boom sprayer or wick boom?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
the boom sprayer is way more costly..uses more chemicals too

the wipe doesnt use as much chems and no overspray

the wipe only will kill what it touches so i will need to go back and do it again when the shorter ones grow up

the boom will also put down fert at the same time. if i mow it first results are even better. but its more work...

im dong about 60 ac to get rid of weeds primarily...

any opinions?

boom is quicker too..i can buy the wipe..the boom i gotta borrow. bt i can get it custom blended to add fert and weed killer at the same time

I think if I was going after weeds I would go with a sprayer. Around here people uses the wick booms to kill unwanted grass like Johnson grass in there hay fields using round up.

The wiper type deals aren;t near as effective as a boom sprayer. You have to run enough chemical through it that it really wets the plant, frequently one side of the plant will die or wither and the other won;t. Amazed me when I say it happening. To be effective you have to wipe them from multiple angels and you have to travel sloer so that the wick stays wet enough to deliver the needed chemicals. Boom types are cheaper to buy then the really effective wick types. I have a wick type sitting in the barn that I screwed around with for 2 years then finally went back to the boom. The only real advantage that a wick has is that it targets the tallest weeds and doesn;t mess with the lower grwing stuff (like clover) Freuently by the time a weed is tall enough that it can be treated with a wick it has passed into more of a repro stage then a growth phase and requires more concentrated chemicals.
Just my experience!

I agree with dun. I tried weed wipes and that was the biggest waste of my time and fuel. If I am going to kill weeds I am going to gtive them a good ol fashion blast and it will either be by spot spraying or by boom sprayer. IMO weed wipes are half azzing it. I don't want to waste time effort or fuel doing something half way I want all weeds dead.

cool..hadnt thought of alot of that like half kills stuff.. i can borrow the boom probly from my hay guy but i hate borrowing stuff.

the stuff i wanna kill is taller than the grass..its dog fennel growing in bahia fields..i thought id just kill off the talller stuff,,but i guess grazon or something like that wont kill bahia and has 95% kill rate on dog fennels

http://albanyga.craigslist.org/grd/4540177414.html
the smaller boom sprayers are reasonable and I see them on craigslist.
the dog fennel needs to be sprayed while fairly young "12 to 24" if it matures its harder to kill. you can get a lot of the mature stuff by mowing in the fall when the stalk turns purple.
I have one field that I'm still working on but 3 years ago it was 6' tall and completely covered. I started mowing in late summer and the next year 75% did not return I did the same the following year and got most of it gone. This year I will do my first spraying on it and should finish reclaiming it. right now the DF is about 12" tall. When I had goats they would eat the young dog fennel.

dieselbeef":36vi566w said:
cool..hadnt thought of alot of that like half kills stuff.. i can borrow the boom probly from my hay guy but i hate borrowing stuff.

the stuff i wanna kill is taller than the grass..its dog fennel growing in bahia fields..i thought id just kill off the talller stuff,,but i guess grazon or something like that wont kill bahia and has 95% kill rate on dog fennels

I hate dog fennel I will drive 2 miles walk up 2 mountains to kill one of them. I don't mind ragweed cows eat the heck out of them and grazon is good but I prefer Forefront r&p

I'm not real crazy about dog fennel, but queen anns lace is a real curse.

skyhightree1":205dvnof said:
dieselbeef":205dvnof said:

I hate dog fennel I will drive 2 miles walk up 2 mountains to kill one of them. I don't mind ragweed cows eat the heck out of them and grazon is good but I prefer Forefront r&p

would you drive 2 miles and walk up 2 mountains on snake island? That's the real question

dun":2owb72lo said:
I'm not real crazy about dog fennel, but queen anns lace is a real curse.

that stuff is bad but my biggest weed problem is mares tale and dog fennel. I may get queen anne lace ever so often

M5farm":1t3e8jkk said:
skyhightree1":1t3e8jkk said:
dieselbeef":1t3e8jkk said:

would you drive 2 miles and walk up 2 mountains on snake island? That's the real question

H... NO The snakes can have those.

60 acres?

Hire it done and be done

Wicks? Tossed them years ago - not as effective as many will tell you.

Spray effective and fast.

Still cheaper to hire 60 acres done than worry about how to do it.

Trust me there is someone out there somewhere that can help you

Cheers

Bez_

Bez__":1ed4ta8q said:
60 acres?

Hire it done and be done

Wicks? Tossed them years ago - not as effective as many will tell you.

Spray effective and fast.

Still cheaper to hire 60 acres done than worry about how to do it.

Trust me there is someone out there somewhere that can help you

Cheers

Bez_

Hiring out can be good but if you can buy the stuff and do it yourself at the time you want to do it and keep the equip forever I would buy it and do it myself. Here one guy pays southern states to spray all his row crop fields which is cheaper than owning a sprayer... BUT he is also at someone elses mercy and schedule when it will get done.

dieselbeef":s6vh3br4 said:
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/hvo/4486183314.html

how bout that one

If the pump works and the tank is solid its worth the money. You would probably need to replace the cut off and hoses. The tips are the quick change which is what I prefer. while Its not a piece of equipment that is used a lot its worth the investment. Its easy to attach a wand and use to spray fences also.

M5farm":285pl35q said:
dieselbeef":285pl35q said:
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/hvo/4486183314.html

how bout that one

If the pump works and the tank is solid its worth the money. You would probably need to replace the cut off and hoses. The tips are the quick change which is what I prefer. while Its not a piece of equipment that is used a lot its worth the investment. Its easy to attach a wand and use to spray fences also.

true and what I did was make arms with different nozzles on them such as for nitrogen and just disconnect and connect arms and keep going.

i got a log splitter and a fert spreader that hardly get used. that isnt a big deal if it works when i need it. oh yea..post hole auger too...and um..the bushhog...sprayer..hmmm..where to put it

Latest posts