Bonsmara

Help Support CattleToday:

Bonsman

Reaction score
Being a new poster to the board. I thought I would post a few pictures I took of my cattle. The heifer with the white tag has now calved. The heifer with the green tag is a 7/8 blood Bonsmara. The Bull is a full blood.

Thanks Dun

Where do you get your genetics from? Can you import semen from SA? Looks like you need to be carefull of not adding more frame and rather focus on some more muscle. Modern SA Bonsmaras are heavier muscled.

KNERSIE":ltkxg83x said:
Where do you get your genetics from? Can you import semen from SA? Looks like you need to be carefull of not adding more frame and rather focus on some more muscle. Modern SA Bonsmaras are heavier muscled.

Apparently, the SA Bonsmara Society made an agreement with a company in Texas giving them an exclusive right to import genetics. I have tried contacting the Society and they always refer me back to Texas. So all the genetics in the USA originate from one ranch in Texas. That is where I purchased my animals. The breed is heavily influenced by the J8 line. That is why I have the 7/8 blood calves--just working at another angle to improve genetics. I have 1/2; 3/4; and 7/8 blood females.

I will keep my feelings to myself about the exclusive agreement. But I will say that the Texas ranch has invested heavily into conducting research on the breed throughout the USA. So they should probably get something from SA in return.

Thus far, I have found that the females really do not "fill out" until they are almost three years old. They are having their first calves at about two. I breed them when they reach 800lbs. The slick hair makes them a little deceiving when comparing them to other animals. I have to measure the hip height/width to get an accurate assessment.

In general, my cattle are well muscled. I have the short stocky cows and the taller leaner cows. The heifer pictured is one of the animals with more frame. I think I need both types to market them in this part of the country. But I hear you loud and clear. I am looking for a balanced herd.

I started with 15 half bloods with full blood embryos. Now, I have 21 full blood cows. It has been slow; but I am finally at the point where I feel I can really start to make some steps with my herd.

A friend of mine from the Transvaal took embryos with him when he moved to Alberta, he has some of the top genetics available, and as he is a vet, is planning to flush embryos for export, I can put you in contact if you are interested, via PM.

Latest posts