Bonsmara

Help Support CattleToday:

Gordon

Reaction score
Bonsmara.

I am seeking help and or advice on the Bonsmara Breed regarding suitability in Northern Thailand.

Regards.
GT

I don't know much about the conditions in Northern Thailand, but assume it is very humid and tropical with the usual external parasites associated with it.

If so the bonsmaras will be suitable as the are bred with tick resistance in mind. Like most tropical breeds they are slightly later maturing than the British breeds, but can handle heat and ticks better than most tropical breeds. My only questionmark when it comes to bonsmaras is disposition. It may be just the very few herds I had dealt with, but they are a wild lot and make herding them a challenge.

For all the information you need regarding the developement of the breed and its inbred qualities, read the book "Man must Measure" by Prof JC Bonsma.

Gearld Fry has new stock, it has just been reprinted.

http://www.bovineengineering.com

Or contact the SA Bonsmara cattle breeders association, I am sure they will send you an infopack.

[email protected]

Hi Knersie thank you very much for the info I shall buy the book without delay.

The conditions in Northern Thailand are warm with a low winter temperature of around 11 degrees C and a high up to 35 degrees C Summer, our rainy season starts May to Sep, our land is approximately 20Degres north of the Equator.

Buy and large the growing conditions are fantastic particularly if we irrigate in the dry season, it has always been a source of amusement on the golf course when the Thais knock into the ground a branch to support a newly planted sapling and within no time the supporting wood has leaves and is growing well!

Once again Thanks for you help I shall keep you informed with our progress.

GT

You are better off looking for the book that Bonsma actually wrote, "Animal Production", even if it costs you 10x as much.

"Man Must Measure" is the American version. It has all the chapters out of whack and has several places in it that are "cut and paste" jobs from Bonsma's original publication. It ultimately lead the reader to different conclusions about some things than Bonsma intended, I think.

I haven't run into very many people that draw the same conclusions by reading the two books. The different versions result in very different conclusions.

Badlands

Thank you sir. I will try and track down the book, I have only been a member of these boards for a short while, reading the questions and answers of others I am learning quite a bit and enjoying the research.

GT

Gordon":1o2dr33j said:
Bonsmara.

I am seeking help and or advice on the Bonsmara Breed regarding suitability in Northern Thailand.

Regards.
GT

Gordon, here's a link to the Oklahoma State University "Cow Calf Corner" site. Their "Library" link is full of management and breeding articles. You might enjoy reading some of them, even though they may not help you. You might also consider emailing some one at Ok State and ask them if they're familiar with any resources that would be helpful. Good luck with your endeavor.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cc-corner/

There is also an early book called "Bechmark papers by Bonsma" that is a very good read on how they experimented with different combinations and how they measured tick resistance, etc.

I haven't read "Animal Production", but have read the other two I mentioned and have copies of both. Maybe its because I had knowledge about Bonsma's theories already, but I didn't find too many contradictory text.

If you can't find "Animal Production", "Man must Measure" will be a good second best.

Right, Knersie.

If you read the papers in Bonsma's original context, you can begin to understand what he was driving at, and what the purpose of his research was.

Linear measurements (body dimensions) as being promoted here in the USA actually have almost nothing to do with Bonsma's concepts.

If you read MMM first while looking for linear measurements, low cost, low maintenance, you will come away with some very inappropriate conclusions.

I haven't read "Benchmark Papers", but I have the "Wortham Lectures" he gave at Texas A & M, and I have several articles I photocopied from the South African journals.

Badlands

I did read most of the original text of Bonsma, thats maybe why I didn't get confused. What I like about Bonsma's work is the fact that he didn;t got caught up in scientific jargon.

Badlands":2sb2ev41 said:
Right, Knersie.

If you read the papers in Bonsma's original context, you can begin to understand what he was driving at, and what the purpose of his research was.

Linear measurements (body dimensions) as being promoted here in the USA actually have almost nothing to do with Bonsma's concepts.

If you read MMM first while looking for linear measurements, low cost, low maintenance, you will come away with some very inappropriate conclusions.

I haven't read "Benchmark Papers", but I have the "Wortham Lectures" he gave at Texas A & M, and I have several articles I photocopied from the South African journals.

Badlands
Any of this stuff on the internet?

KNERSIE":2aaoxygs said:
There is also an early book called "Bechmark papers by Bonsma" that is a very good read on how they experimented with different combinations and how they measured tick resistance, etc.

I haven't read "Animal Production", but have read the other two I mentioned and have copies of both. Maybe its because I had knowledge about Bonsma's theories already, but I didn't find too many contradictory text.

If you can't find "Animal Production", "Man must Measure" will be a good second best.

I have "Animal Production," "Wortham Lectures," and even a Bonsmara Breed Journal from 1971 signed by Jan Bonsma, but have not heard of the Benchmark Papers. Do you have any suggestions on how to optain a copy? I would love to read it.

Thanks,
Julian

Julian,

It was published by the University of Pretoria in 1989 to commemorate Jan Bonsma's 80th birthday. I bought my copy in a antique bookshop and have no idea where to even start looking for a copy except from the University of Pretoria, I think they have changed name in recent years. I'll try and find out who to contact and get back to you in a few days.

I have PM'd the contents page to Badlands to compare with the Bonsma literature he has got. He will better be able to tell you what is duplicated in his other publications.

I am going to go look at a Bonsmara bull in a week or so.... as soon as calving is done. If I like him and the price is right I want to use him on some of my high percentage Gert females.
I really like the look of them.

bward":1yx3gvfm said:
I am going to go look at a Bonsmara bull in a week or so.... as soon as calving is done. If I like him and the price is right I want to use him on some of my high percentage Gert females.
I really like the look of them.

Do you think you could post a picture of him?

Frankie. I'll post a pic after I get one... could be a week or two before I can see him.
NR, there is a couple of veterinarians ( a married couple) near Okotoks who came from South Africa that brought some embryos with them. That was a few years ago and now they have a couple 2 year olds and a few yearlings. Since they are both practicing Vets they are rarely home and that is why its going to take a while to be able to see them. The lady vet had such a strong accent it was hard to understand her on the phone.

Here is a link to some African bulls. wait for the pics to load.
http://www.arcadiabonsmara.com/

The lady vet had such a strong accent it was hard to understand her on the phone.

Its a good thing there is no accent when I type ;-)

It's strange that you struggled to understand her, our accent usually isn't too bad and most people understand the vast majority of us just fine. Maybe she have a hearing problem?

In my case I spent about three years in London, so there may be just a bit of a cockney accent to round of the Afrikaans accent.

The lady vet had such a strong accent it was hard to understand her on the phone.

Its a good thing there is no accent when I type ;-)

It's strange that you struggled to understand her, our accent usually isn't too bad and most people understand the vast majority of us just fine. Maybe she have a hearing problem?

In my case I spent about three years in London, so there may be just a bit of a cockney accent to round of the Afrikaans accent.