Bluebonnets!

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
I was out and about this morning and saw the first paintbrush and bluebonnets.. Always makes me happy.. Wishing you spring flowers.. :heart:

Isn't it a tad early for those? I haven't even thought about wildflowers this year. Mom always loved the wildflowers. She and dad would go out driving all day looking at them.

I'd give anything to see something green. Had no rain since February 2008 and about all I got left is dirt. Even the Flat Sedge is dead. Bought another 70 bales of hay this week hoping that'll carry me a couple of weeks 'till I can haul some of them off.

Take some pictures and post them. Ain't nothin' prettier than Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush.

I think they are in survival mode, but the 1/2 inch rain we had 4 weeks ago and 80 degree temps weve had since has coaxed some things along. Most of the ones I've seen are near the edge or the roadway (watered from what little runnoff that came off the pavement). Up the road just a bit is a patch of oats that has never been grazed. It is about 6 inches tall and headed out. Peach, plum and pears are just beginning to flower, dewberrys are too. Lots of trees beginning to green.

These were close to the pavement. The pine trees are starting to throw pollen also..The little pond by the new clinic I was at was golden with it..I took some bread and birdseed to throw out,the turtles really enjoyed the bread,don't think the birds found the seed while I was there. wish I could take photos,but don't have a digital camera. That may be my next year birthday present to me..

peg4x4":2bil6ggd said:
These were close to the pavement. The pine trees are starting to throw pollen also..The little pond by the new clinic I was at was golden with it..I took some bread and birdseed to throw out,the turtles really enjoyed the bread,don't think the birds found the seed while I was there. wish I could take photos,but don't have a digital camera. That may be my next year birthday present to me..

I hear you, Peg. My digital took a dump on me over the Holidays and I have yet to get a new one. I will when the tax refund comes in. Oh, the photo ops I have missed!

Went to the big cities (B/CS) this morning. Quite a few are blooming over their already. Little better rainfall last fall than here. This recent rain should really make anything that survived make a show. Not much grass to hide them either.

Saw quite a few blooming over on Hwy 84 between Waco and Fairfield Monday. Maybe all the rest will come on out now.

Its starting to look pretty here. The fairy lillies are beginning to bloom and the plums and peaches are in full bloom.

jedstivers":iush0vwj said:
We have lots of things blooming now and it is a little early. If anyone could post a picture of a Indian Paintbrush I would like to see what they look like, thanks.

Can't believe how hard it was to find a decent picture on-line. Most of them were almost unrecognizable, but here is a pretty good one. At least this is what they look like here, only you don't usually find just one. They are real flashy mixed in a field of bluebonnets.

View attachment 1

Latest posts