book recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

geish

Reaction score
Please recommend books that I should get on taking care of cattle and such. From the very basic to more complex.

I want to buy it for my parents. I'm sure my dad would read the whole thing.

Things we need info on that I can think of:

feeding
weaning
veterinary subjects
birthing
etc.
what else?

Heck, like I mentioned in my other post, we're very very very new to all this. We have friends that are helping us at the moment, but we don't want to be bugging them all the time.

Thank ya'll in advance.

If you will do a search for "Book on Cattle Wanted, Not Found" you will find about 34 suggestions for good resources when it comes to raising cattle. Just in case you don't know how to do a search, there is a button at the top of the screen. Click it and type in the above phrase. I don't know how to provide a link to the thread or I would have done it.

msscamp":1fms8nr0 said:
If you will do a search for "Book on Cattle Wanted, Not Found" you will find about 34 suggestions for good resources when it comes to raising cattle. Just in case you don't know how to do a search, there is a button at the top of the screen. Click it and type in the above phrase. I don't know how to provide a link to the thread or I would have done it.

Thanks camp. I tried to search for "books" earlier and didn't come up with anything productive.

geish,
dont forget about the internet. there is a merck online veterinary manual and more extension service type articles than you could ever read. not to mention this question and answer board..

There are a numbe4r of state extension offices that have excellent books that deal with both the general information and specifics for that state.
MO, TX, OK, NE, KS all have them, and the price is generally reasonable

dun

Beefy":15cb2qfd said:
geish,
dont forget about the internet. there is a merck online veterinary manual and more extension service type articles than you could ever read. not to mention this question and answer board..

Beffy, the book is mainly for my parents. This Q&A forum is for me. My parents are old fashioned and are used to those things called books. :p My dad wouldn't know the first thing to using forums. He e-mails, that's about it.

shorty":2ffr0ecc said:
Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas is a very good book

I could not agree more. You honestly owe it to yourself to get this one. I have it and it is worth it's weight in gold.

Z&J Cattle":1cczu8xx said:
shorty":1cczu8xx said:
Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas is a very good book

I could not agree more. You honestly owe it to yourself to get this one. I have it and it is worth it's weight in gold.

Do a check on ebay, right now used and new copies are up.

geish, The Stockman's Handbook by Ensminger, one of the best in my collection, along with Beef Cattle Science also by Ensminger. Those are excellent books. You may be able to find them on e-bay also. Good luck.

Katherine

txag":1qcjsn41 said:
http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/beef/infocenter/handbook.html

txag, how does this book compare to the ones by Ensminger and Thomas? Is this book you recommend spicifically for Texas. If so, maybe it's better for my use since I AM in Texas.
What do you think? Anyone.

The book by Heather Thomas is easy to read and understand you don't need a college education , My daughter got it for me for christmas a few years ago , it was on of the best things she ever got me.

Latest posts