Blue Lacy Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Many years ago I inquired about cow dog recommendations and I had very specific requirements. A feller on here from my part of Texas recommended looking into the Blue Lacy dogs and pointed me to a discussion forum. I think his name was Ted. The discussion forum is long gone, absorbed by social media and forgotten.

The odyssey that Ted sent me on has changed my life. These Blue Lacys are an amazing breed, too intelligent for people who pigeon hole the dogs into one task. Every Lacy dog that I've own has been a cow dog, blood tracker, hog dog, protection dog, comfort dog. Most have been retrievers, too. As a good friend said, "You'll never have a friend like a Lacy dog."

Highly intelligent over time they figure things out and often they will sit and watch other dogs attempt something before they go in an do it. The other day while working cows, I was running the headgate and my Lacy jumped up onto the walkway of the alley. He ran up and down the alley, without a sound moving the cows through. One hung up at the squeeze. I shouted over to Ace, "she's hung up Ace. Get her moving." He looked at me, turned his head, looked at the cow and back at me. Then he jumped up onto the alley wall and growled and barked. She did not move. He hopped down and went to her tail, jumped up and growled and barked. She still did not move other than picking her head up to see him. He reached into the alley and bumped her with his nose. That's all it took. She quickly walked through to the squeeze. Who needs a hot shot when you have a Lacy?

I like high energy dogs but most people do not. The are born headers on livestock, but all of mine drive as well. Most people run blood tracks with GPS collars but mine run on lead because my first Lacy was shot by a poacher the first time I let him run off lead on a track. Lacys will bite when needed for self defense but will not grab and hold. They love to talk and can get quite loud, not barking not howling but somewhere in between. They like to touch and hate being alone.

Another good friend of mine said every rancher he gives his pups to puts the Lacy on the truck seat and the rest of the dogs ride in the back of the truck or the trailer. Yup, they are special.

But I guess I shouldn't brag too much. A lot of people do not like cur type dogs on cattle or livestock. A lot of people do not like the barking and prefer the bites on livestock. A lot of people want a dog to lay down to hold stock. Lacys will not lay down, but prefer to be on their feet. Being high energy, they will become very destructive when not challenged mentally and physically. But for me, I love my Lacys. They are perfect for me.

y4ms9PqNT_Tbjh0CQ8YzRaoQWi7uZdd0sEGTCRCfPvbIKDnAFkM5kIVOaFtrQxhLCVzr3Le8Eo_gKFWFH2ZnO7K7jmv1Y7__CXhbCg3gkmKsNi3C_2lR8mxolCiEQyIYwOXChDaLAJ01SdSloOf4qjCPYJ2pjg2Rq9jY_Qa0X-rxwbQwAyvWgh7cg_c_y5OJ5-D2nBPjYYGEP_VuFjenD_mOg

y4mU8cVZkSYr4ZWZyP4l5Nel11WmZsg-YSAZUjeKQHaa0D7JDeIuxZKT1dzsXWxoSmjRCONICwwWeM_6DIbesSYjmSVUAIgH07xYfF9AF1n-6HjFuF9qwY1SjalJBxCef3FAqM-Am4tXqOLWvlMR2cyHrNf52E_cy6SSojjJUdRzM62MYqB39BLne6-LCScptkB3gQpET9kukBincTX6o_7Hw

y4mQ0Kc8Brr1v19vdsq2UQbdNT1v3weEflilhxB6U4jXYhqRaberBxd2cnkUrxHe7Dm2vBO94LD5UX3lYyM5G8FNj3SwffVuzLUTT9UMQWcNRP8SFPJzHecn8Nmxlb_7JBs33xt-L8Ar2l-SsoUv9PCMTRaMrFg_W_a68H6ELiGGcmxBbpfJM-gaxKEhY4YL7AcsTmYd9y24_XbAMF7pNdx5Q

MayesFarm - Yes they will. There is a group of Lacy Dog owners that use them just for that. They originated from a greyhound, a scent hound (possibly a July Hound), and some say coyote or Mexican wolf.

I do not use my dogs for one purpose. They must be able to master multiple work assignments and stay on task while doing it.

In the 3rd picture above, the one dog in the background is a Lacy, but she has an undesirable coat that is similar to a Labrador. The one in the front and in the 2nd photo has the desirable coat - no undercoat, tight hair, sleek and slick in appearance and feel.

Latest posts