1 sweet onion, halved then sliced
1 bell pepper (any color) sliced thin
2 zucchini, halved then sliced to about 1/4 inch pieces
2 yellow longneck squash, cut to about 1/4 inch bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup of marinade- I use one called Allegro.... Dale's would work also
Tortillas
Toppings- leatuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, whatever you want...

Cook Steak, marinade, garlic and veggies on med heat in a large skillet. Stir often, do not use a lid. Cook until veggies are prefered tenderness. Serve with warm tortillas, toppings.

I make this with a package of yellow rice and a can of refried beans. Good stuff!

Sausage, potatoes and onion......(aka man food) super easy to make

1 Package beef smoked sausage (i use Hillshire Farms) cut into bite size pieces
5 med size potatoes (any kind will do), washed and cut into bite sze pieces
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 or 4 green onions, washed and diced
salt/pepper

Put everything in large skillet (i use an electric skillet) heated to about 300-325. Stir about every 10 minutes. Cook for about an hour or whenever the potatoes are tender and browned.

Chicken dijon

3 Boneless skinnless chicken breast, cut in half
4 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp water
1 tsp basil of italian seasoning
pepper to taste

Mix all in a bowl and put in fridge to marinate for atleast an hour. Pour into baking dish (round cake pan works fine) and arrange chicken into a single layer. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 min.
When i make this i make biscuits with it, so i cook at 400 degrees for about 25-30 min.

Dump Cake (funny name, awesome dessert) :)

1 can crushed pineapple and juice....i think it's 10 ounce can
1 can blueberry/cherry/peach pie filling.....you could use whatever kind you like
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of melted BUTTER- not margerine!

Heat oven to 350. Grease 13x9 cake pan. Pour whole can pineapple and juice into pan and spread evenly. Pour or spoon fruit pie filling over evenly. Then sprinkle cake mix (straight out of the box) evenly over fruit. Lastly pour or spoon melted butter evenly over top. Bake 35-40 min, until bubbly.

You can also add chopped pecan ar walnut if you like.

Serve with whipped cream or a la mode.

will post more later on, have great recipes for homemade chicken pot pie, lasagna, alfredo, squash/zucchini casserole, cubed steak and mushroom gravy........let me know if you want me to post anything.

Here's a good one I made last night. Not sure what to call it.

6 Boneless pork chops
1 can rotel (diced tomato with green chilis)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic chopped

Cook everything on low heat in a skillet with a lid. I start mine about noon and let it cook till suppertime. Pork should fall apart when it's done, break it up and stir. Serve on corn tortillas, with whatever toppings you'd like. Serve with refried beans or black beans, corn, yellow rice.

If you have left over yellow rice here's a great recipe:

Broccoli, cheese and rice casserole

About 1 to 2 cups leftover yellow rice
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
about a 3/4 inch slice of velvetta cheese, cut into cubes
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded cheddar, for topping
crushed crackers of croutons for topping
Boil broccoli in med sauce pot till for 5 min, drain water. Add velvetta, milk, and yellow rice, cook till melted. Pour into greased casserole. Top with cheddar and crushed crackers. Bake for 30 min, 350-400 degrees.

sheilad916":1xo4akm3 said:
Chicken dijon

3 Boneless skinnless chicken breast, cut in half
4 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp water
1 tsp basil of italian seasoning
pepper to taste

Mix all in a bowl and put in fridge to marinate for atleast an hour. Pour into baking dish (round cake pan works fine) and arrange chicken into a single layer. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 min.
When i make this i make biscuits with it, so i cook at 400 degrees for about 25-30 min.

This sounds delicious. I'm going to try it with pasta on the side.
Thanks, keep 'em coming! :nod:

sheilad916":sw6i5bf0 said:
will post more later on, have great recipes for homemade chicken pot pie, lasagna, alfredo, squash/zucchini casserole, cubed steak and mushroom gravy........let me know if you want me to post anything.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie - that sounds really good!
Valerie

Chicken Pot Pie

3 large Boneless Skinnless Chicken Breast, cooked and chunked
1/3 cup butter
1 sweet onion diced
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 can full of milk (cream of chicken can)
1 cup frozen peas and carrot
1 can corn, drained
2 med potatoes, pealed cubed and cooked (i put diced potato in a big bowl with water and microwave for about 10 minuted till tender)
1 10 count can of flaky biscuits

Cook chicken set aside. Combine butter, onion, sage, thyme, pepper in a saute pan and cook on med till onion is transparent. Add cream of chicken, and milk, heat to boiling while stirring. Add drained veggies, and chicken. Heat for about 10 min. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into greased casserole. Top with canned biscuits (see below for alternate crust topping). Bake at 375 for 45 min.

Alternate Crust (more like crispy pie crust)
1 1/2 cups bisquick
3 tbsp softened butter
3 tbsp water

Mix all ingredients, spoon onto wax paper. Form into crust that is size and shape of casserole dish. Invert over top of pie filling in the casserole. It doesn't have to look perfect....it'll still taste good!

sheilad916":22yn831e said:
Here's a good one I made last night. Not sure what to call it.

6 Boneless pork chops
1 can rotel (diced tomato with green chilis)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic chopped

Cook everything on low heat in a skillet with a lid. I start mine about noon and let it cook till suppertime. Pork should fall apart when it's done, break it up and stir. Serve on corn tortillas, with whatever toppings you'd like. Serve with refried beans or black beans, corn, yellow rice.

If you have left over yellow rice here's a great recipe:

Broccoli, cheese and rice casserole

About 1 to 2 cups leftover yellow rice
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
about a 3/4 inch slice of velvetta cheese, cut into cubes
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded cheddar, for topping
crushed crackers of croutons for topping
Boil broccoli in med sauce pot till for 5 min, drain water. Add velvetta, milk, and yellow rice, cook till melted. Pour into greased casserole. Top with cheddar and crushed crackers. Bake for 30 min, 350-400 degrees.

I made the pork recipe a few nights ago, I put the pork and other ingredients in a crock pot on low, as I dont have time to cook it on the stove, and WOW, this is a awesome recipe, everyone loved it, so moist and so tasty.A keeper for sure!

jilleroo":36wcex3w said:
Thanks for the info re tater tots! There is no equivalent of them here in outback Australia. Potato cakes would be the closest, leftover mashed potato with some flour and egg, fried with or without breadcrumbs. We don't tend to grate potatoes much at all over here, we mash them British-style, I suppose because of our origins.
As for "pone" - no, none of that here either! I think the only time I've heard that word used is by Granny Clampett! "Hey Jethro, come'n get ya possum belly 'n corn pone!!" :D Thanks for enlightening me as to what it is....
I guess our most notable outback recipe is damper which is basically just flour and water. If cooked properly in hot coals, its delicious with sugar cane syrup or treacle. If not cooked properly, its indigestible. Although there are about 10,000 of them on our property, we don't eat kangaroo ourselves but harvest small numbers of them for sale when possible.

I've got to tell you because this whole thing made me "chuckle"...we had Jake Phillips here from Australia (Murray Greys)...and I said to him, "Jake, there's brownies there on the island...help yourself"...he busted out laughing and asked "What is a brownie??!!!!"... I told him a fudgy kind of cake? He said in Australia that would be called "slice"....and I thought THAT was funny! The whole visit was a blast....

Latest posts