Bomb Cyclone

Help Support CattleToday:

Who is it that gives these strange new sensationalistic names to weather events that have been happening for centuries and centuries? And why?

I watched some national news and they were making a big deal over this. A couple inches of snow until it gets to New England. They might get a foot or more. It has been windy here in the Columbia Gorge. Yesterday the highest wind gust was 92 MPH. It barely made the local news....... Other parts of the country and you would have thought the world was coming to an end.

Well, it HAS been over 5 years now, and I guess they finally wore thin the "Super Duper Storm" moniker they put on Cat 1 Sandy, so had to come up with something else. .

I'm hoping, for my friends in New England still, that this is much ado about nothing.

Somebody posted a meme on here a long time ago. It had two plastic chairs laying down, and said "Super Storm Sand----May we never forget". Funniest thing ever been posted on here.

The aggravating thing (well, one of them) about living upstate NY is that, due to population differentials, if any storm event might even possibly touch NYC or the populous East Coast cities, the media goes crazy. Which, as far as that goes, is fine! There are a lot of people there so of course it's a focus. BUT! We have had entire towns upstate wiped out by these storms that supposedly "bypassed New York" (as in, bypassed NYC and hit us square on), and gotten not a peep of media coverage. Out of state friends text and email to say how glad they were to see that "NY" didn't get Blizzard X or Superstorm Y, while we're up here digging out of 38" snowstorms, or cleaning up flooded-out valley towns. :bang:

boondocks":3bc45o0b said:
The aggravating thing (well, one of them) about living upstate NY is that, due to population differentials, if any storm event might even possibly touch NYC or the populous East Coast cities, the media goes crazy. Which, as far as that goes, is fine! There are a lot of people there so of course it's a focus. BUT! We have had entire towns upstate wiped out by these storms that supposedly "bypassed New York" (as in, bypassed NYC and hit us square on), and gotten not a peep of media coverage. Out of state friends text and email to say how glad they were to see that "NY" didn't get Blizzard X or Superstorm Y, while we're up here digging out of 38" snowstorms, or cleaning up flooded-out valley towns. :bang:

It's the same everywhere drama and trauma sell the news ratings.
When hurricane Rita hit the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf you wouldn't have heard much about it.
All the coverage was of NOLA from Katrina. Looting and shooting at the National Guard by a bunch of animals makes for a lot better story than people actually working to put things back together.

Latest posts