border

Help Support CattleToday:

I know too that R-CALF and many cattle and consumer groups will file suit-- They have to in order to protect the US cattle industry.....

Even the USDA admits that their proposal to open the border is going to cost the US cattle industry $2.8 - $3 BILLION a year.......

One of my fears is that with increased BSE awareness one of these days consumers are going to wake up to the fact that there is no way for them to differentiate US beef from Canadian beef or Mexican beef or from any other country-Its all passed off with a USDA stamp as a US product----With the knowledge of all the BSE in Canada this could cause a consumer decrease in demand that will cost the US cattle industry much more than $3 billion..............

My contention is that we should not have to be doing this and in doing so more publicizing Canada's BSE problem-- USDA shouldn't be trying to change the long in place rules and opening the border in the first place- USDA's primary job is to protect the UNITED STATES cattle industry...

OIE hasn't even reduced their BSE rules down to this extent- this is something the USDA has taken upon themselves.....

Hopefully in the weeks to come some of our Senators and Congressmen can bring the USDA powers to be around to saner thinking.....

Here's a very simple solution for you. All you have to do to keep Canadian cattle from entering the US is to stop your counterparts down there from buying them. Rumor has it that even your buddy Leo over at R-CALF still owns some cattle in Canada. Obviously, he understands the importance of hedging. If you had no buyers down there, we wouldn't be shipping anything south. If there was any measurable risk, do you think that the feedlot owners and packers would be importing those cattle into the States?Some of the comments on this board make it fairly clear to me that many of you have not studied this disease enough to know what you are talking about. Mostly just more politics and fear-mongering brought to you by your friendly neighborhood R-CALF supporters.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3fssem6h said:
Here's a very simple solution for you. All you have to do to keep Canadian cattle from entering the US is to stop your counterparts down there from buying them. Rumor has it that even your buddy Leo over at R-CALF still owns some cattle in Canada. Obviously, he understands the importance of hedging. If you had no buyers down there, we wouldn't be shipping anything south. If there was any measurable risk, do you think that the feedlot owners and packers would be importing those cattle into the States?Some of the comments on this board make it fairly clear to me that many of you have not studied this disease enough to know what you are talking about. Mostly just more politics and fear-mongering brought to you by your friendly neighborhood R-CALF supporters.

I couldn't agree more! Granted, I no longer count on the cows for a living or even a significant part of it, but it's time to loose the protectionist mindset. We (at least I) may not like the idea that world trade is so interingled but that's the way it is. If you don;t like it enough to bitch, then start doing something to get it changed or change your operation so that it won't be affected. That's an impossibility but it will provide another source of fodder for bitching.
I also like the concept of COOL and the NAIS, but I sure have no use for R-Calf.

dun

Cattle Rack Rancher":3ru5rhte said:
Some of the comments on this board make it fairly clear to me that many of you have not studied this disease enough to know what you are talking about. Mostly just more politics and fear-mongering brought to you by your friendly neighborhood R-CALF supporters.

Cattle Rack Rancher- there are dozens of different theories being purported on cause and transmission of TSE's and BSE- most by Canadians - and most on the basis of intelligent scientists with as sound of theories as the next one-- Many are now questioning why every case of BSE that has been found in North America came from cattle that originated in ALBERTA-- Just is not enough known about this disease to jeopardize an industry by throwing open the doors....

You talk of fear mongering and politics- but yet the Canadians fear COOL so bad that they have used all their political clout to keep the US from developing the law requiring it... Why are they afraid to allow the consumer to choose which country the meat they eat comes from? Are they afraid the US consumer may not buy foreign beef?

COOL is not just a marketing issue but is a health issue-- With the increased Canadian BSE problems many consumers would like to be able to choose....

When I stand at the meat counter anymore and look at a steak the first question that comes to mind- IS IT OR ISN'T IT?-- Is that steak US or Canadian?- Did it come from that area of Alberta? Their is no way to tell because the US packer and retailer is allowed to remove all Canadian markings- stamp it with a USDA stamp- and pass it off as US beef.

As more and more Canadian diseased cattle are found, how many of the consumers will start asking the same question? How many will buy pork or chicken instead? Just because the Canadians, NCBA, the packers and retailers don't want to tell consumers the truth and leave the decision to them..........

Until the disease is proven by testing to be absent from the Canadian herd I will oppose the opening of the border to any live cattle---I will also argue against the importation of any Canadian beef until we get a COOL law functioning to allow consumers to decide if the meat they feed their kids should come from the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil Australia, or any of the approximately 40 countries we import meat from............

there are dozens of different theories ...most by Canadians

Really. I'd like to see some of these dozens of theories. Interesting that I live in Canada and I haven't seen them.

but yet the Canadians fear COOL so bad that they have used all their political clout

What clout would that be? Our country has about 1/10th the US. Our clout doesn't count for squat.

COOL is not just a marketing issue but is a health issue

Unlike the US, our BSE cows have never made it into the human food supply.

I will also argue against the importation of any Canadian beef until we get a COOL law functioning to allow consumers to decide if the meat they feed their kids should come from the US,

I have no problem with a good product differentiation strategy. The fact that we have found our BSE cows and done it intentionally through our screening methods is what is giving our export markets confidence in our beef. The American BSE cow was found by fluke from what I understand. Our testing along with our traceback system will be the thing that makes our beef in high demand around the world. Good Luck.

Cattle Rack Rancher":z9suzeel said:
Our testing along with our traceback system will be the thing that makes our beef in high demand around the world. Good Luck.

Ok CattleRack , If you say so........maybe Mexico has not heard of your traceback system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mexico City January 04, 2005
The federal government has decided to close the border to imports of live cattle from Canada, as well as specifically risky beef products like craniums, brains, trigeminal ganglion, eyes, spinal columns, spinal cords, spinal ganglion, tonsils and small intestines. The decision was taken after a new outbreak of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in Canada.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) reported that it had discovered a new case of BSE, or so-called mad cow disease, in a 10-year old dairy cow in the province of Alberta.

The chief director of the National Service for Health, Quality and Food Safety (SENASICA), Javier Trujillo Arriaga, said that under instructions from Agriculture Secretary Javier Usabiaga, the organization would keep tabs on the epidemiological research carried out by Canadian authorities in order to maintain the necessary controls to protect Mexico's own animal health status.

yep OT still telling half a story, truth is no live cattle were going to Mexico anyway..As they were not allowed through the U.S.

Now you could put them on a boat, but was,nt economical to do so.

Tell me is R- calf still in bed with the Animal Rights people.

Ot enjoy....one thing I want to make clear I have no use for Dave Louthan.. But I don't post half of anything.

OCTOBER 17
Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up

REG SHERREN: Hi I'm Reg Sherren. Welcome to another season of Country Canada. Our 50th.

I've just done something that not a single Canadian cow has been able to do for over a year. I've just managed to cross the US boarder.

One sick animal and the American government shut the entire borer down a decision made by this woman. (Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman.)

The US has had a case of mad cow too - but the cow was born in Canada giving the American government yet another opportunity to say BSE is our problem, and their surveillance system is second to none. But is it? You are about to find out.

REG SHERREN: Canadian ranchers have been taking it in the neck and taking it in the pocketbook ever since that first cow was discovered back in Alberta. But the Americans have problems of their own. Big problems starting right here in Washington State. You might say this is their ground zero when it comes to BSE or mad cow disease.

Moses Lake. Christmas turned out to be a bit of a downer last year. This is where American officials found what they said was their first case of Mad cow disease.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: This is clear indication that our surveillance and detection program is working. I plan to serve beef for my Christmas dinner

REG SHERREN: But it didn't take long for Secretary Veneman's claims to be countered by whispers even accusations that the discovery was more dumb luck than design. And there's one guy who knows exactly what happened … The man who killed the cow.

Dave Louthan spent four years on the kill floor at Vern's meats. Not all cows arrive healthy. Here the sick ones, known as downers, are supposed to be tested for mad cow disease. According to the U.S. department of Agriculture, they are the only cows that need to be tested for B.S.E.

And the USDA maintains the cow that tested positive in Moses Lake wasn't well… it was a downer … and that's why their surveillance system caught it.

I don't think so says Dave.

REG SHERREN: Let's be clear about this - was this cow a downer?

DAVE LOUTHAN: Oh no, that was a good walking cow. That cow could outrun anybody here.

REG SHERREN: When the truckload of cattle backed up to Vern's meats that day, the cow in question got mixed in with some downers. But Dave insists the cow was healthy, showing no signs of a central nervous system disorder… an indicator of BSE.…but it got tested anyway.

DAVE LOUTHAN: It was just a, a fluke, a technical mistake. Because I killed her on the trailer, that made her a backdoor cow. And she went in right along with the downers, and because she went in with the downers, she got tested. If I had put her in the pens, that cow would never have been tested and nobody would've ever known that that was a BSE cow.

REG SHERREN: Then Dave saw Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman step before the cameras and declare to the world that the cow he killed wasn't well..a downer.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: … like this one, a downer animal

DAVE LOUTHAN: So I went up and told - I went back out and told the USDA and the FDA guys that were following me around, I said, hold it. I don't work for the government. I ain't going to be part of no government cover up - that's when I went up to the front and I saw the news crew out there. And my head was just pounding. I thought, something just has to be done here.

REG SHERREN: The last straw, says Dave, came when he realized the meat from the cow was probably already on store shelves, or had been eaten, and the government didn't seem to be warning anybody.

DAVE LOUTHAN: I took my knives, I hung 'em up, I walked down the hallway, passed my bosses, walked out the front door, heard them say, oh ****, he's going outside. And I walked straight up to the news crew. I said, I'm Dave, I killed that cow, what do you want to know?

REPORTER: The USDA says we don't have to worry about the meat getting into the food supply.

DAVE LOUTHAN: "It's meat. If it's not in the food supply, where else would it be. It's meat."

REG SHERREN: Dave went public, and Dave lost his job. But it didn't shut him up. He got himself a computer and e-mailed every government inspector he could find, telling them how the mad cow surveillance system really works.

DAVE LOUTHAN: They wanted, they wanted me quiet and this thing forgotten as quick as possible and business as usual. But I kept shooting my mouth off. And so, they came back again - well, after that, after he left, I started seeing these guys following me around, I was here in town. They'd park across the street. I would go uptown, they would follow me uptown. I'd come home, and they'd park across the street, and my sweetheart was - my sweetheart said, finally at this point she said, no more. Take your federal agents and your mad cows and your reporters, and get the hell out,

REG SHERREN: Dave didn't stop there. He testified before state hearings…twice. The inspector general of the department of agriculture investigated. It found five people that backed up Dave's contention that the animal wasn't a downer, it was healthy looking.

But the department of agriculture still maintains, publicly at least, that the cow was unhealthy, a downer, and their system worked just fine.

REG SHERREN: THERE'S BEEN A NUMBER OF INVESTIGATIONS, AND A LOT OF THIS STUFF HAS COME OUT, DO YOU FEEL VINDICATED?

DAVE LOUTHAN: No.

REG SHERREN: WHY NOT?

DAVE LOUTHAN: Nothing changed. All that work and nothing changed. I wanted - the whole thing was, I wanted to sit down to a cheeseburger and eat it, and just worry about the cholesterol

REG SHERREN: SO WHAT IN YOUR, YOUR - WHAT IN YOUR OPINION IS THE SOLUTION TO THIS?

DAVE LOUTHAN: Simple. It's so easy. Test every cow.

GRAPHICS:

Publicly the USDA continues to claim the Moses Lake cow was a downer.

Internal USDA e-mails tell a different story.

"The term downer was used loosely in this case," writes one official.

"If (the cow) had arrived by herself," writes another. "It's very likely she would not have been tested."

REG SHERREN: Test very cow. The solution seems pretty simple, but nothing ever is. I'm back on the road, on my way to talk to a company that thinks that, simple or not, blanket testing is the only solution.

When we come back. A small company with a big idea … but you'll never guess what's holding it back.

TEASE CLIP: "To say no to help the big packers is crazy."

[[COMERCIAL BREAK]]

REG SHERREN: So, I've come even deeper into the American Heartland to meet with a bunch of people who thought their company had the perfect solution to this mad cow mess. Or at least they thought they did. Just as they started to get a lot of attention they hit a road block they never expected."

Down here in Kansas, folks take their beer, their religion and their beef pretty seriously, and not necessarily in that order. Here in the southeast corner of Kansas, you'll also find one of the biggest blue grass festivals in the world.

And a small beef processor that would like to get a lot bigger. Chief operating officer for Creekstone Farms - Bill Fielding is always ready to sell.

CREEKSTONE CEO BILL FIELDING: These are absolutely the best hamburgers you would ever have in your life.

REG SHERREN: Oh come on that's a little bit of a sell job.

BILL FIELDING: Better than Canadian anything else

REG SHERREN: I didn't expect to see any competitor's product going on the grill

REG SHERREN: Creekstone is state of the art, one of the most modern meat processing facilities in the world..and it relies heavily on foreign markets. Or, at least, it used to. One mad cow in Moses Lake changed all that, closing the door to most export sales, and costing Creekstone it's number one customer.

REG SHERREN: How critical is the Japanese market to your company?

BILL FIELDING: It's extremely critical it is we were shipping 30 to 40 percent of our product to Asia most of that going to Japan

REG SHERREN: And overnight that was over.

BILL FIELDING: And overnight it's cut off completely, it cut our production back to three days a week.

REG SHERREN: What followed were job losses in a place that could hardly afford to lose any more jobs - jobs that keep a roof over the heads of Robert and Julie Munoz and their kids. Many of their colleagues weren't as lucky.

ROBERT MUNOZ: I've talked to you know some of my friends that actually had to give up homes had to give up certain things that they'd worked to have and because they didn't have the income anymore

REG SHERREN: The only way out of the mess, according to Bill Fielding…was to test every animal. Japan , their prime customer - demanded it and the customer is always right.

BILL FIELDING: It was a no brainer the cost of the test was 20 dollars and we did our homework on that.

REG SHERREN: The company spent hundreds of thousands of dollars building a BSE lab, right in the plant.

REG SHERREN: So the whole idea here is that as these heads come by the sample would come out come in here?

BILL FIELDING: Yes the head would go on the table there we take the brain stem sample would be put in a vial that would pass through the window and would come in the lab here and then we'd be able to go through the whole process and in a matter of about 4 to five hours we'd have a result.

REG SHERREN: But Creekstone still needed permission from Veneman's department. It didn't get it.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN CLIP: (saying to test every cow is not scientifically warranted.)

REG SHERREN: Creekstone only processes cattle under two and a half years old. Too young test, said the agriculture department. To young to detect bse. It was a huge blow to the company.

REG SHERREN: (This lab has) never been used?

BILL FIELDING: No unfortunately it's completely empty we're not allowed to do one test. Their argument has no merit whatsoever and when you challenge them with just very common sense kind of questions there's not a good answer.

REG SHERREN: Bill is convinced the real reason for turning Creekstone down, is money. If he went ahead with 100 percent testing, the big packers would face enormous pressure to do the same… and the price tag for that could hit a billion dollars. Even so Bill's not about to shut -up yet either.

BILL FIELDING: What more would you ever want than a customer who will pay the price for what they are asking for that allows you to run your business, grow your business and for our government to say no you can't say that because we're going to help the big packers is crazy.

GRAPHICS:

ANN VENEMAN'S DEPARTMENT CLAIMS BSE CAN'T BE DETECTED IN CATTLE UNDER 30 MONTHS IN AGE.

YET IN THE LAST TWO YEARS THE USDA TESTED MANY COWS UNDER THE AGE OF 30 MONTHS, WITH MORE THAN 2000 SHOWING BSE SYMPTOMS

REG SHERREN: In this country it's the United States department of Agriculture that keeps an eye on the beef, but just how good is their surveillance program? To find out I've come here to Colorado to talk to a man who worked inside the system.

More cows than people live Fort Morgan Colorado. Or more precisely, they die in Fort Morgan . This gigantic slaughter plant, kills thousands every day. This is also where thousands of veterinarians and inspectors across the country are supposed to carry out mad cow surveillance orders every day.

If you ask Secretary of Agriculture Ann Venemen … it's a system that's been honed to perfection.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN CLIP: We have been taking steps since 1990 to protect our beef supply from this disease. In the last year we have tested 20,526 head of cattle for BSE which is triple the previous year of 2002.

REG SHERREN: I'm looking for a second opinion … but people on the inside rarely speak out. The government likes to keep a tight lid on controversy. Most of the inspectors and veterinarians we contacted were afraid to talk to us.

SOUND UP: Hi, I'm Reg Sherren.

REG SHERREN: Michael Schwochert is a career veterinarian … who worked for the U.S.D.A. for seven years. Medical issues forced Michael's retirement, not that he ever felt comfortable working for the agriculture department.

MICHAEL SCHWOCHERT: I never felt like I was on solid ground, when I was in private industry. I was given the tools that I needed to do my job I didn't feel like I was on loose footing, the whole time I worked for the USDA I felt like I was on gravel.

REG SHERREN: Even so, he was happy when an order was issued to test every cow showing possible BSE symptoms. A year later he discovered an animal doing exactly that.

MICHAEL SCHWOCHERT: so I notified them that we had this animal and that they needed to come and pick up the sample. Well the veterinarian that was in this area was substituting in another area and they didn't have anybody available and they made the determination that this was not a high-risk animal and no sample was taken

REG SHERREN: You found one and in a low risk plant so what does that say to you?

MICHAEL SCHWOCHERT: Well where there's one skunk there's usually a den.

REG SHERREN: According to the USDA's own internal records Michaels wasn't the only case.

The department failed to test another BSE suspect case in California in July of 2002. And another in Georgia in the same month. And then in Wisconsin and then in Washington State … and then ….

… you get picture.

GRAPHICS: (US map showing where cases weren't tested.)

REG SHERREN: In total during 2002 and 2003 the USDA failed to test nearly 500 BSE suspect cows. Michael says it often left him wondering whether the government really wants to find mad cow disease.

REG SHERREN: Those inspectors do a hard job, they're looking for the needle in the haystack all day long and that's a hard hard job and then if you find the needle and nobody looks at the needle then you really begin to question what you're doing there.

REG SHERREN: And, he says, industry quickly gets the message.

REG SHERREN: So if its got a central nervous system problem, get rid of it.

MICHAEL SCHWOCHERT: Bury it, burn it

REG SHERREN: Shoot shovel and shut up.

MICHAEL SCHWOCHERT: Yep

GRAPHICS:

In August 2004 the USDA's own Inspector General issued a 78-page scathing review of the departments mad cow surveillance system.

The USDA failed to test hundreds of high-risk cows because of "confusion" and "lack of coordination".

"The problems … impact … the credibility of any assertion regarding the prevalence of BSE in the United States."

REG SHERREN: So far you've met the man who killed the BSE cow - and heard his claims of a USDA cover-up. You've met the head of a company that wants to test for BSE - but can't because the USDA won't let them. And you've met a man who used to work for the USDA and wishes he never did. But what about the person who makes these decisions in the first place?

REG SHERREN: (On the phone) My name is Reg Sherren and I'm calling from the Canadian Broadcasting corporation

REG SHERREN: When we come back, in search of the woman in charge of it all.

TEASE CLIP: That's the last Canadian question.

[[COMERCIAL BREAK]]

REG SHERREN: It's election time and California has more voters than any other state. Hand-shaking is in high gear. So are negotiations for an interview with Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman. Two days ago, after weeks of requests I was told she's just too busy. But I also know she's scheduled to do a little barbequing with a California senator. The senator was happy to invite us. But Ann Venemen's people didn't seem that happy about it.

REG SHERREN: How are you?

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Hello. What are you doing way down here in Lamore?

REG SHERREN: I've come to ask you a few questions.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Okay.

POLITICAL AID: well she's here to talk about Mr. Ashburn today this is not an official event

REG SHERREN: No well we're here at the invitation of the senator and we're very interested in hearing what she has to say and speaking with her for a few minutes

POLITICAL AID: That's fine but I just want you to understand that this is not an official event

REG SHERREN: No and fair enough thank you

POLITICAL AID: Excuse me could you all give us just a sec?

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Well I am delighted to be here with Roy Ashburn

REG SHERREN: Secretary Venemen how do you justify keeping the border closed to Canadian cattle?

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Well we are going through a regulatory process, as you know we proposed legislation or regulations I should say to open up the Canadian and we expect that we will complete that process in the near future

REG SHERREN: In the meantime what do you say to Canadian ranchers that are going broke and there are thousands of them right now the losses are two billion dollars and climbing?

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Well just what I said we are working very hard on the process and I understand what's going on in Canada.

REG SHERREN: are you satisfied that your own surveillance program is functioning the way it should?

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: I am, I think our surveillance program has gone very well we've tested over 70,000 animals. Now just to put that in some perspective we tested about 20,000 a year before BSE got out and so far since June 1st we've tested over 70,000. We haven't found another case that doesn't mean we wont find another case.

REG SHERREN: So what do you say to the inspector general's report that suggests that there are many holes in the system that finding this cow was luck.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: That inspector generals report was based upon the surveillance program before we implemented the June 1st program the inspector general has signed off on the way we are now running the program. The report looks backwards what was wrong with it before.

CALIFORNIA SENATOR: That's the last Canadian question we're from the heartland of California.

AGRICULTURE SECRETARY ANN VENEMAN: Thank you all, thank you.

REG SHERREN: And that was that. No handshake, very few answers.

GRAPHICS: Remember Dave Louthan?

DAVE LOUTHAN: "It's meat. If it's not in the food supply, where else would it be. It's meat."

Frenchie- I read your pasting job and don't know what your point is--

Was it that the cow found in Washington originated in Canada?- and to be specific- in the same area of Alberta as the other two Canadian BSE cows-

--Or that some of the meat may have made it into the US food chain and was never found?

I think that is a complete possibility-- But has Canada been testing all OTM cattle for the last 10 years? NO

With the Canada-3 US-0 score for BSE origin cattle, I would give good odds that there is a much better chance that more BSE infected beef has entered the Canadian food chain than the US one---- But then that Canadian beef was probably exported to the US since Canada consumes only about a 1/4 of what they produce---This Canadian beef was then marked with a USDA stamp and passed off and sold to consumers as a US product- That makes this border issue a health issue.....Just because some possible infected meat got into the food chain doesn't mean that we should just throw open the doors and let more in..........

Frenchie- Crazy Horse put a good post on ranchers.net of the stipulations that should be put on the border opening-It also sums up my feelings for reopening the border-

Heres his post and my response:

Stipulations to be met before resuming imports from Canada.

We have to have %75 of our export markets back in place.

The difference in currency is equalized somehow, possible with the use of a tariff.

No beef from Canada over 30 months in any form until more is known about the cause of BSE.

Live imports from Canada are to be branded with an identifying mark.

Beef from Canada is to be labeled as a product of Canada to the consumer.

This is how it should be and after this is in place - LETS TRADE!

--------------------------

Crazyhorse- I don't think the currency one or tariffs will hold up under NAFTA-- but as devalued as the dollar is it isn't that much of an issue anymore....

But I could definitely buy into the rest of the idea- I could support an open border with those restrictions.....I have a couple of Senators I'd like to toss those ideas at.....

frenchie":1smcd9va said:
yep OT still telling half a story, truth is no live cattle were going to Mexico anyway..As they were not allowed through the U.S.

But Frenchie the Mexicans had opened their border to Canadian live if someone wanted to bring them in-- This action must mean that their Department of Agriculture is not as assured of the safety of Canadian beef as the USDA is......But they're probably not getting the packers big money lobbying power thrown at them as much as USDA is...

Apparently Mexico doesn't buy into this "North American" cattle herd BS thats been thrown around the last couple of years..............

Frenchie- I read your pasting job and don't know what your point is--

My point is you had 500 cows in the U.S that were reported for B.S.E type
symptoms and no test was every done.....on any of them ..hush hush

Was it that the cow found in Washington originated in Canada?- and to be specific- in the same area of Alberta as the other two Canadian BSE cows-

Point #2 You found the wash cow by accident

--Or that some of the meat may have made it into the US food chain and was never found?

Point#3 The 2 b.S.e cows in Canada never made it to the food chain.

I think that is a complete possibility-- But has Canada been testing all OTM cattle for the last 10 years? NO

has the U.S

With the Canada-3 US-0 score for BSE origin cattle, I would give good odds that there is a much better chance that more BSE infected beef has entered the Canadian food chain than the US one----

PROVE it Ot

But then that Canadian beef was probably exported to the US since Canada consumes only about a 1/4 of what they produce---This Canadian beef was then marked with a USDA stamp and passed off and sold to consumers as a US product- So it passed inspection twice and its unfit to eat...

wrong...... The majority of that meat came from cattle under 30 months.

I have no problem with cool btw .......

That makes this border issue a health issue....

B.s.e is known to affect animals over 30 months.....We are talking feeder cattle under 30 months here. Long gone before the majority of them ever hit 30 months.

YOur Health issue is protectism pure and simple...

.Just because some possible infected meat got into the food chain doesn't mean that we should just throw open the doors and let more in..........

So you are saying the Washington cow was possibily infected...

Frenchie- Crazy Horse put a good post on ranchers.net of the stipulations that should be put on the border opening-It also sums up my feelings for reopening the border-

Heres his post and my response:

Stipulations to be met before resuming imports from Canada.

We have to have %75 of our export markets back in place.

The ones you stole from us after our 1st case of B.S.E''

The difference in currency is equalized somehow, possible with the use of a tariff.

Typical response from a protectnist

No beef from Canada over 30 months in any form until more is known about the cause of BSE.

I was,nt talking over 30 month cattle.

So you are willing to take cattle under 30 months then....

Live imports from Canada are to be branded with an identifying mark.

in the U.S.D.A propsal already

Beef from Canada is to be labeled as a product of Canada to the consumer.

Do it.

This is how it should be and after this is in place - LETS TRADE!

--------------------------

Crazyhorse- I don't think the currency one or tariffs will hold up under NAFTA-- but as devalued as the dollar is it isn't that much of an issue anymore....

But I could definitely buy into the rest of the idea- I could support an open border with those restrictions.....I have a couple of Senators I'd like to toss those ideas at.....

[/b]

Ot...Its the same thing Mexico did to you when you found the Washington cow..

Can you remember that far back.

Frenchie-- We're close to agreeing on something.......

I agree with you on the tariff issue--and like I told Crazy Horse the dollar issue and a tariff will never work and shouldn't even be brought up- with the US devalued dollar it isn't as big an issue it was a couple of years ago......

On the export market I think we need assurances from our former customers before we go bringing in more beef-- without those exports open our markets could be severely depressed-- And USDA's job is to work for and look out for the US cattle industry-not Canadas...... We definitely need to be assured that importing Canadian cattle won't lose us more chances at gaining back exports.......

I also don't have problems with USDA's current proposal for UTM cattle--- where I have the problem with USDA's proposal is they have proposed bringing in boxed beef from OTM cattle-- Those that would more likely be diseased- then letting the retailers sell it as a US product to an unknowing US consumer....

As you said the hot iron brand is already in the USDA proposal---

And it needs to be marketed to the public as "product of Canada" so the consumer knows where it came from-- I said before - many times- that if the US had a COOL law up and running I would be in favor of the reopening of the border........But at least give the consumers the ability to choose........

US Rep Introduces Bill To Keep Ban On Canada Cattle

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--U.S. Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D, introduced legislation

Tuesday to stop the U.S. Department of Agriculture from lifting the U.S. ban on

Canadian cattle because of the country's problems with bovine spongiform

encephalopathy, or mad-cow disease.

The USDA unveiled a new rule on Dec. 29 that would lift the U.S. ban on

Canadian cattle by March 7.

Pomeroy told Dow Jones Newswires that his bill would prohibit USDA from

allowing Canadian cattle across the border until the U.S. regains the major

foreign beef markets it lost because of a BSE case found here in a cow imported

from Canada.

"First we get our markets back and then we re-open the border," he said.

Pomeroy said it was too early to tell what kind of support the bill would

receive.

USDA announced the Washington state BSE case in December 2003, and officials

said the cow was born and likely infected in Canada before it was exported to

the U.S.

"One Canadian cow that had been brought into the United States ... cost us

markets all across the globe," Pomeroy said."

USDA's latest estimate for 2004 beef exports is 444 million pounds, far below

the 2.5 billion pounds the U.S. exported in 2003.

The USDA has made progress in re-establishing U.S. beef exports to Japan,

traditionally the largest foreign buyer, while Canadian cattle have been banned

from the U.S., the congressman said. But deals have not yet been reached with

Japan and other major beef importers such as South Korea and Taiwan, he said.

By allowing in cattle from Canada - which just confirmed another BSE finding

Sunday - USDA will find itself needing to prove to Japan and other countries
that Canadian beef is also safe, Pomeroy said.

"Suddenly we reintegrate with Canada and we've got to prove two systems, ours

and Canada's," the congressman said. "It doubles our burden of proof."

U.S. Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D, introduced legislation

Tuesday to stop the U.S. Department of Agriculture from lifting the U.S. ban on

Canadian cattle because of the country's problems with bovine spongiform

encephalopathy, or mad-cow disease.

Sounds like more liberal political posturing to me. Nice to see that you and the Hillary Clinton Dems are so tight.

The USDA has made progress in re-establishing U.S. beef exports to Japan,

traditionally the largest foreign buyer, while Canadian cattle have been banned

from the U.S., the congressman said. But deals have not yet been reached with

Japan and other major beef importers such as South Korea and Taiwan, he said.

What? Is Japan open or not? I know we have a deal with them.

ot..USDA announced the Washington state BSE case in December 2003, and officials

said the cow was born and likely infected in Canada before it was exported to

the U.S.

jUST CAUSE IT WAS BORN IN CANADA DOES,NT MEAN IT WAS INFECTED THERE..tHAT cow spent some time in the U.S

Pomeroy told Dow Jones Newswires that his bill would prohibit USDA from

allowing Canadian cattle across the border until the U.S. regains the major

foreign beef markets it lost because of a BSE case found here in a cow imported

from Canada.

"First we get our markets back and then we re-open the border," he said.

I would doubt some of your markets would still be closed if that cow had,nt made it to food chain.

Who in their right mind , would release meat from a tested animal till the results come in...