BMR Sudangrass for hay and pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Has anyone planted this? Not the kind crossed with sorghum, they say it makes a lot of hay and doesn't dry too bad. Truth or Fiction?

KMacGinley":1zlvcumw said:
Has anyone planted this? Not the kind crossed with sorghum, they say it makes a lot of hay and doesn't dry too bad. Truth or Fiction?

From what little I know about it, BMR (Brown Mid Rib) is a genetically introduced trait that reduces lignin in the plant, which makes it more digestible. It can even be added to corn.

I have planted plain Sudan, and Sudan (Sorghum) Hybrids in the past for hay. The hybrids are a superior during droughts but give up some palatability issues.

The pure Sudans are a tiny bit easier to dry and require plenty of nitrogen to make lot's of hay.

Try it and have a test run on the hay and let us know!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike: I have 10 acres along the river here that I would like to plant something in, the problem is it floods about every other year.

KMacGinley":1ynvlwoo said:

I have used the sudans and sudan hybrids in the past, but not the BMR, so I can't say. All I can say is, I hope the BMR sudangrass is easier to dry becuase the others are a real booger!! Excellen drought resistance in the hybrids, quick regrowth, but it is the devil when it comes to curing. Last summer brother planted about 15 acres behind wheat. First cutting it was about 4 feet tall, and it took 5 days of 95+ degree weather and 15mph winds to get it cured. Cows sure do love it though. I have a friend who cuts it for silage, and gets along real well with that, but I don't want to have to drag out the feed wagon every day.