Bologna: lunch meat or economic indicator?

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
June 16th, 2009 in Blogs
Julienne Jennifer Armentrout, senior food editor

http://www.finecooking.com/item/10789/b ... -indicator

One of the interesting things about being a food editor is all the press releases I get. Some of them have absolutely nothing to do with my subject area, like that release on garage door openers (?) I got the other day. But mostly they're pretty relevent--a new kitchen product or a recent restaurant opening, for example--and sometimes they're kind of funny. Take this bologna sales release I got. Apparently the people at A&P supermarkets have noticed a huge upswing in bologna sales during tough ecomonic times, and they created this bologna meter to illustrate the trend. Bologna sales are up 124% over the last five months (I guess it's good to be Oscar Mayer these days). So though other ecomonic indicators might be starting to look hopeful, according to the bologna meter, we're not out of the woods yet. Sorry, folks.

grannysoo":1191z12b said:
June 16th, 2009 in Blogs
Julienne Jennifer Armentrout, senior food editor

http://www.finecooking.com/item/10789/b ... -indicator

One of the interesting things about being a food editor is all the press releases I get. Some of them have absolutely nothing to do with my subject area, like that release on garage door openers (?) I got the other day. But mostly they're pretty relevent--a new kitchen product or a recent restaurant opening, for example--and sometimes they're kind of funny. Take this bologna sales release I got. Apparently the people at A&P supermarkets have noticed a huge upswing in bologna sales during tough ecomonic times, and they created this bologna meter to illustrate the trend. Bologna sales are up 124% over the last five months (I guess it's good to be Oscar Mayer these days). So though other ecomonic indicators might be starting to look hopeful, according to the bologna meter, we're not out of the woods yet. Sorry, folks.

Anyone want to buy 1,000,000 pound contract of Balogni? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AP_Bologna_Meter_2009_lg.jpg

not a good indicator in alabama, were bologna is poor man steak... the indicator would look more like a flat line on a heart monitor, the only upswing is when junior cut his teeth

alacattleman":18cx0ddv said:
not a good indicator in alabama, were bologna is poor man steak... the indicator would look more like a flat line on a heart monitor, the only upswing is when junior cut his teeth

roflmao...that's when you pull him off those vienna sausage and put him on the "man's food". :lol2:

Spam (Hormel) is also doing quite well. And McDonalds is thriving while white tablecloth restaurants close.
I like the all beef bologna, and that stuff is priced higher than good meat.

My ex was a bologna man, and I think it's pretty nasty stuff. We ate it a lot, along with deviled ham, and velveeta, when I was growing up. Every now and again, when you're real hungry, bologna on white with miracle whip is pretty dam good. I'm like that with Bog Macs, too. I eat one about every two or three years just to get it out of my system.

And good bologna is expensive for what we associate it with...

john250":1v2lahut said:
Spam (Hormel) is also doing quite well. And McDonalds is thriving while white tablecloth restaurants close.
I like the all beef bologna, and that stuff is priced higher than good meat.

Used to eat a lot of bologna (It comes in a plastic "skin", not a can Lammie) till I realized I could buy a pound of steak (round, chuck, and the like) cheaper than a pound of bologna. Course the bologna always went farther and lasted longer. :p

4 pieces white bread
3 slices bologna
cheese
Crisco
condiment of choice

Slice bologna in half and make one cut on the straight part and 2 on the rounded part.
Fry in skillet with oil until blackened some.
Bread should already be smeared with condiment and cheese layered on.
Lay 3 halves of cooked bologna on cheese straight from the skillet.
Top off with another piece of bread.

Repeat and eat. Constitutes one serving.

Condiment would be Mayo.

Bologna is a basic staple. I buy ~ two pounds a month (preferably Zeigler's) and that doesn't vary any with the macro or the micro economy.

Never thought about it til this post came up, but it would be a very good economic indicator. When you are cutting back on expenses it makes perfect sense to buy a pack of bologna instead of the more expensive sliced meats from the deli counter for sandwich fixin's. My husband likes it just fine; I could live without it. The nickname for it at our house is "slick meat".

This brings back memories. When I was young my dad always carried a lunch to work he was a carpenter. He always preferred bologna sandwiches. I am not sure if it was a true preference or a preference caused by trying to make a living and feed five kids and a wife. I know there is a difference but he always called it mistam for minced ham and I think part of the reason was so we kids could have minced ham sandwiches to take to school even though we all knew it was bologna sandwiches. As the weather got warmer each summer it was fried each morning so he did not have it go bad and of course he used mustard as mayo wouldn't last until noon in warm weather. I still like bologna but the salt content is too high to actually eat much of it.

Interesting! Well, poverty is one of the major concerns of the world's population and nations worldwide. Surely, if unemployment is rising, it is a sign that the economy is in bad shape. Over time, many unusual financial indicators have been proposed by "experts" that read like they may be more accurate predictors in the Bizzaro Planet. Also known as Htrae (Earth backwards), it is a cube-shaped planet populated by gonzo types of Superman and other DC universe characters. Here are some indicators of economic health that most likely make total sense to Htrae economic experts.

I'd think cheap whiskey, wine and beer sales might be a good indicator. Not gonna quit drinking, just drop down a notch or two. :cowboy:

TexasBred":36cjgi5i said:
I'd think cheap whiskey, wine and beer sales might be a good indicator. Not gonna quit drinking, just drop down a notch or two. :cowboy:

Oh he[[ yes. I was down to VO over the weekend.

Latest posts