Boiled Peanuts

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
I want your cajun boiled peanut recipes...also Jo..if you could send me a contact for fresh raw peanuts..would be great.

I ordered off this site last year because we didn't to get to ours on time.
http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/peanuts/ We have cooked them a million was.

Wash well with cold water. Fill pot with water and 5 lbs nuts. Add a forth cup of sea salt, 4 Tbsp of ground red pepper, and a half of can of old bay. Cook medium high (light boil) till the shells get soft try 3.5 to 4.5 hours. Drain, lightly rinse, let them cool a bit and eat.

We toss ours on a wooden box with a heavy metal screen on the bottom when they come off the stove. A 5 gallon bucket of water to lightly rinse. Once they stop dripping there moved right inside the door to the shop and are gone in 2 or 3 days. Most of the time we eat the shells and all but this depends on where you grew up it seams.

Thanks...some of the best I've had were served at a football game in Charleston SC, they had them cooking in a crock pot...I guess when I've tryed to make them I haven't put enough spice in them.

If I make them you will not say that. I use a hand full of this and a hand full of that. I like the day a trucker picked up a hand full an hour after I dumped them. He ate one and put the rest in his shirt pocket. He chugged his soda and a bunch of water. He was back 6 weeks later and just looked at them.

I have run out of red pepper and used pepper flakes, Tabasco sauce, the juice out of the jarred jalapeno peppers, and you know what ever I can find.

I did make them with "red hot hearts" (cinnamon candy), salt and a cup of sugar one time and set them out. They sat there for 3 days because they were pink and everyone thought they were Tabasco nuts.

Crock pots are getting more an more common for cooking them here. I still cook them in a pot but have learned if they aren't salty enough just turning the heat off and letting them soak will help them draw the flavor inside. This keeps them from overcooking and being mushy. I like them dente.(I think that's the description I looking for) For green peanuts, we use a half a container of salt in a two gallon pot and cook for 1.5 hours. I'll let them stand if they don't absorb enough salt.

Donna, I'd be glad to send you some if you just pay the freight. We grow mostly runners here. These are a bit smaller than the Virginia's which you are probably used to seeing. While smaller, the runners have a richer flavor to me I'm guessing cause they have more oil and fat in them. They also are more dente when boiled properly. I can probably round up some Virginias if you want but I can get you all the runners you want.

Next thing is whether or not you want them green. Green is the best. Stripped from the vine usually by hand. These boil quick but they will add some weight. If you go with the dry ones scooped out of the picker, these are good and have normally only dried a couple of days but they will take longer to boil. If you are going to store them, I'd suggest getting the ones out of the picker and putting them in a plastic bag and freezing them. You can pull them out later in the year and boil them. Freight will be cheeper too.

Just let me know next fall and I'll be more than happy to send you as much as you want.

Donna,

Since you're in Illinois...we always get boiled peanuts from Bandana's restaurants in Collinsville, Florrisant MO, etc. They are so... good. I've bought raw peanuts at Walmart and made them at home. They have a display (here it is at the end of one of the freezer isles) of peanuts. You just have to be sure you don't buy the Roasted. The recipe for boiled peanuts is on the bag.... they are so.........good I could eat my weight in them!! However mine never seem to get as soft as they are at Bandana's so I've debated putting them in a pressure cooker...

I'd like that recipe too as I've only ever just put lots of salt in the boiling water... no spices.

Jogeephus":1f40fobj said:
I like them dente.(I think that's the description I looking for)
I beleive the phrase is el dente, atleast that's what it is with pasta.

Wisteria Farms":2hg0a6kp said:
Donna,

Since you're in Illinois...we always get boiled peanuts from Bandana's restaurants in Collinsville, Florrisant MO, etc. They are so... good. I've bought raw peanuts at Walmart and made them at home. They have a display (here it is at the end of one of the freezer isles) of peanuts. You just have to be sure you don't buy the Roasted. The recipe for boiled peanuts is on the bag.... they are so.........good I could eat my weight in them!! However mine never seem to get as soft as they are at Bandana's so I've debated putting them in a pressure cooker...

I'd like that recipe too as I've only ever just put lots of salt in the boiling water... no spices.

We are not that far from each other...I acutally grew up in Collinsville, have family there. We moved from Glen Carbon to Bond County around a year ago to be closer to our farm.

I had no idea that Bandana's sold boiled peanuts (I'll have to go try them)! They sell raw peanuts at the Commissary at Scott Air Force Base too...but I don't think these peanuts are not the same as fresh raw (green) peanuts. I like them soft also...and the cajun boiled nuts are a real treat if you like hot stuff...especially on a cold day.

Well if you ever get down our way let us know... we'll meet you at Bandana's!! We're about an hour north of Collinsville but I like to shop in Fairview Heights. If you go sometime you also have to get some donut holes for the ride home....its become tradition for us. If we start out the door without them our kids have a fit! haha.

Latest posts