Boarding cattle???

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
Being a newbie...the question I have is I am thinking of raising other peoples cattle on my land. Is this a common practice if so how does one charge for this? We would be doing all of the labor and supplying all of the food.

Thank you.

On pasture where we provide the grass and water and overseeing of the health/well being, we chatge $7.50 per head per month. If I had to haul feed or water, provide minerals and health care it would be a lot more

Before considering boarding anyone's cattle, you need to be assured the boarder's cattle are worm and disease free. Don't need to introduce any new bugs to your premises or herd.

Also, consider the "value" of one's grass & pasture as well as any supplemental hay needs. IMO one needs to charge AT LEAST $1.50 a day per animal unit to come close to break-even in terms of hay, pasture, water, prorated taxes & insurance on one's property, maintenance, minerals, etc. When you consider a 1000 lb animal will eat 20 to 30 pounds of grass or hay per day (year around basis), and the cost of buying hay, you get the picture! Even at $6.00 a small square bale of hay, the animal unit will eat $2.00 of hay a day !!!

On a few occasions we have boarded someone's cattle for temporary "motel", we charge $3.50 a day per 1,000 A.U. This also "pays" us "minimum wage" for watching over their animals a few minutes a day on a walk through.

Don't be suckered into boarding someone's animals for way less than they cost you to do so. There are always vultures out there that are more than willing to take advantage of a "soft touch"...

;-)

On stocker cattle I charge $8 per hd per month, cow calf pairs $18 per pair per month. I furnish pasture, water, mineral, salt, labor working pens . Owner may furnish hay or I do at a cost for over wintering . Contract is for 6 months on stocker cattle and 1yr on pairs. Owner furnishes bull to rebreed cows .
I offer orderbuying service and marketing service on stockers. Payment is due 1st of each month and 1st month is free getting cattle used to new place, any health issues ect. Growing heifers is my specialty. Pasture is mostly bahia, dallas grass some old fescue with white dutch clover mix through out the pasture system. Cattle are rotated as needed with ample water in ground tanks.
Limited openings for winter 2009 / spring 2010 season.As I am going to renovate a couple of pastures this fall. Cattle form out of state must have all health papers in order.

It depends on where you are located and what you are going to facilitate.

The neighbor behind me has 5 quarters and he leases his land out per rate of gain, last year he got $11,000.00 per 1/4 from May until the end of Sept.

My neighbor to the east of me rents his quarter for $2.25 per day per cow/calf pair.

Now you would have to add in labor and cost of extra foods etc. will this include meds if needed. I do not think that is the best way to go and a lot of people will not want to pay you what it will cost for you to make a profit let alone break even. You are best to rent your land per cow/calf pair or for stockers by rate of gain.

You could always cheat and ask the university extension what the going rate is in your area.

BamaCowboy":5qc7gu0h said:
On stocker cattle I charge $8 per hd per month, cow calf pairs $18 per pair per month. I furnish pasture, water, mineral, salt, labor working pens . Owner may furnish hay or I do at a cost for over wintering . Contract is for 6 months on stocker cattle and 1yr on pairs. Owner furnishes bull to rebreed cows .
I offer orderbuying service and marketing service on stockers. Payment is due 1st of each month and 1st month is free getting cattle used to new place, any health issues ect. Growing heifers is my specialty. Pasture is mostly bahia, dallas grass some old fescue with white dutch clover mix through out the pasture system. Cattle are rotated as needed with ample water in ground tanks.
Limited openings for winter 2009 / spring 2010 season.As I am going to renovate a couple of pastures this fall. Cattle form out of state must have all health papers in order.
Hey BamaCowboy check your messages

the charges you ask about can very greatly.no care can range from $15 to $20 a pair a month for grazing.an that is you checking an tending the cattle yourself.full care can go from $30 to $45 a pair a month.an that tending to the cattle completely.feeding watering haying an checking on them.

Am always amazed when I hear grazing prices from the USA! No wonder you guys are rolling in clover in the cattle business! $7.50/month to graze a cow calf? WOW.
I would sure hate to be the guy owning the land.
Hillsdown: Please send the guy who pays $2.25/day over to see me. At 150 days I could make a way more in rent on my pasture than I could on my good crop land! Why would anyone in their right mind pay $2.25 a day?

Alberta farmer":41i52zev said:
Am always amazed when I hear grazing prices from the USA! No wonder you guys are rolling in clover in the cattle business! $7.50/month to graze a cow calf? WOW.
Hillsdown: Please send the guy who pays $2.25/day over to see me. At 150 days I could make a way more in rent on my pasture than I could on my good crop land! Why would anyone in their right mind pay $2.25 a day?

The 7.50 a month is a dry cow. They're gone before they calve.

dun":3msdlgqb said:
Alberta farmer":3msdlgqb said:

The 7.50 a month is a dry cow. They're gone before they calve.

The only deals in this area are grazing corn stubble for $.30 to $.35 per day, when you can find a dirt farmer who is not panicky to fall plow everything. Most places no longer have fence and water so it can take some work to get set up.

Some cattlemen will truck quite a ways east or south to get to corn stubble. I have thought about sending cattle to Missouri fescue for the winter???:cboy: Then I could focus on firewood and ice fishing!

Alberta farmer":r3rhii18 said:

I have brought cattle in before for AI and I get $4.50 a day per head. This does not include the sync (if wanted) heat detection items, breeding etc. If the owner doesn't have the facilities for AI then they ask to have them come here. If they are willing to pay that I am willing to do it. It costs me to have the facilities, feed and check the cows, fix fences they distroy , have them eat my cattles minerals which I then have to replace, insurance, etc.
I will not do it for any less. Having said that I don't want to have outside cattle here so.......
Double R

Latest posts