• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bored with the same old recipes-

GMN

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest, MO
I need some fresh ideas for suppers. I have cookbooks a glore, but have made alot of the recipes over and over again, any ideas for quick meals, hamburger dishes etc..need something new and exciting, plus easy.

GMN
 

LoveMoo11

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
I posted a recipe for chicken & potato teriyaki on here a while ago-that's something I just started making not too long ago-its really easy and quick. I also found a recipe for a "cheat" on chicken pot pie that isn't half bad-you just take chicken, some frozen peas and carrots, and a can of cream of chicken soup, mix it together and top with biscuit dough (can be from a mix or the fridge) and bake it up.
 

MO_cows

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
1
Location
outside Kansas City MO
How about beefy spanish rice? Skillet casserole - you need a big skillet with tight fitting lid. Brown 1 pound burger, adding chopped onion/garlic if you like and time permits. Drain off fat if needed, add 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 1/2 cups water. Salt/pepper/cumin to taste. Stir, bring to bubbling, cover and cook on low heat 20-25 mins until rice is done. Put grated cheddar/colby jack/mex blend cheese over it and re-cover until cheese melts. Could make it even quicker with minute rice, but the liquid measurements would change according to package directions.

Quesadillas - make with leftover cooked meat. Chicken, pork, beef all work. Chop up meat, season by tossing with salt/pepper/cumin and a little salsa, or chili powder, or canned green chilis. Heat skillet, put 1 large flour tortilla in skillet and sprinkle half of it with shredded cheese and meat. Fold over in half. Just needs to cook a minute, then flip over. Just needs lightly browned and cheese melted. Cut in thirds (triangles), dip in salsa and/or sour cream. Home-made bar food.
 

gerardplauche

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Location
LA
I'm a seafood buff. 2 quick meals are: 1) fried calamari with 'Cajun Power' garlic sauce (I can send you a bottle if you like) and 2) Baked sea scallops wrapped in bacon seasoned with lemon juice, worshitsher :( sauce, and lemon pepper.
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,925
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta, Canada
GMN if I am really stuck and don't know what to do I always go for Frittatas or quiches they are easy to prep and you usually always have stuff to ad in the eggs meat veggies etc.

Other things are taco salads or making a huge pot of beef vegetable soup that you can have left overs for a few days. I love just making broiled wild salmon with a salad on the side. Or pork ribs that you can throw in the oven for a few hours and leave and use ILH's sauce recipe on them (mine is low carb though). The good ole pot roast with potatoes and carrots baked at it's side is always a great one that can be left unattended .

If you plan a loose menu for the week ahead of time and have a few go to's when you really run into trouble it usually works out well. I know with your dairy you can have anything pop up and be stuck to make a quick meal. A baked frittata is quick and easy .

Good luck and hopefully something new and tasty will pop up for you.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
How about try this.... Subscribe to the new Food Network Magazine. They're doing 12 issues for $10.00 now. Lots of new, different, quick ideas in there.

Best place to keep that magazine is in the bathroom. That way you can accomplish two things at once!
 

GMN

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest, MO
MO_cows":1facdioi said:
How about beefy spanish rice? Skillet casserole - you need a big skillet with tight fitting lid. Brown 1 pound burger, adding chopped onion/garlic if you like and time permits. Drain off fat if needed, add 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 1/2 cups water. Salt/pepper/cumin to taste. Stir, bring to bubbling, cover and cook on low heat 20-25 mins until rice is done. Put grated cheddar/colby jack/mex blend cheese over it and re-cover until cheese melts. Could make it even quicker with minute rice, but the liquid measurements would change according to package directions.

Quesadillas - make with leftover cooked meat. Chicken, pork, beef all work. Chop up meat, season by tossing with salt/pepper/cumin and a little salsa, or chili powder, or canned green chilis. Heat skillet, put 1 large flour tortilla in skillet and sprinkle half of it with shredded cheese and meat. Fold over in half. Just needs to cook a minute, then flip over. Just needs lightly browned and cheese melted. Cut in thirds (triangles), dip in salsa and/or sour cream. Home-made bar food.

This recipe sounds quite good, easy too, the gang may like it.

Gail
 

farmwriter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South
We use leftover roast for easy stir fry. If the roast is tender enough it sorta falls apart, no cutting required. Cook frozen chopped veggies, add meat just before veggies are done so meat just has time to warm through. Rice and a little soy sauce and your in business.
If we want stir fry and don't have leftover meat, I use our round steak and this is the easiest sauce in the world: equal parts soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, and honey then hot sauce to taste if you like it spicy.
Stir it all together in a small bowl and pour over cooked meat and veggies and toss. Soooooo simple but the taste is excellent.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,438
Reaction score
7
Location
Heart of Texas
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
2 lb ground turkey or hamburger cooked, seasoned, drained
3 2lb bags tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken
Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.
(
 

Alan

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
9,514
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Oregon
I'm loving this thread and the "recipe" board. I'm getting some good ideas and recipes off it. I put the "beefy spanish rice" in my recipe box already and will give it a try in a couple of days (I've had a pork loin marinating in teriyaki for the last 48 hrs... it meets the smoker this afternoon along with sauteed baby red potatoes :p ).

Keep these quick easy ones coming!

Thanks for sharing,
Alan
 

Alan

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
9,514
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Oregon
TexasBred":39uuti4k said:
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
2 lb ground turkey or hamburger cooked, seasoned, drained
3 2lb bags tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken
Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.
(

My wife and I have done something similar to this for years. Only we use all cream of chicken instead of mushroom and 4 to 6 eggs instead of evaporated milk. We will also use what ever meat is left over and cut it into bite size pieces, ham, pork, roast, steak.

We have gotten into the habit a putting what ever "little" left over meat we have into a freezer bag, date it and into the freezer for such an occasion.

Thanks to all for sharing,
Alan
 

MO_cows

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
1
Location
outside Kansas City MO
The tator tot recipe looks really good, but wondering if you could cut in half? It would make too much for one meal in our household.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,438
Reaction score
7
Location
Heart of Texas
MO_cows":3eamgbrk said:
The tator tot recipe looks really good, but wondering if you could cut in half? It would make too much for one meal in our household.


Sure you can...just be sure and count out an even number of tater tots so you can still "half them". :lol2: :lol2: It's really pretty darn good. I'd never eaten it until Tuesday night...
 

MO_cows

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
1
Location
outside Kansas City MO
Thought of another one....

Parmesan chicken
Mix dry bread crumbs and parmesan cheese half and half in a shallow dish, about 1/4 cup of each. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder.
Dip 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in beaten egg then in crumbs. Cook in large skillet just until golden brown both sides. Pour a can/jar of spaghetti sauce over, cover and cook on lowered heat for 15-20 mins. until chicken is done. Put mozzarella on each breast to melt if you like. Serve with spaghetti. (If you start the water for the pasta before you start messin' with the chicken, they'll get done about the same time.)
 

Alan

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
9,514
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Oregon
MO_cows":1uis1cvl said:
The tator tot recipe looks really good, but wondering if you could cut in half? It would make too much for one meal in our household.

I'm sure you can without a problem, this is where the dogs get the left overs :D . We also use frozen hashbrown or tator tots what ever is in the freezer.

Thanks for the second recipe!

Alan
 

Jalopy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
1,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Iowa- USA
Our quick standby recipe is what we call "po folk food". Basically real simple beans and burger.
1 lb hamburger Browned and drained
1 16oz can of pork and beans
1 diced onion
1/2 diced green pepper
@ 1 TB catsup
@ 1 TB mustard
@ 2 TB of molasses or honey

Begin browning the burger, add the onion and pepper as soon as you drain the burger. cook until onion and pepper are tender then add the sauce and beans and warm through. serve over fresh baked biscuits. Good and filling.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,438
Reaction score
7
Location
Heart of Texas
Jalopy":3lhjdpoj said:
Our quick standby recipe is what we call "po folk food". Basically real simple beans and burger.
1 lb hamburger Browned and drained
1 16oz can of pork and beans
1 diced onion
1/2 diced green pepper
@ 1 TB catsup
@ 1 TB mustard
@ 2 TB of molasses or honey

Begin browning the burger, add the onion and pepper as soon as you drain the burger. cook until onion and pepper are tender then add the sauce and beans and warm through. serve over fresh baked biscuits. Good and filling.

Heck I bet that would be good just poured over a bowl of fritos too.
 

Latest posts

Top