blue heeler

Help Support CattleToday:

Cobbkid

Reaction score
I just got a puppy about 10 weeks old and wonting to know how old can they start working cattle and do yall train your dog and how..

Cobbkid

Well, most of their work is instinct. We always taught the little ones by putting them on a herd with another experienced herding dog. They pick it up really quick. Then you just need to work on any commands you want him to know. Good luck
-Jamie
oh, ps, can you post a picture?

Thanks Miss Daisy.

Here are some pics of Cricket below. Click on them to make them bigger:

That is how she was when i got her her brother and sisters were like that. She is not full blue heeler she is part norwegian i dont know very much about this breed

CobbKid

from my experience...my blue heelers never needed any training...they would go out at very young ages and try to chase the horses around...Miss Daisy is right...most of it is just instinct

The people we would buy cattle dogs from would train them very slowly. They would start them on ducks and geese and then on to sheep and graduate them on cattle. The main thing you want to make sure is to take them slowly as not to get them hurt or gun shy from a bad cow or something like that. It really should come naturally to them. We always took ours slowly and around cattle carefully. Another thing that was great was trailing cattle. Good luck and enjoy!

what a sweet little puppy! i have an aussie, up untill last year i didnt have cows but he is a great chicken dog. LOL if the ladies get out figgie helps be bring them in he cricles around and walkes them right up to the door. he sitcks to me like glue, where ever i am he is.. {he belongs to my daughter} but i belong to him LOL Rose :lol:

when figgie was a pup he did. just little nips, once i had the kids to run around the pool in the ft yard, makeing sheep baaaaaa's. LOL it was pretty funny, :lol: he was on them , when they would stop, he'd nip them! they only did it once, could'nt talk them in to it any more. LOL i told them we had to train the dog ! it was along time before they told me "we're bored!" LOL Rose

Cobbkid":2wyeta3p said:
Do yalll ever have any problems with them bittin your heels.
CobbKid
Well, I got a border collie/heeler/australian, basically a mutt cow dog. He never nipped when he was a pup, but once in awhile when he gets excited he will just lightly nip above the ankle. A sharp "NO!" reminds him of his manners

By the way, your pooch is adorable! Really cute pattern on his head, and i like the red on his legs. Whats his temperment like?

yes By the way, your pooch is adorable! Really cute pattern on his head, and i like the red on his legs. Whats his temperment like?

Thank you miss Daisy
I think so to she came from a big litter she has 8 brothers and 1 sister.
CobbKid

Yea i now.. His temperment is good gets along with the rest of the dogs.. when is it ok to let them work around cattle.

CobbKid

Cobbkid":1g8hi221 said:
Yea i now.. His temperment is good gets along with the rest of the dogs.. when is it ok to let them work around cattle.

CobbKid

I teach em to come, sit, stay etc. first. I think they should have basic manners before you just turn them loose. When thats done, i let em go out and try. After a couple kicks, even the little ones learn where they need to be. When the pick up on it, begin teaching them commands while working, such as watch'em, keep'em, off, and so-on. Good luck

i really thank you for the help i was out thinkin are cows today and he was in the mule with me and was tryin to jump out to chase them but i was not sure if i wonted him chasin them right now.

CobbKid

begin teaching them commands while working, such as watch'em, keep'em, off, and so-on. Good luck[/quote]

Now how would i teach him the commands..
CobbKid

I don't let my dog chase my horses under any circumstances. I just don't like it, they could run themselves through a fence while I am not around. Teaching them commands is like training horses... to a point. Conditioned Response. Anticipate what he is gonna do, and command right before he does it. This method works for me but there are lots of others. You could probably find a book, magazine or article online or something with other ways so you can find one that works for you. :cboy:

Latest posts