Bon View New Design 208

Help Support CattleToday:

BrandName1

Reaction score
If anyone can express their opinons on this bull and what sort of cattle they have seen him work on I would appriecate it a bunch.
Also, if anyone has seen any mature daughters or sons in production, Was the milk too much?

And for those that dont care for New Design genetics how does he rate i.e. good for New Design or bad for New design.
Here's his link
tp://www.agonline.com/bullbarn/angblkepd.asp?ID=58

Thanks everyone
Dares

Judging SOLELY from the numbers, he is a heck of a heifer bull. According to his birth wt EPD and CED #, you would be safe using him on even longhorn heifers! The EN$ number is awful!! but that is too be expected with most of the New Design family. $125 a straw is a RICH semen price though.

Hopefully somebody who has actually used the bull will post here.

i have seen some really good 208 cattle, but no "wet" ones yet. the high milk #s scare me along with the -$EN, seems to me like the two numbers go hand in hand (high milk=-$EN). i think you would have to use the bull on your easiest fleshing animals. another option you might want to consider since you like 208 is GAR Predestined, he too is a 036 X EXT. the semen is much cheaper and the get is impressive thus far.

I wouldn't breed any cows to anything that has New Design 036 genetics except if the semen was given to me and that was my only choice I had; and the bulls would be castrated with a knife and the hfrs spayed; and steers and hfrs would be sold at a sale barn for feeders. I am not a big fan of New Design

la4angus":1oyzf6qu said:
I wouldn't breed any cows to anything that has New Design 036 genetics except if the semen was given to me and that was my only choice I had; and the bulls would be castrated with a knife and the hfrs spayed; and steers and hfrs would be sold at a sale barn for feeders. I am not a big fan of New Design

You don't look like New Design cattle??? I think that is 2/3s of the breed!! I got a catalog from something called 'Dreamcatcher Genetics' and just about everything in there was sired or grandsired by 1407, 036, or Precision or had BOTH 036 and Precision in the pedigree. They need to just go ahead and start cloning 036. That way everybody can have one and we can save on the postage of mailing that semen all over the country.

We have seen some excellent daughters out of 208. They have also come from very good cows. I don't know the semen production history on 208 but with the semen as high priced as it is I would look for a son but I don't know of any that are proven yet so I also would turn to Predestined. I certainly wouldn't avoid the 036 cattle like some suggest, just be careful choosing which ones you use. There are good and bad cattle from every pedigree family. JMHO. Good Luck.

If there are any good 208 calves it would be due to his dam not the New Design genes!

Seen some, typical ND, narrow had some style though

la4angus":19h9vl9r said:
I am not a big fan of New Design

What Angus genetics do you like and why?

I think this excessive proliferation of the New Design genetics will eventually water down the breed. That said, I have a New Design 1407 bull and I really like him. His BW, WW, and YW are exceptional in his progeny. When we replace him, I'm thinking I might go with a different genetic line.

I believe '208' is dead and gone, thus the reason for the high semen price. I would really recommend going another direction unless you want frail made, small footed, tall framed cattle that are hard keeping. Did see a son once that was OK (must emphasize just OK, not yet PROVEN) and although I don't remember his name, I do believe he is in Select Sires.

I believe '208' is dead and gone, thus the reason for the high semen price. I would really recommend going another direction unless you want frail made, small footed, tall framed cattle that are hard keeping. Did see a son once that was OK (must emphasize just OK, not yet PROVEN) and although I don't remember his name, I do believe he is in Select Sires.

The son you are referring to is TC Total 410 - 14844711

He is very phenotypically correct and has been used fairly heavily in my part of the country at least. His accuracies should improve over the next couple evaluations.

I'M SURE NOT THE MAN TO ASK ABOUT PURE BRED BULLS, BUT MY UNCLE DOES HAVE A SON OUT OF ND 208. HE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE MUCH BUT THE FIRST SET OF CALVES WE GOT OUT OF HIM SOLD THIS SEPT AND DID REAL WELL. WE DID NOT KEEP ANY HEIFERS OUT OF HIM.

Dusty Britches":dfswz95r said:
la4angus":dfswz95r said:

I think this excessive proliferation of the New Design genetics will eventually water down the breed. That said, I have a New Design 1407 bull and I really like him. His BW, WW, and YW are exceptional in his progeny. When we replace him, I'm thinking I might go with a different genetic line.
I'm not ignoring you. Have been ina lot of pain for couple of days and taking a lot of pain pills. I should get back to you in a day or so. Mostly just reading. Hardly any typing.
Regards
Lloyd.

Dusty Britches":33xo333w said:
la4angus":33xo333w said:

IMO 208 is one of the better 036 sons. Most tend to have Noassatall disease. I do not like 208 milk epd for sure, way to high. Look at his avatar. That is the bulls he likes.

We have a son out of 208 that we used on our replacement heifers last year. Had a nice set of calves from him that weight good when we took them to the market and brought a good price. We plan on using him more this coming breeding season. Do not plan on keeping any heifers from him because of the high epd for milk. There are other good bulls out there like other people said and their semen is not as expensive.

BrandName1":36jzur7x said:
And for those that dont care for New Design genetics how does he rate i.e. good for New Design or bad for New design.
Good for New Design.

Latest posts