book recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Merck veterinary manual, if you can read that front to back, and comprehend it, you will be a better man than I.

:lol:

Here is my serious answer

"History of linebred anxiety 4th Herefords of straight Gudgell & Simpson breeding" 1939 by John Hazelton.

If anyone calls themselves a Hereford breeder and has not read this they are doing a large disservice to themselves and the breed. This book tells of the method and process that allowed Herefords to create and dominate the beef industry. Also illustrates the integrity and guts it took to breed outside the mainstream.

"Hereford husbandry" by Frank Farley

Good overall book

"Basis of linebreeding" by Jim Lents

$40 in the mail to Him gets you a copy.

Lastly, any of the original Hereford Journals. Especially the herd bull editions. These transcend breed and it is a dam shame it was bought. Every issue is a college course on husbandry to genetics to performance. Real sad we lost it.

after spending sometime with this reading certain things come into focus. Perhaps you may realize over half the tour list are all the same.

Ryan

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I find the history in Frank Dobie's The Longhorns to be fascinating. If nothing else it reminds us how the cattle industry started.

Quite dated, as it's a 1970 publication, but I enjoyed - and recently purchased my own copy of - 'World Cattle, Vol I & II' , by John Rouse. First ran across it in the veterinary library at UofMO.
Good overview of cattle breeds, production, uses, etc. in virtually every country in existence at that time in history. B&W photos, and descriptions, as well as historical origin of the various breeds/types.

Cattle Breeds, An Encyclopedia by Marleen Felius is a massive book listing about 700 different breeds from throughout the world. Who knew that there were so many? It has a lot of cool information on the history of domestication, of all bovines, not just taurus and indicus. It's great just for general interest, or for those who don't think that Angus or Holstein will provide them with enough efficient meat or milk it will give them plenty of ideas for the next fad niche breed to play with.

Thanks everyone. Gonna start looking for some of these. Anything more related to genetics and breeding and such? Just trying to expand my knowledge.

I've enjoyed "Man, Cattle and Veld" by Johann Zietsman. It's definitely not the normal sort of cattle book. Johann was the first person, according to Alan Savory, to do ultra-high stock density on a commercial scale. I've found his ideas on how to select for practical fertility most helpful.

So, while this book isn't about genetics, per se, quite a bit of it is about proper selection ... which, at it's core, is all about getting more of the best genes in your herd.

Latest posts