Boomless Sprayers

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone have one? Any experience with one? Ever plumbed one up yourself?

I've got an old 200gal 3pt sprayer that I'm thinking of putting a boomless nozzle on to spray on some places where it's too rough for a boom. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is how I did mine. Its adjustable as for height but I never move it cause I can use the lift just as easy. I've tried to shield the the tips and hoses as much as possible cause the sprayer goes into some bad places. The third hose goes to another boom underneath that has 3 tips on it. This is used for band spraying so I doubt you need this but again you might. The hoses all go to the valve box and I can spray left, right, both or band only. Pattern is about 30 feet. Works wonders on fence rows. I'm using the mod 140 boom buster tips on mine. This puts out 20 gal/acre at 5 mph and 40 psi. Have another set of tips but you have to run 10 mph to do the same and that's just way to fast for me.

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

All the fixtures are just standard plumbing fixtures I welded to the bar. If you buy the brand I use it all fits perfectly. I wasn't sure I was going to like it so I kept my other boom intact so I could put it back on. Never have. If you ever have trouble with your filters stopping up you won't with this setup. Less of course a dirt dobber builds a nest in the end then all you gotta do is unscrew it and clean it with a small nail.

Only drawbacks I see with boomless is wind. I also don't like spraying insecticides with it unless you have a good cab. Other than that I think you will love it.

Boom busters are a good nozzle. One problem,on a commercial basis, is eventually the plastic splitter inside wears and it can throw off the calibration. Many commercial sprayers have went to the all stainless steel "boominators". They come in just about whatever calibration you could desire and are a bit cheaper than the boom busters.

I just converted my 200 gallon cluster nozzle sprayer to a boom sprayer. Got it all done and working, and then decided that a cluster nozzle sprayer would sure be handy. I just mounted the cluster nozzle back onto the boom frame and put a splitter valve in the feed line so I can now select either boom or cluster. Gotta be careful where it's mounted, or the booms might not fold up right. Here again, don't ask me how I know this..........

I don't know what kind of nozzle I have, but it's like a brass center part with 5 or 6 nozzles mounted around it.

Doing it this way, you won't need a second tank, pump, etc., and can switch from one to the other in seconds.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to check out the pics tonight at home, the filter here at work won't let me see them.

Is the spray pattern pretty uniform in yall's opinion?

Thanks for the pics, those help a lot. I bought the old sprayer for $100 but the booms were pretty trashed. Started fixing everything up but got to thinking it would be handier with a boomless set up in most places. Looks a heckuva lot simpler, too.

Neighbor bought a boomless last year. He uses my boom sprayer more then he uses his boomless. A couple of reasons is foam markers don;t work so pretty good with boomless so you end up wasting chemicals and having skips and we rarly have calm enough days to get an even spray with the boomless.

dun: There are some fairly good/relatively cheap GPS systems out there that will work very well with a boomless sprayer. I hear you on the wind/drift thing though.

Alberta farmer":39gi5kx3 said:
dun: There are some fairly good/relatively cheap GPS systems out there that will work very well with a boomless sprayer. I hear you on the wind/drift thing though.

I tried one of the GPS deals a couple of years ago and replaced with the foam marker. Our fields are pretty erratic as to shape and they just don;t get the response to corners fast enough for my taste. With the foamer I don;t have to stop for a minute or 2 everytime I have to make sharp turns or corners.

cfpinz":15tohqap said:
Thanks for the pics, those help a lot. I bought the old sprayer for $100 but the booms were pretty trashed. Started fixing everything up but got to thinking it would be handier with a boomless set up in most places. Looks a heckuva lot simpler, too.

You are doing the same as I did. You should have seen that same sprayer 8-10 years ago when I pulled the frame from the junk heap. Its amazing what a little elbow greese and some paint will do to a piece of "junk". :nod:

Have you tried using the marker dye with a boomless sprayer? There are also adjuvacants you can add that will stop alot of the drift, but everything is money added to the cost of the project.

DustyH":2mwqy4ia said:
Have you tried using the marker dye with a boomless sprayer? There are also adjuvacants you can add that will stop alot of the drift, but everything is money added to the cost of the project.
That's the reason my neighbor with the boomless sprayer uses my boom sprayer. With the foam he gets much more even coverage.

I bought a 300 gl KUKER sprayer off a man in 1994 for $700. After changing it about every year or so the name tag is about the only thing original. I'll have some pics if they come out OK. I have it set up to run 17 8003 tips 20" spacing 30" high. I prefer this setup when i can do it, but if it's brushy I run 5 nozzles on the main bar, fold in the outer bars, and fold out my corner nozzles, boombuster 140's. For better articulation between sprayer and tractor, I use a 2" ball coupler, the pump rides on the PTO but is spring suspended with chain on both sides of the pump so it doesnt just hang there. Going in and out of draws and tight turns, the attitude of sprayer to tractor can get radical. Plumbing is standard, The input line to the teevalve has the spigot and agitator circuit with valve. Three outputs are controlled by the lever; the regulator and bybass circuit go back to the main tank separate from the agitation circuit. I like this setup better than a threepoint because I can pick it up and push it where i want it and can tow it at 70mph. The next mod is going to be adding a fresh water safety tank. I would be glad to share details with any one interested. -- Dale.

Thanks for the pictures. I have a couple of questions to ask somebody.
1. What is the most used strainer/filter coming out of the tank so everything won't get clogged up ?
2. When using a weed wick, I have a 10' by 3" pvc one and I need to know when it is out of pesticide? I need some kind of sight gauge, diesel is too expensive to dry wick weeds! rcp

On #2 you could drill a hole into the pvc and put and elbow on it and stick a piece of clear tubing on this and run it up to another fitting on top. This would allow you to have a sight gauge for the chemical. It'd be easy and cheap.

If your wick doesn't have this, you may also want to take some of the rough tape that they use on steps and stick this on the tube. The abrasive action of the tape will scratch the surface of the leaf and make for a better kill. It doesn't sound like much but it is worth the trouble.

on 1, I'm bad with remembering numbers but it seems like 300 mesh is what I have but I'm not sure.

YOU MIGHT USE A HAMILTON BOOMLESS NOZZLE. IT WILL COVER 50 FEET. I BOUGHT MY NOZLE FROM EBAY,ABOUT $40 TOTAL. THE PLUMBING FOR A SPRAYER IS SHOWN IN TRACTOR SUPPLY BLUE BOOK. TSC ALSO HAS PUMPS FOR SPRAYERS. THIS MIGHT HELP.
JOHN

Latest posts