BLV Bovine Leukosis ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The info I have seen is that BLV is somewhat common in the US, but not a big economic problem, and yet there is an eradication program in some other countries. This does not seem to make sense. What am I missing?

Short generational intervals in US, especially in dairies and small % of full expression of the disease from what I have read. Not all, but somewhat of a sanitation/bio-security issue between animals: clean needles and tools. Too much trouble? And the loss of genetics and economic impact of that and testing and culling. Education lacking? Ever had a buyer or seller ask or discuss BLV or heard about it from extension? Same place Johne's Disease was a few years/decades ago. Somebody finally started discussing it.

Ebenezer":2efcmcea said:
Ever had a buyer or seller ask or discuss BLV or heard about it from extension? Same place Johne's Disease was a few years/decades ago. Somebody finally started discussing it.

I had not thought of short generational intervals as minimizing the effect of some of these diseases.

State of Minnesota had a "free testing" program for Johnes for a couple years, then cut it to save money. Still seems to be plenty around here. How do the mega dairies approach issues like Johnes?

Worlds of prevention info printed in dairy magazines. Immediate removal from dam, clean colostrum and milk, fight it by degrees and years if that is a choice of the owner/manager.

We did an eradication programme many years ago after the success with Brucellosis and TB, was not that big a deal, small poorly run dairies seemed to be the biggest source and a turnover of their genetics was beneficial.

I would think these days with big corporate dairies with very diligent health programmes and strict quarantine things like BLV would be closely monitored and very easily eradicated by hygiene and testing and culling.

Ken

Latest posts