Blue Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

That yuppie dog food, gets expensive fast. Might as well feed Ol' Roy as that stuff.

TennesseeTuxedo":3f5w4mvm said:
Poultry byproducts?

Wasn't there someone on here who feed chicken poo to their cattle?

This type, is not as bad. Probably feather meal.

Amazing that Purina is the one that started all this. Ol' Roy is rated higher than most PMI pet foods. True it probably was feather meal but could have also been the miscellaneous chicken products mentioned. This is all pretty common in the pet food industry as a supplier can easily mix in a cheaper ingredient into "poultry meal" and you'd never know it unless you had a lab to do your own microscopy on it. Blue Buffalo is still an excellent pet food although expensive. Much much better than anything Purina makes. All the recalls you ever hear of with Purina is "Aflatoxin" because they use so much corn in their dog food. Never owned a corn fed dog.

Is it just me, or do dogs make it a point to eat dead stuff and livestock feed/grain, even though you feed them quality DOG food???? :yuck:

Boot Jack Bulls":1xcrp0fl said:
Is it just me, or do dogs make it a point to eat dead stuff and livestock feed/grain, even though you feed them quality DOG food???? :yuck:
You mean like a "shyt eat'n dog"?? Had a few of those.

TB, every Australian Cattle Dog I have ever had would fall in that catagory. I feed them free choice, high quality food, including tons of raw meat, and they still just have to eat cow shyt and rotten dead road kill.

Ive tried several but the only one they really eat well is Purina One chicken and rice
Pro Plan is supposed to be better but they don't eat it well
When it gets really hot in the summer they back off on how much they eat
In the winter they pack it away

Boot Jack Bulls":3nkt3zxw said:
TB, every Australian Cattle Dog I have ever had would fall in that catagory. I feed them free choice, high quality food, including tons of raw meat, and they still just have to eat cow shyt and rotten dead road kill.
BJ if they don't eat it they will wallow in it and get it all over them. Everything in the world from shyt to dead animals remains.

Cross Pro-Plan has the big name and is made by the "Other" Purina (Not Purina Mills, Inc. ) but is really highly overrated as is Eukenuba and a few others that have the high profile. Usually the first 5 ingredients listed are all that are important and they MUST be listed in the order from highest inclusion rate down. If you see grain or any kind of by-products in it other than rice I'd avoid it. Higher quality dog food cost much more but requires much less per day for maintenance. And for you cat lovers, they do quite well on dog food. :lol:

My son trains labs and I have 5 border collies I'm feeding right now
We buy from Chewy.com
When you set up an reoccurring account and ship every 2-4 weeks it's quite a bit cheaper than retail

M-5":qhjjojvw said:
I feed the retriever brand from tractor supply , But I do give my dogs a cHoice .. Eat what I put in the bowl or go hungry .

Wish I had that luxury. With an indoor bulldog I'm forced to feed something that won't give her flatulence cause you can't stay in the house with one that does.

My wife works at a vet and they have had several dogs come in with kidney and stomach issues after eating "natural" foods like blue buffalo and call of the wild. Not sure why it's caused those issues and I'm sure it works fine for some folks, but that's what she's seen.

A.J.":3ufb0yuq said:
My wife works at a vet and they have had several dogs come in with kidney and stomach issues after eating "natural" foods like blue buffalo and call of the wild. Not sure why it's caused those issues and I'm sure it works fine for some folks, but that's what she's seen.
Never had the problem. What do you mean by "natural foods"?? Most vets recommend "Science Diet" which is also a corn based food but vets have worked a deal with the company and they make a killing off it.

Some foods advertise as natural, holistic, and grain free. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily. Different things work for different folks. The issues they have seen may be from people switching overnight instead of gradually transitioning from one type of dog food that may be more corn based to those which is a different composition.

slick4591":2ovq7x6g said:
M-5":2ovq7x6g said:
I feed the retriever brand from tractor supply , But I do give my dogs a cHoice .. Eat what I put in the bowl or go hungry .

Wish I had that luxury. With an indoor bulldog I'm forced to feed something that won't give her flatulence cause you can't stay in the house with one that does.
:lol2:

TexasBred":n77rmq18 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":n77rmq18 said:
You mean like a "shyt eat'n dog"?? Had a few of those.

Son had a bulldog. We were amazed at how house broke he was. Till we left him in the garage with a big pile of food and a tub a water while we were gone for three days. Came home braces for the mess. Garage was clean as a whistle.
I realized we got us a shyt eater. And a sneaky one at that.

Latest posts