Boiled Peanuts

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I finally found a place to get raw peanuts, now I need a recipe. :D It would be a plus if it was spicy! Well atleast I think.

My wife makes good ones. Her recipe is pretty straightforward. Fill a large pot with green peanuts, cover in water and add a 1/2 container of salt to it. Boil for about an hour. Take a few out and taste them. If they are salty enough for your taste remove them. If not, leave them in the water and they will soak up more salt.

Jogeephus":exvcsivg said:
My wife makes good ones. Her recipe is pretty straightforward. Fill a large pot with green peanuts, cover in water and add a 1/2 container of salt to it. Boil for about an hour. Take a few out and taste them. If they are salty enough for your taste remove them. If not, leave them in the water and they will soak up more salt.

Your wife sounds handy. Maybe you should have had her build your jenny

You can spice them up if you choose, however we just use salt. Just remember, it only takes about an hour boiling to cook them. The cool down process is where they suck in the salt...

dun":1raxoc33 said:
Jogeephus":1raxoc33 said:

Your wife sounds handy. Maybe you should have had her build your jenny

:lol2: She is pretty handy and based on the the results of my homemade jenny I doubt she could have done worse. I did figure out a fix simple fix for it. A pin set into a hole drilled thru the pipe threads. I'll just call it the Yugo of Spinning Jennies. :lol2:

I grew up in peanut country. Heck, my dad used to work at the dryer at night during the season and my uncle was a peanut farmer for decades. Why have I never tried boiled peanuts? Why do they sound so gross. Are they like beans? Do they get soft? Are they mushy? I can't wrap my mind around a boiled peanut and I have eaten peanuts in more ways that Bubba Blue had shrimf recipes.

Did I miss something from childhood? Is it possible I blocked it out of my mind.

Parched peanuts, peanut brittle, roasted peanuts, peanut soup, peanut butter, Peanut butter cookies, spicy peanuts...

Lammie":1v717shp said:
I grew up in peanut country. Heck, my dad used to work at the dryer at night during the season and my uncle was a peanut farmer for decades. Why have I never tried boiled peanuts? Why do they sound so gross. Are they like beans? Do they get soft? Are they mushy? I can't wrap my mind around a boiled peanut and I have eaten peanuts in more ways that Bubba Blue had shrimf recipes.

Did I miss something from childhood? Is it possible I blocked it out of my mind.

Parched peanuts, peanut brittle, roasted peanuts, peanut soup, peanut butter, Peanut butter cookies, spicy peanuts...

You have most definately missed out. All of the ways you describe peanuts above are ways that people ruin them. There is no better way to eat a peanut than to have it boiled. They do get soft, but normally not mushy. The flavor is incredible.

Go buy some and boil them now!

I agree, you gotta try them. Once you start eating them you just can't hardly stop. I like them a little firm and not mushy. I also prefer mine chilled but I have eaten them right out of the pot and they were so hot I've burned my tongue. Parched peanuts are only good if you are hungry.

And if you try them, please don't judge them by the quality of the canned peanuts you can buy in a store. I don't even like some of these brands.

Latest posts